• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sorcerous Stabber Orphen

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I wonder with this new anime out if there's any chance of the light novels getting licensed?

What? They were licensed in English nearly 2 years ago. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-07-05/j-novel-club-licenses-amagi-brilliant-park-kokoro-connect-sorcerous-stabber-orphen-novels/.133792
6 volumes have been released so far (with v7 coming out in July). There were 20 released in Japan but idk how long it will take for J-Novel to complete it, or if they plan to continue to the end at all, though. Reportedly the sales are not very good, it's not very popular in the English community it seems.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:20 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

6 volumes have been released so far (with v7 coming out in July). There were 20 released in Japan but idk how long it will take for J-Novel to complete it, or if they plan to continue to the end at all, though. Reportedly the sales are not very good, it's not very popular in the English community it seems.
But is it available physical? I tend to prefer to buy manga and novels in physical format. Which is probably why I didn't know about it being available in digital.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:23 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
But is it available physical? I tend to prefer to buy manga and novels in physical format.

Can't find a source that says it is. I am the same as you...but I will have to switch to digital soon or I'm gonna be drowning in a pile of manga and light novels it will become a safety hazard.... Laughing
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
But is it available physical? I tend to prefer to buy manga and novels in physical format. Which is probably why I didn't know about it being available in digital.

Orphen is a very niche property in the west, and it barely sells even in digital, which for light novels makes up nearly 50% of the market in English. So if it doesn’t sell well in ebook, it’s unlikely physical sales would be much better. Releasing in ebook allows for risky licenses (such as Orphen) to get a legal release that can support the JP author, while not wasting a bunch of money for the whole physical book and bookstore distribution for a product that may not even sell 500 copies. Besides, if you get a good e-ink reader, an ebook can be much more convenient than a physical book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2