• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf to Release Gundam Build Divers Anime on Blu-ray Disc

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Loved the dub and sub, will get.

Wonder why the gundams are now getting these barebones releases. Totally deserved a super special awesome editon like 00 Wing and G Gundam received.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Still no word about Gundam Seed?
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Wonder why the gundams are now getting these barebones releases. Totally deserved a super special awesome editon like 00 Wing and G Gundam received.

Nozomi probably considers the Gundam series that didn't air on TV in the US as more niche releases than the ones that did.
merr

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:47 pm Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:

I’d love to know what is going on behind the scenes. It’s got to be something with Sunrise. The release has been delayed for years at this point.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:08 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
dragonmastr wrote:

I’d love to know what is going on behind the scenes. It’s got to be something with Sunrise. The release has been delayed for years at this point.

was ure rightstuf said just two weeks ago its still coming this year, especially with the comparison and dub clip posted then as ewell.
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:09 am Reply with quote
It's great the fans of the Gundam Build series can enjoy this.

Personally, I think it's super weird that legacy Gundam series (ZZ, Victory, X, Turn A)
will never see English dubs, but side anime like the Build series are fully dubbed.
The mind boggles.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:29 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that it's not FUNimation who's releasing this. The hints were there with the dub & sub streaming on their website and they did put out IBO.

Regardless, I'm glad and will probably pick it up whenever I get the Build Fighters specials.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:08 am Reply with quote
Gundam0084 wrote:
It's great the fans of the Gundam Build series can enjoy this.

Personally, I think it's super weird that legacy Gundam series (ZZ, Victory, X, Turn A)
will never see English dubs, but side anime like the Build series are fully dubbed.
The mind boggles.

I wonder if their reasoning is that, since kids are more likely to get into these newer, more toyetic shows, they are the ones in most need of dubs in order to be marketable in the US?
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Opinions/thoughts...

Regarding Funimation: I get the sense that Iron-Blooded Orphans didn't do so hot for them. I know it got the Toonami run, but the reaction to the series seemed pretty mixed. Some people were especially disappointed with the second season. (As a longtime Gundam fan, I know I found it all pretty middling, despite some good moments and its admirable attempts to be different.) I think the thought originally was, "Hey, IBO could be the second coming of Gundam Wing in the United States, so Funimation has the clout to make it mainstream." I think if the results were more favorable, Funimation and Sunrise/Bandai would be doing more modern Gundam series, and Nozomi would only be doing legacy titles.

Regarding Dubs: I am pretty irked that older Gundam series, especially stand-alone ones like X and Turn-A, didn't get English dubs. Especially when those two had delays between DVD and Bluray releases, so changes could have been made. Anyway, from what I've heard, the older series just "look too old" and don't warrant a release with a dub. The cost of a dub outweighs the demand for disc sales. Meanwhile, these newer series have modern streaming releases to gauge and build interest and new model kits coming out to sell, so the dub can help with marketing. I think that's the deal. And the "Build" sub-series brand has really taken on a life of its own. I think Gundam AGE was an experiment to try to zero in on a multimedia juggernaut to appeal to modern kids, and based on its results, Sunrise/Bandai decided to strip things down. They realized the war themes and such were getting in the way. In a sense, it's sort of a denial of the Gundam franchise, but I feel like these "Build" series have become the lifeblood of the franchise now, allowing for the heavier UC stuff. Unfortunately, it means that other AUs are pushed to the side, I guess.

Regarding SEED: I think this has to do with script stuff. I think this is an EVA 3.0 situation, where there is translation nitpicking going on. Sadly, from some of the clips posted, it sounds like the script has some weird quirks in it. Like saying the Earth Forces want to protect a shuttle over the spaceship that is the Archangel during reentry. But who knows. I just hope shorter side material like Stargazer and Astray get a release.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
Regarding Dubs: I am pretty irked that older Gundam series, especially stand-alone ones like X and Turn-A, didn't get English dubs. Especially when those two had delays between DVD and Bluray releases, so changes could have been made. Anyway, from what I've heard, the older series just "look too old" and don't warrant a release with a dub. The cost of a dub outweighs the demand for disc sales.
The length I would guess is the most pressing issue. Old Anime still gets dubbed; Memories and older entries in the Lupin series, as well as re-dubs like with Escaflowne and Vampire Hunter D. So OVAs and films have a good chance(or a well known TV show via crowd funding). But a 50 episode cult show, highly unlikely to break even.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
merr wrote:
dragonmastr wrote:

was ure rightstuf said just two weeks ago its still coming this year, especially with the comparison and dub clip posted then as ewell.

I hadn't heard that, but I'm very happy to hear it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1