• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:24 pm Reply with quote
reaslin wrote:
Still, I wonder why they give us another filler episode when there is a story to be told based on the books with an important part to play for Sirius Dieke.

One possibility is that they have rushed to fast to get to this point, assuming that the anime will cover the first two novels. In my opinion they needn't have hurried so much to get to the time skip, but perhaps it was necessary to cover a lot of ground in the first episode.

My guess is because the harem antics are more interesting
... as long as they get to actually showcase their personalities in a fun way.
reaslin

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
reaslin wrote:
Still, I wonder why they give us another filler episode when there is a story to be told based on the books with an important part to play for Sirius Dieke.

One possibility is that they have rushed to fast to get to this point, assuming that the anime will cover the first two novels. In my opinion they needn't have hurried so much to get to the time skip, but perhaps it was necessary to cover a lot of ground in the first episode.

My guess is because the harem antics are more interesting
... as long as they get to actually showcase their personalities in a fun way.

Actually, that is one reason I think that the first three episodes could have been four.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To be honest, the setup is a little flimsy, since the exact rules of this sorcerous tome aren't made especially clear. Are the stories that Mary and Maria witness in its pages literally playing out all at once, or do they only exist when the two are actually reading the pages? It doesn't really matter, I know, since the whole scenario is just an excuse to see some of the harem members enact their comedically unbidden desires upon Catarina, but I still found the loosey-goosey framing of the whole situation a tiny bit distracting.

Same. It seemed to only move forward when they were reading (or at least had the book open), but then how would their desires ever play out when it was closed (which should prevent the book from being able to absorb everyone's desires)? And how did Katarina keep eating when it was closed? Also why was she the only one who was acting normally??

I don't think they were happening at once though as Katarina realizes she switching settings, so a new one seems to start each time the book is opened.

maximilianjenus wrote:
• Can anyone at all tell me what the point of Sirius Dieke is?

If you played true love story which is a classic VN you should know the concept of spoiler[hidden routes]

I guess that's a spoiler, but her friend practically (or maybe literally, I don't recall) said that there was spoiler[a secret character route in the game] and then it was immediately implied it was Sirius.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Same. It seemed to only move forward when they were reading (or at least had the book open), but then how would their desires ever play out when it was closed (which should prevent the book from being able to absorb everyone's desires)? And how did Katarina keep eating when it was closed? Also why was she the only one who was acting normally??

I think the idea of it is, you open the book, you see the desire get played out on the pages, and if any one desire is allowed to reach completion, everyone trapped inside at that time is freed. Problem was, most didn't get to see their desires played out to completion because of Mary being too embarrassed/mortified to read further. Katarina had already achieved her desire - getting food in her stomach - well before the book was closed on her, so I imagine the "bursting" of the book implied to be from Catarina's consumption was just how the book would react if someone closed it after the conditions to allow freedom for those trapped within were met. As for why she was acting normally? Well, she just wanted food, while everyone else wanted her, except for maybe Alan but we didn't get a good enough look at him so we'll never know for sure if he was reveling in OOC like the rest.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:08 am Reply with quote
Another instance of "how much kindness can improve someone's life".
I guess they could have put this in a previous episode since it was mostly flashbacks, but I'm glad we got this kind of chapter now.
Uchay

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:26 pm Reply with quote
[quote="michizure"]
Quote:

Perhaps someone who is familiar with the Final Fantasy franchise can comment on whether this is an allusion to Milidiana Weistland, who appears in FF XIV? That character is the only other "Milidiana" I have found. Otherwise, it amuses me to think of it as a reference to Meridiana, the succubus who (according to one story) made Gerbert d"Aurilac into Pope Sylvester II with her advice.

Wait, where did you see this character in game? I play FFXIV on and off for a few years already and I never saw this character in the main scenario quest or any side quest before, and I have done all the quests up to the most recent patch. Is it a background npc?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Interestingly, a portion of the episode feels almost like a recap, with Anne standing by and reflecting on all of the different paramours Catarina has unwittingly cultivated ever since her body and soul were stolen by a dead teenager from another dimension (there's a real existential horror vibe to all of these isekai plots that just begs to be explored, now that I think of it).

One of the more recent Didn't I Say To Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?! novels spent a few pages talking about this. Its take on the whole thing was that it was more a DBZ-style fusion than a literal "one soul goes in, one comes out" ordeal.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:54 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
One of the more recent Didn't I Say To Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?! novels spent a few pages talking about this. Its take on the whole thing was that it was more a DBZ-style fusion than a literal "one soul goes in, one comes out" ordeal.

