• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zac Bertschy - In Memoriam

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shterraarson

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:49 pm Reply with quote
ANNCast was a MASSIVE inspiration for me starting my own podcast. I throughly enjoyed his witty and sarcastic humor. He had so much to offer the world.

God speed buddy, I will miss you so much. <3
ajr

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:56 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I was listening to "Spring the Pain" again the other day - the first one I ever listened to, with Zac, Justin, and Bamboo talking about the Spring 2012 season.

Oh, that's one of my favorites! I also really liked the Decades in Review series, I've re-listened to those several times as well.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
It is very hard imagine ANN without Zac. He has been the face and the voice of the site as long as I'v read it.

Rest in Peace; you will be missed.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:51 pm Reply with quote
He seemed like a fun-loving guy with a lot to live for. Why would he go like this? It's all so sudden. I'll miss him.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:59 pm Reply with quote
What few interactions I had directly with Zac were great. He was a cool dude who didn't take shit and knew what to say and how to be kind.

RIP Zac.
childeroland

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Rest in Peace
supercreep

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely shocking. I've been reading ANN for a long time, I don't know what else to say. RIP Zac.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:54 pm Reply with quote
RIP Zac, it's been a while since I've posted a comment on these forums. Like many others, I've been following ANN for over ten years now and I have always read your posts/reviews. I respect you and I wish your loved ones with healing in this time.
ironwarrior

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Talk about surreal...I go to ANN for the first time in a year and see Zac died. Nuts!

I can't remember if this was my first account or the second as I've been out of the scene for 8 years, but I'm glad it worked!

Back in da day, Zac and I had some good-ole-throw down, verbal cage matches, but it was always coooool. Reading his reviews was like a fine delicacy of verbal skewering (ha-ha).

I had hoped he would have a chance to attend the small Tsubasacon here in WV, but I left the scene before I could nag him to come this way (I would have paid for his flight and stay.).

If he made it to WV during my absence, ROCK-ON, HILLBILLY!

Zac, just in case you remember, I'm sending Clare and Revy to guide you along, my brutha!
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm shocked to hear this. It's been awhile since I checked it out, but I listened to ANNCast for years and always looked forward to his reviews. He will be missed.
sailorvista
Aria Company

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:25 am Reply with quote
Just passing by to see if there any Aria news. Just lost a cousin on Saturday and now this. He will be missed. I ran in to him in 2015 at Otakon. We both came from Arizona or moved there. He will be missed due to his impact on the Anime community.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:49 am Reply with quote
I can sympathize with ya folks here, losing 2 of my con-buddies animation-loving friends who died in their sleep in the last 3 years - and they're also only in their 30s

Hanging out one day, then finding out what happened the next

RIP Zac - you were the funniest one in the site
Maur

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:21 am Reply with quote
I wasn't exactly a fan of Zac's... opinions, but I respected the man and his accomplishments nonetheless. He could be stubborn and condescending at times, but there's no denying he was the heart and soul of ANN and our world will not be the same without him.

I don't know what comes after this world, but if there's any peace to be found, may he find it and take solace in this testament to all the lives he's clearly touched along the way.
rarirurero

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:56 am Reply with quote
My sincerest condolences to the bereaved.

Over the years I had an on again off again listening pattern to ANNcast but would often end up with a number of back-editions to binge through while traveling, cause traveling alone is when I like to hear a friend's voice.

While I never knew him, other than what made it onto the casts that I didn't miss, it is clear that he was a great Mensch and he will surely be missed.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think I would have anything special to say, and well, yeah I don't, but even after these past few days it's still hard to believe. I didn't know him personally but listening to the ANNcast when I was somewhere in high school was one of the first times I was able to recognize "Oh, these reviews are in fact coming from a person, a human being." and went a long way to helping myself learn how to converse with others, even if it was only about anime. Whether I agreed with him or not I did grow to enjoy listening to him as one of the many voices I would go to about this stuff, so it's more than a little hard to not feel shocked and sad.

My deepest condolences to his loved ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20