• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: San Japan Chair Resigns After Claiming PoC Guests Aren't Profitable

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Never understood what compels people to talk like that or post out of frustration without rereading and posting in a way that could get his point across in a non offensive manner.

Also just cause you lock your twitter account doesn't mean you can let your guard down and say something questionable.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:05 pm Reply with quote
This surprises me. Given it is an anime convention, I expected the most popular guests to be PoC. Do people really get hyped up more to meet dub staff than they do for the big name guests flown in from Japan? Or maybe this con is just so small that they don't have any notable ones?
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Yea I don’t get why people think they can say disgusting things on social media and think they can get away with it. But for me personally there is some grains of truth into that he said about inviting voice actors. There are amazing voice actors who BIPOC that don’t get invited because people don’t want to see them they want to see voice actors with very problematic tendencies...cough Vic cough...Also doesn’t help that most of the voice acting industry are white people that also plays a factor as to why not many BIPOC are at conventions to begin with as well.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:12 pm Reply with quote
The mention of how they like to book sexual predators and such made this seem more like a "joke" comment - an attack on the convention. Either way, bad way to go about whatever his goal was
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:12 pm Reply with quote
im glad japan takes this seriously on the surface.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:26 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
im glad japan takes this seriously on the surface.

You do know San Japan is an American convention right?
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:03 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
This surprises me. Given it is an anime convention, I expected the most popular guests to be PoC. Do people really get hyped up more to meet dub staff than they do for the big name guests flown in from Japan? Or maybe this con is just so small that they don't have any notable ones?

Obviously when it comes to anime it's made by, for, and stars 99.9% people of color. But often when the term is used in America they specifically mean black people. Given the timing of the comments, if people asked conventions to invite more black content creators in response to current events, and the con owner said this in response, then it makes more sense in context why they didn't mean Japanese seiyuu or staff. So I assume they mean invite more black YouTubers, or artists, or cosplayers which prompted this guys comments.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Not only downright racist, his statement is also absolutely nonsensical. An American anime convention absolutely require POC guests, such as voice actors (from Japan or dub) and industry personnel, even professional cosplayers, POC Guests are irreplaceable for North American anime fandom.

He thought he could get it away by voicing his evil inner thought on a private platform, and I glad he got exposed

POC doesn’t just mean African American, Asians, Latinos, and other minorities also qualify, and say, if they already have low opinions regarding African Americans, what do you think they would say to other minorities who suffer same or worse atrocities and discriminations nationwide? I am glad BLM movement exposes that ugly truth and make people realize there is so much that needs to done to achieve true racial equality.

After all, we can only condemn what those racists say, but we can’t stop what they truly think.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
And that without going with the fact the legalese "POC" is somewhat racist by itself, not only because it sounds like the South African term "colored" from the Apartheid era, but also the acronym shares the words as the term "piece of crap".
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:50 pm Reply with quote
His career wasn't ruined, he's still on staff and participating in making a diversity group, and apart from being called "stupid", hasn't had anything ruined.

Numerous Black anime voice actors exist and voice beloved characters, I'm sure it isn't difficult to find stars. Also his statement didn't even make it seem as if they've tried or make efforts to get some even as industry reps, booth manners for companies, and people hosting random fan led panels. People can't build fandoms and popularity if they aren't given a platform or opportunity.

Carrying a comprehensive review of their selection procedures only convinces me more that "not only did they not try to get them but they were actively not trying to get them"
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Dragon_Kaiser wrote:
There are amazing voice actors who BIPOC that don’t get invited because people don’t want to see them they want to see voice actors with very problematic tendencies...cough Vic cough...

Yeah, that had to be a jab at Vic.

DavetheUsher wrote:
Obviously when it comes to anime it's made by, for, and stars 99.9% people of color. But often when the term is used in America they specifically mean black people. Given the timing of the comments, if people asked conventions to invite more black content creators in response to current events, and the con owner said this in response, then it makes more sense in context why they didn't mean Japanese seiyuu or staff. So I assume they mean invite more black YouTubers, or artists, or cosplayers which prompted this guys comments.

Well, the article didn't say "Black." It said "POC." Isn't entire point of that term to make it inclusive so that all non-white minorities are included? It sounded more to me like they were saying white actors like Vic draw more of a crowd than the Japanese guests which surprises me, but I haven't been to a con in a pretty long time.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Numerous Black anime voice actors exist and voice beloved characters, I'm sure it isn't difficult to find stars. Also his statement didn't even make it seem as if they've tried or make efforts to get some even as industry reps, booth manners for companies, and people hosting random fan led panels. People can't build fandoms and popularity if they aren't given a platform or opportunity.

The original statement wasn't about them not existing, just that they're not profitable. While black voice actors certainly do exist, they are usually nowhere near as prolific or popular because their roles are often minor side characters, like Rock Lock from My Hero Academia. You could then argue there should be more black voice actors in prolific roles, and personally I'm all for anyone being able to voice any character they want, but unfortunately acting roles has become increasingly more policed in the past decade. It's become an expectation that only X people should be voicing X characters, which is presumably why there's so few black voice actors in anime dubbing; because there's so few black characters in Japanese media to begin with given the demographic of Japan.

Maybe I am bias because I grew up in an era where Hank Azaria voiced Apu, Phil Lamaar voiced Samurai Jack, Keith David voiced Goliath, and Cree Summer voiced Elmyra Duff, and voices weren't racially policed like they are now, but I wouldn't mind dub casting being more open. It would certainly allow more roles for black voice actors in anime, but that's a can of worms a lot of companies don't seem interested in opening.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:36 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Dragon_Kaiser wrote:
There are amazing voice actors who BIPOC that don’t get invited because people don’t want to see them they want to see voice actors with very problematic tendencies...cough Vic cough...

Yeah, that had to be a jab at Vic.

DavetheUsher wrote:

Well, the article didn't say "Black." It said "POC." Isn't entire point of that term to make it inclusive so that all non-white minorities are included? It sounded more to me like they were saying white actors like Vic draw more of a crowd than the Japanese guests which surprises me, but I haven't been to a con in a pretty long time.

Two things here:
I'm an Aussie, and even when I hear the term PoC Oriental Asians tend to be excluded into their own category, just as an impression from America. It usually tends to be referred to as those of African or Latin American descent, though can also include those of Arab or Indian descent too.

The second part, it comes down to availability and the audience, really. For American cons its easier to get the English VAs cause of them being, well, American, rather than flying out Japanese VAs, plus the schedules for Japanese VAs are usually pretty full cause of the Japanese work ethic and schedules. Hell, due to the whole Corona-chan situation all bar 2 Japanese guests pulled out of MadFest Sydney this year and it was easy for Madman to get a couple of American VAs to fill in at short notice. The other side of the coin is while the subs v dubs rages online, sadly the majority of those actually watching instead of arguing will be watching dubs, so they would be more interested in seeing the English VAs than the Japanese ones.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:42 pm Reply with quote
[quote="AmpersandsUnited"]
Яeverse wrote:
It would certainly allow more roles for black voice actors in anime, but that's a can of worms a lot of companies don't seem interested in opening.

*coughs in Funimation*
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Jeeze.

He was talking about black guests and when his comments got slipped on social media he blocked all of them deliberately. No kidding.

Way before he put up this Facebook response.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3