So it's neither personality A nor personality B but a new averaged personality C. Everyone loses!

Quote:
Catarina and the audience both can take comfort in one thing: No matter how the War for Catarina's Heart concludes, we know she'll always have Anne around to look out for her.

So basically, Anne has already won.
michizure

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, is James not going to mention the post-credit scene again this week? Yet, here we have actual plot advancement: Catarina accused of villainy by the Nameless Mobs, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Is some kind of Bad End inevitable, decreed by Fate or Some Other Agency (and perhaps foreshadowed by the excursion with the Book of Desires)?

In less weighty matters, the scene with Baron Shelley demonstrates that Catarina isn't really stupid as much as blissfully unconcerned about anything she doesn't care about (which sounds like a tautology, but isn't). She is perfectly aware of her own shortcomings, and the fact that Anne spends a lot of time and effort covering for them.

Anne started as Catarina's maid when they were 15 and 8, respectively. After the timeskip, that makes them 22 and 15 -- more like sisters than mother and daughter. From Catarina's perspective with her prior life experience, it's more like 15 and 17 becoming 23 and 25. Catarina doesn't much care about social niceties (master/servant, noble/commoner, or even Japenese oneesan/imouto), so their relationship is much closer than it might otherwise be. I think it has more of an "inseparable childhood friends" or platonic life companions dynamic than anything overtly romantic, however.

The question of what reincarnation means in this isekai story is an interesting one. In reviewing the first episode, Catarina initially experiences the memories of life in Japan as an outside observer and only integrates them when they advance to the Fortune Lover screenshot. This isn't meant literally, of course, but does indicate that it may not be entirely the Japanese persona overwriting Catarina's former personality. The Catarina we know may simply be the result of the original, willful girl gaining 17 years' worth of very different memories -- less lonely, older brothers, etc. This is in keeping with Catarina's impacts on the rest of the cast: they are still recognizably the same people, but they turned out much differently with altered experiences.

Sophia's case, when she sees her previous life as Sasaki Atsuko only infrequently and only in dreams, suggests that the linkage may run the other way. The reincarnation worked because their counterparts in this world were already fundamentally compatible on some level. Given the least opportunity (i.e., Catarina's friendship), Sophia developed the same personality and interests as Acchan, without having fully recovered or integrated Acchan's memories.

Uchay wrote:
Wait, where did you see this character in game?

I'm sorry: I've never played the game. Hers was just the only remotely relevant hit that came up when I consulted Google-sensei.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:48 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
Wow, is James not going to mention the post-credit scene again this week?

James still has no idea that the post-credits sequences exist. How do we escalate this to a manager?
meiam

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, we escalated from filler episode to recap (half episode) weeeeeee...
Uchay

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:40 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:

I'm sorry: I've never played the game. Hers was just the only remotely relevant hit that came up when I consulted Google-sensei.

Ahh, I just searched, and I think I know what you found. It was the lodestone, right?

That's actually a player's profile. A japanese one by their datacenter name, so I believe they might have lifted the character's name off the novel to name their toon, instead of the novel naming her after the game character. I think your other thoery about the name is pretty good though.

On another note, Anne really sort of got the short end of the stick in the anime adaptation (and any other character that had more focus on the chilhood arc), but at least the anime managed to show her a little.

spoiler[Do get accostumated with Bakarina making people fall for her at every step. It's the main gag in the series, even outside the main harem cast.]

She's compared to a black hole for a reason.
leongsh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:57 am Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:

She's compared to a black hole for a reason.

Yup. Super dense amd has attracting power that none escapes from her the moment you get close to her.
reaslin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
[H]er body and soul were stolen by a dead teenager from another dimension (there's a real existential horror vibe to all of these isekai plots that just begs to be explored, now that I think of it).

I always took for granted that it was a case of latent memories from a previous life resurfacing rather than body snatching.

Interestingly enough, spoiler[Sirius Dieke is the victim of a botched attempt at bona fide body snatching. As a result he uploaded the memories of a dying person, but only that.] I suppose we we will get there soon.

Last edited by reaslin on Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:17 am Reply with quote
This series was one of my favorites but the filler episodes have been bringing it down

Hopefully another season will be announced so they can animate more novel material. Now there isn’t many episodes left
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9