• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zac Bertschy - In Memoriam

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Quite sad news indeed.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Irregular as they may have sometimes been, ANNCast has been a staple in my life since the very first episode; every single episode.

My sympathies to the friends and family.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
ANNCast has been a staple in my life since the very first episode

Same here. I remember listening to the very first episode of ANNCast when it was released. It was actually the very first podcast I ever listened to, and I've listened to almost every episode since. Even during long, long stretches of anime burnouts I would still listen. One of my favorite movies of all time is End of Evangelion, and I always loved to hear his thoughts on it. And as Justin Sevakis pointed out, we wont get to hear his thoughts and feelings on Eva 3.0 + 1.0, something I was really looking forward to.

His voice has been in my life for over 10 years. And even though I've only interacted with him only a few times on these boards and twitter, I still feel like I've lost someone close. He will be missed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DQBunny

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I never realize how much Zac's work was part of my life until I saw the news on Twitter this morning. Bleary-eyed, staring at Twitter on my phone, I honestly thought I was still asleep. It had to be a strange COVID-stress dream, right? Then I clicked through, the cat bumped his head against me until I was more awake, and it was suddenly real. And it hurt.

I have never met Zac in person. I interacted with him maybe once on Twitter. But his work with ANN has been a part of my life for the past decade and a half, going back to when I was a struggling reporter sneaking in time reading ANN at work. I was a huge fan of Answerman and devoured the columns. Zac was one of those people that was always there in the background of my life, whose work I consumed on a regular basis, and I figured he would always be there. Until he wasn't.

To magnify the hurt, there were those on Twitter who glorified in his death, and I nearly threw my phone against the wall. How dare they. No matter how you feel about Zac's work, it is no excuse to delight in his death. I am grateful to all of those who reported them.

My love and sympathy and thoughts go out to Zac's family and friends and especially the staff of ANN, who are carrying on while crying on the inside. You folks are heroes. From one journalist to a fantastic team of other journalists, reviewers and moderators, I want you to know that each and every one of you are outstanding.

To Zac, I will raise a glass in your honor. -30-
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:07 am Reply with quote
Man, it's kind of crazy to see so many users, some of whom haven't posted in years, come on sharing their thoughts and condolences. (Hey Veers! I know it's kinda my own fault, but I haven't seen any of your writings in *ages*. Hope you're doing well; thought you might've left ANN for good or something.... though considering how rarely I post here either, maybe that sounds rich coming from me Razz) It really goes to show just how long Zac's been a part of the western anime community, and how long much of it has stuck around in turn.

As I've said elsewhere.... as much as I've found myself disagreeing with and distancing myself from him as of late for a mixture of reasons (not so much from an anime standpoint as it has been from a cultural and personality standpoint), that doesn't change how formative Zac's writings were in the development of my tastes and critical viewpoints from my adolescence to my mid-twenties. Without him, I'm sure I would've been less likely to bother with stuff like Utena and Gankutsuou when I did. I also remember quite enjoying listening to his podcasts with Justin Sevakis for a time. His voice will definitely be missed here in these parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:57 am Reply with quote
This is so tragic. I've been reading ANN since the early 2000s and although I've never met Zac, I always felt like I've known him from years of reading his writing and listening to him on ANNCast.

He wrote some of the most memorable reviews and made some of the most interesting podcasts on anime I've ever heard. The anime of the decade ANNCasts are some of favorite podcasts of all time.

The fact that he devoted his career, and life, to anime shows how passionate he was. I'll miss his writing and hearing his voice. ANN will never be the same without him. My condolences to his family and all the ANN staff. Rest in Peace Zac
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:28 am Reply with quote
This was really shocking news when I heard about this. Zac has been such an influential voice in anime fandom and anime journalism. I always enjoyed listening to ANNCast and reading his reviews and his time on the Answerman column. I was really excited when he got to review Eizouken last season. Listening to Zac on ANNCast has helped me during difficult times when I needed an escape. I wasn't close to him like others but we did follow each other on Twitter and I talked to him on the Twitter timeline sometimes and I always felt honored that he followed me on Twitter. It all just feels so surreal that this has happened and my heart goes out to his family and loved ones. We miss you so much Zac.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:42 am Reply with quote
I did not know Zac, other than seeing his name on the random article I've read on this site, but even then I can tell that this is a tremendous loss for the ANN community and by extension a loss for myself. This site is often a sanctuary for my anxiety-riddled mind and as Zac was such a big part of what makes this place special, I feel the world is a poorer place without him. My prayers and condolences go out to his family, friends and loved ones during these harsh days, and it is my hope that he be raised up to a new and eternal life.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:45 am Reply with quote
You're going to be missed, Zac. I've known you nearly as long as you've been here and have enjoyed everything you've done. ANN will never be the same.

Emerje

Last edited by Emerje on Sat May 23, 2020 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dezakore

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:46 am Reply with quote
I cannot believe this! I'm beyond hurt. Saying that Im going to miss his presence on ann is an understatement. It won't be the same here without him. I remember when anncast first launched and every week I looked forward to hearing him and Justin talk about everything anime. I enjoyed him as answerman and reading his reviews were always entertaining. Rest in peace Zac you will be missed.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:53 am Reply with quote
I am very sorry for his friends and family’s lost.

There have been very few deaths of public figures that have affected me, but this morning when I saw these news there was a feeling of sadness.
I remember religiously following the Hey Answerman column. That is my most vivid memory of Zac.

May he Rest In Peace.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:56 am Reply with quote
While trying to let the news sink in, i've been coming back here again and again to read the comments and everything i've wanted to say has already been expressed far more eloquently than i ever could. It still feels so unreal, it's almost impossible to imagine ANN without Zac...my thoughts go out to his family and friends, i know from experience how hard this is to deal with, i hope they'll get all the love and support they need...

R.I.P. Zac, you will be missed.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:06 am Reply with quote
O.K., Justin founded the site but the guy that really made ANN as we know would be tempest. However, the guy that was the figure-head of sorts for ANN was Zac! RIP to the guy that would constantly rip "Heat Guy J" in the old ANNCast epi.
AckIsBack

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:47 am Reply with quote
I've always lurked here and rarely posted, but it'd feel wrong to not say something now.

I've been reading and admiring Zac's work for over a decade, since I was a dorky little kid just getting into anime. Like so many others have said, his work was truly formative for me. Although I haven't kept up with anime as much in my adulthood, I still continued to read his work. He had such a gift and such incredible passion, I always would have loved to have just a shred of his sense of humor or his writing talent. He was really one of a kind.

And as someone who often felt like an outsider being gay in fandom, it meant so much to me seeing an icon like him with a huge platform using it to stand up for us and all kinds of other people who were "outsiders." His compassion, bravery and conviction are always going to stick with me. I just wish he could know how many lives he touched and how much he bettered the entire fandom with his presence.

I wish I could do more than offer condolences to his friends and family right now. I hope seeing how loved he was by so many people can at least bring a little bit of comfort.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bones2039

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:54 am Reply with quote
Like others I didn't always agree with his opinions or his style, but Zac's love of anime always showed. His absence from ANN will be deeply missed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 20