• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tower of God

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambrose7

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:11 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I like the show... but, when its supposed to become better than HXH?

Why does it need to become better than HxH? Also HxH itself took time to become good.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:17 am Reply with quote
Ambrose7 wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I like the show... but, when its supposed to become better than HXH?

Why does it need to become better than HxH? Also HxH itself took time to become good.

How defencive... I have seen people say it's better, so I am curious, people who like this are starting to give me One Piece fanbase bides.

I think it's better if I just like the show and don't talk to people about it.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(at least I think so from the anime so far; I keep hearing how much webtoon fans hate Rachel)
>tfw the main heroine's not hot like the princesses
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:15 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Quote:
(at least I think so from the anime so far; I keep hearing how much webtoon fans hate Rachel)
>tfw the main heroine's not hot like the princesses

People hate Rachel for what she does later and her attitude not to mention we get more things from her pov. Taken as a whole in the first 9 episodes she actually doesn't come off bad, and the hate has nothing do with her looks. I kind of waffle on her even now whether she is just extremely misguided and bitter like hoh, or whether she actually is as evil as people think.

Yeah the whole world is weird. The tower itself is not a planet . It a building with hyper space allowing it to distort the laws of physics . But it's simply a part of another planet with its own civilization with at minimum jahad his followers , rachel, enryu urek and phantom coming from the outside . Bam for spoiler reasons is considered an irregular but I wouldn't say he is actually from outside the tower. The tower itself has mutiplr parts and the section people climb is na inner portion. Then there is an outer part still in the tower around that. What it actually looks outside the tower like no one knows.
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Pretty bad Hoh sequence. They pick a any character, they put a generic backstory with ANGST and they killed him in a forced and very stupid sequence to generate drama. It is the same as to index anime, but it is not a problem of the short time but of the writing.

it's just not convincing me the development of the story the characters have no charisma (except Anaak) very unlike the HxH characters whose duo of gon & killua worked perfectly, kurapica was interesting because of its background which was shown from the beginning, Leorio was the heart of the group and the most human. You can not compare to such a functional group with these loose characters doing random nonsense.
In any case, I don't think I should demand too much of it, this was written in 2010, it is logical that these stories are already obsolete in 2020.
Thaumana

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm still enjoying the show so far and became more curious about the world and their characters, although questions revolving certain characters won't stop raising. Episode 9 was pretty much about hints over hints, especially when it refers to Bam and something about his powers. The way most people in the series are talking about him implies that they somehow know about his past and the true(?) reason why he is here. It wasn't the first time that someone mentioned how the tower can "choose" individuals which apparently is considered a gift or some kind of granted perk which is seemingly enough to lose all the will to fight.

And then there is the mystery regarding the original perpetrator who left the letter for Hoh to manipulate him. The question is what may be the benefit behind this act. It's more likely that it was rather their goal to trigger Bam himself since they knew how he would react if Rachel comes to harm.

It is also hard to get a full grasp how shinsu exactly works at this point, because from what you could see during the confrontation between Hoh and Bam it kinda looked like it causes rather mental damage (so this is what the examiners probably meant when the participants had to overcome the water wall which might serve as a representative effect of pressure under water or something like that).
I admit, my attention span was also not in its best state while I watched the last episodes, so even if some of this stuff has been explained before it possibly escaped my attention.

Rachel's motivation still remains in the dark but from what we saw of her so far gives me still no reason to hate her.
TarsTarkas wrote:

Or is it guilt for having left him behind. There are a lot of question marks about Rachel. Makes one think that Rachel has a death wish, and a trip to the top of the tower to see the stars is the final entry on her bucket list.

Perhaps the hate for Rachel stems that there is another reason Rachel wants to get to the top of the tower and the reason Rachel took such a interest in Bam.Usually, you would turn such people over to the town or village authorities for their disposition or help. So little we know from that short snippet in the first episode.

