• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Studio ufotable, Founder Hikaru Kondo Charged With Evading 139 Million Yen in Taxes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:28 am Reply with quote
Tax evasion of this magnitude is no joke.

Last edited by cookiemanstah on Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:42 am; edited 2 times in total
D-arts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:39 am Reply with quote
Ufotable knows too well how to save money for future projects.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:40 am Reply with quote
Still, it's always a bad sign when Japanese prosecutors file charges; this can only mean that they have discussed the case with the relevant judges and have already come to an agreement as to what the penalties will be. All that remains is for the kabuki that is to be played out in the courtroom.
Telu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, looks like Ufotable is gonna take a break for a while.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kondo purportedly hid about 30% of the proceeds from some of ufotable's anime-themed restaurants in Tokyo and stored them in a private safe at home. The reduced revenue was then allegedly altered on the company's ledger books for the years 2015, 2017, and 2018, concealing a total of 446 million yen (about US$4.11 million)

These must have been some profitable anime themed restaurants in Tokyo, if 30% of the profits equal $4.11 million.

So tax fraud and stealing charity money, be interesting to see what sentence Kondo gets. Then we will have to wait and see what happens to 'ufotable'.

Tax fraud, one of the most idiotic white collar crimes there is. Sooner or later you are going to be found out. It is like investing in a future prison condo. Invest now, we have a cell for you. I can see Kondo now, giggling as he puts his bundles of yen in his safe.
Dab1za9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:44 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Quote:
Kondo purportedly hid about 30% of the proceeds from some of ufotable's anime-themed restaurants in Tokyo and stored them in a private safe at home. The reduced revenue was then allegedly altered on the company's ledger books for the years 2015, 2017, and 2018, concealing a total of 446 million yen (about US$4.11 million)

These must have been some profitable anime themed restaurants in Tokyo, if 30% of the profits equal $4.11 million.

So tax fraud and stealing charity money, be interesting to see what sentence Kondo gets. Then we will have to wait and see what happens to 'ufotable'.

Tax fraud, one of the most idiotic white collar crimes there is. Sooner or later you are going to be found out. It is like investing in a future prison condo. Invest now, we have a cell for you. I can see Kondo now, giggling as he puts his bundles of yen in his safe.

The charity money thing was never confirmed and seeing the investigation ended and they didn't mention it then it was probably false.
Hakase

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:56 am Reply with quote
Unlimited Money Works
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
A millionaire, hopefully he shared some of that to the poor animators
Sabruness

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:25 am Reply with quote
Dab1za9 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Quote:

The charity money thing was never confirmed and seeing the investigation ended and they didn't mention it then it was probably false.

OR they decided they didn't have enough to nail him to the wall yet so they let it drop and went hunting for more substantiated stuff to bone him with
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1