I got a similar impression of her, and after the current events it kinda supports the theory that her own wellbeing doesn't mean much to her, even if only because she tried to avoid ending up as a hostage and thus not to become Bam's weak spot so he won't end up hurt by others.

Last edited by Thaumana on Fri May 29, 2020 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:49 pm Reply with quote
It was supposed to be a 10 Top betrayal, if they didn't rushed the episode... it just felt convenient. The webtoon delivered it way better
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:01 pm Reply with quote
While I'm still a little baffled by the fan reception of Rachel, I am starting to see why people might be very annoyed by her character and that could spiral into "hate". So far she is the built-in and perennial Damsel in Distress who seems to do little but be In Distress (or be sad) and while she keeps trying to avoid contact with Bam, she keeps landing in situations where she needs his help and of course he is there. That is at least due to the writing and not anything she is actually doing but if this keeps up in the story, I'd get very annoyed too that the writer doesn't move beyond that sort of interaction. Also frustrated to see her never do anything an actual person in her situation would do and start being proactive, assertive and fighting for her dream. At the moment, she seems to not care about that so much or anything really...
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:05 am Reply with quote
The main reasons for some fans hatred of Rachel has not yet been revealed in the Anime, so it is no surprise that anime-only viewers don't understand it. Those reasons will eventually occur, and then anime-only viewers can decide for themselves how they feel about it. That's already borderline spoiler territory, and I'm not going to say anything more about it.

As for shinsu: it is basically energy that exists all around everything and every one, sort of like the Force, only it gets denser as one ascends the Tower (this was mentioned in Ep 2, IIRC). Some people can manipulate it more easily than others, and those who have a particular talent for it usually become Wave Controllers on their teams. Even people with a natural affinity for controlling shinsu usually have to spend a great deal of time and effort mastering new techniques and improving their abilities. Also, they need to form contracts with the Floor Administrator of the Floor of the Tower they are on. These things have all been covered in previous episodes.

Baam has shown some unexpected things: with *no* training, he was able to resist the shinsu manipulation of a Ranker without any effort at all. Later, he was able to manipulate *a lot* of shinsu without forming a contract and without having any prior training. Then, when he did receive training, he improved at a ridiculous speed (this is made more clear in the webcomic, though it is also shown in the anime). Finally, he was able to master a Ranker-level skill after seeing it one time. This basically dumbfounds everyone who witnesses it. It's not just that it is exceptional, it's that *no one* has ever been able to do something that outrageously absurd. One Ranker has already called Baam a monster, and Hoh became so overwhelmed by comparing himself to Baam that it destroyed him.
WingTree#908239

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:36 am Reply with quote
Anneyuno1 wrote:
Pretty bad Hoh sequence. They pick a any character, they put a generic backstory with ANGST and they killed him in a forced and very stupid sequence to generate drama. It is the same as to index anime, but it is not a problem of the short time but of the writing.

it's just not convincing me the development of the story the characters have no charisma (except Anaak) very unlike the HxH characters whose duo of gon & killua worked perfectly, kurapica was interesting because of its background which was shown from the beginning, Leorio was the heart of the group and the most human. You can not compare to such a functional group with these loose characters doing random nonsense.
In any case, I don't think I should demand too much of it, this was written in 2010, it is logical that these stories are already obsolete in 2020.

When i compare TOG to HXH is the real story itself and not the adaptation. Even the Anime Director said in interview that if you are looking for a deeper story "read the webtoon", since they had to cut half of the dialogs and interactions that make the story much deeper.
The anime is doing a decent job to get you some idea of the story, but it is literally a superficial version of the story.

CrownKlown wrote:

Yeah the whole world is weird. The tower itself is not a planet . It a building with hyper space allowing it to distort the laws of physics . But it's simply a part of another planet with its own civilization with at minimum jahad his followers , rachel, enryu urek and phantom coming from the outside . Bam for spoiler reasons is considered an irregular but I wouldn't say he is actually from outside the tower. The tower itself has mutiplr parts and the section people climb is na inner portion. Then there is an outer part still in the tower around that. What it actually looks outside the tower like no one knows.

For what we know the tower is functioning like a planet of its own. We don't know if it's part of other planet. The doors from Bam's cave can be just a portal from other planet which existing in that universe.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:42 pm Reply with quote
The thing that most caught my attention this episode was the behavior of the masked maroon-skinned guy scarfing chocolates with Rak (didn't catch his name, if it was given). He seemed to react when Rachel was stabbed, as if he felt it himself, and then shortly after literally disappeared. So I'm looking forward to seeing what his connection to her is.

I'm hesitant to mention it though, since I know people will lob in with explanations or nudge-nudge heh-heh, wait-for-it comments they think aren't spoilers but are. Too much of that going on in here already, especially with all the Rachel commentary (even in the reviews, which is worse). Like, it would've been fun for us anime-only folk to feel the shock or the slowly dawning realization (however it rolls out) of her true nature, just as webtoon readers did, but we all know it's coming now, so so much for that.
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The thing that most caught my attention this episode was the behavior of the masked maroon-skinned guy scarfing chocolates with Rak (didn't catch his name, if it was given). He seemed to react when Rachel was stabbed, as if he felt it himself, and then shortly after literally disappeared. So I'm looking forward to seeing what his connection to her is.

The scenes of mystery-guy (he's identified as "Ghost" in the webtoon) and Rak watching the hide-and-seek test are actually original to the anime. In the webtoon, it's all the other administrators who are providing the peanut gallery, instead of just Leroro and Hansung.

spoiler[You have keen eyes. It's foreshadowing for the revelations in the final episode of this season (if my guesses of the pacing is right). Although the anime may continue to give us a little bit more insight into the situation than the webtoon did--there's still a fair amount of season 1 questions that remain unanswered, 100s of chapters later.] Unspoiler at your own risk!
scowler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Something strange is happening here—first, the tall and silent contestant who was hanging out with Rak disappeared. Then, Rachel was injured. Now, Serena, the final member of that trio, has decided not to continue climbing the tower.

I think you are confusing Serena with Endorsi.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Rachael's group included Endorsi and Ghost -- they killed all of the other Regulars in their group before they were introduced during the Crown Game.

Serena's group included Hoh and Sleepy Boy.

Also, the entire funeral scene, including its aftermath, is an anime-original scene.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:04 am Reply with quote
I feel like starting with the "tag" arc, either the writing is too confusing for me to follow, or they just outright failed to explain things to make it make any sense. Like, I couldn't follow what the rules of their game of "tag" even were (certainly not normal tag) until piecing it together in a later episode. I feel like this isn't just me failing to comprehend, but what they wrote was outright confusing as they said the tester was going to be part of one team or something like that, when really he wasn't really playing for either team, he was more like an "enemy" both teams had to defeat. I wasn't even clear that one team was playing then the other, rather than the teams actually playing against each other, which is what I would expect from tag. There's so many characters it was really hard to even remember who was on what team besides the main characters, such that I wasn't entirely sure if both teams were playing at first.

Also what the stakes were was completely unclear. First they say that if one team passes, then Bam will fail, making it seem like it's passing or failing on a team basis, then later they mention so and so is guaranteed to pass, so I guess there's actually individual scores after all, but then why will Bam be guaranteed to lose if his team fails? Whatever points or whatever people receive is never explained. Then later, they mention only two of his type will pass in the end. I'm pretty certain that none of these stakes were explained up front, rather they waited until the test was already over to mention it, which is just bad writing. Other things are really confusing for not explaining too, such as where do people actually live? Certainly not in the tower, yet somehow not actually anywhere they can see sky either? Not to mention the confusing politics where intentionally confusing out of context tidbits are shown. It just feels like a confusing mess to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8