• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tower of God

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dandon223

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:07 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:

Also what the stakes were was completely unclear. First they say that if one team passes, then Bam will fail, making it seem like it's passing or failing on a team basis, then later they mention so and so is guaranteed to pass, so I guess there's actually individual scores after all, but then why will Bam be guaranteed to lose if his team fails? Whatever points or whatever people receive is never explained. Then later, they mention only two of his type will pass in the end. I'm pretty certain that none of these stakes were explained up front, rather they waited until the test was already over to mention it, which is just bad writing. Other things are really confusing for not explaining too, such as where do people actually live? Certainly not in the tower, yet somehow not actually anywhere they can see sky either? Not to mention the confusing politics where intentionally confusing out of context tidbits are shown. It just feels like a confusing mess to me.

They were evaluated individually. Bam would lose because only 2 wave controllers were allowed to pass. He passed as a second because Khun team lost and Bam team won giving him additional points. It is the same with Endorsii. She beat those fishermens so she could pass even when she lost many points from falling from that one platform.

Well how should I say it ti you , they indeed live in the tower. It was explained when Lero ro was talking with Bam. Of course Irregulars are from outside the tower. (you could say they are to regulars what aliens to us).

Politics was confusing because of the rushed adaptation. When I was reading the manhwa everything made sense.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:44 pm Reply with quote
dandon223 wrote:

Well how should I say it ti you , they indeed live in the tower. It was explained when Lero ro was talking with Bam. Of course Irregulars are from outside the tower. (you could say they are to regulars what aliens to us).

Politics was confusing because of the rushed adaptation. When I was reading the manhwa everything made sense.

I haven't read the manwha, so I'm assuming all my confusion is coming from the rushed anime. I'm still not clear on what's the deal with where they live though. I thought part of Rachael's deal (as Bam believes it to be anyways) was that she wanted to see stars. So if irregulars aren't living in the tower, then why can't they see stars? Is there like no outside? Or is Rachael not an irregular, and I guess somehow she found Bam inside the tower even though he came from outside? Does everyone else live in like the bottom floor of the tower?
dandon223

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:30 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
dandon223 wrote:

I haven't read the manwha, so I'm assuming all my confusion is coming from the rushed anime. I'm still not clear on what's the deal with where they live though. I thought part of Rachael's deal (as Bam believes it to be anyways) was that she wanted to see stars. So if irregulars aren't living in the tower, then why can't they see stars? Is there like no outside? Or is Rachael not an irregular, and I guess somehow she found Bam inside the tower even though he came from outside? Does everyone else live in like the bottom floor of the tower?

It was touched upon briefly in anime but ,yeah, manhwa went into more detail at this point in time.
The tower has floors. There is inner tower , outer tower and middle tower. Ordinary people who did not get invitation from Headon are living in outer tower. No matter which floor. They are various cultures on different floors. You can have kingdoms ,empires , you can have no man lands and so on.You can not change floor if you are not regular. When somebody get invitation from Headon no matter at which floor outer tower he lived he has to go to the second floor inner tower for the first tests.
There is outside , that is from where Irregulars come. From the outside world. Bam, Rachel , Urek. and others who were cut off from anime.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Rachel is an Irregular. At the beginning of the first episode both of them are outside of the Tower. But, other than being underground, we don't know *where* they were outside of the Tower. Also, so far Rachel is not generally known to be an Irregular. Though some people may have figured it out due to her relationship with Bam.
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:10 am Reply with quote
I do remember them kind of talking about it, but not in a way that made it clear to me at all what they were trying to say. I feel like it's similar to how they said the one tester was going to be on the one team during tag, when really his function was that he was acting more as an enemy to both teams. The way they explain things in this show is just confusing, and not just to me, since no one I've been watching with could explain either. Anyways, thanks for explaining, because the show makes a whole lot more sense now.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:34 pm Reply with quote
If Rachel is an irregular, the show is keeping it fairly secret despite the clue that she and Baam came from "the same place" (if that really was outside the tower). Whereas Baam has shown his shinzu power, she hasn't. Also, I thought irregulars were super-powered shinzu users, but she is supposedly a Lightbearer. Maybe one can be both?
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I thought Rachel was chosen to enter the tower, as she glowed and disappeared, while Bam directly entered the tower. She wanted to enter the tower, but it didn't seem like she forced herself in like Bam did.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:22 am Reply with quote
Apparently, Rachel forced her way into the Tower shortly before Bam did. There have been very few known Irregulars in the history of the Tower. It is generally *believed* that all Irregulars are really powerful. Comparatively speaking, Bam is *far* weaker than most of them (note Yuri's initial reaction to him). Also, consider Endorsi's initial reaction to Rachel, which I thought was strange (her response to why she teamed up with Rachel at the beginning).

So far as I know, Headon doesn't select people from outside of the Tower. Anyone who comes from outside of the Tower enters without his aid. Regulars are *always* chosen by Headon from within the Tower, and then teleported to the 2nd floor to be tested and given their initial training.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I can understand the politics and what not making little sense from the outside.

At the same time, i find myself invested in the characters and action a lot and i feel the politics and what not will come as the show goes on
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the Fluffy Guy: he is a government assassin sent to do two things.

1) retake Black March and Green April. Neither Anaak nor Endorsi were granted them by Jahad.
2) kill Anaak. Actual Princesses of Jahad (which she is not) are not allowed to have offspring. This is to prevent the blood of Jahad, which they have received, from spreading beyond those who have been given it. Anaak's Mom did that and was killed for it.

Exactly what Yu Han, the test director, is up to remains to be seen.
dandon223

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Why so low rating on ep 11? It is one of the better episodes even with all the scenes skipped.
I think for now it is not so hard to understand what is going on , but maybe it is because I have read the source material.
Basically everyone is betraying everyone yet again.
What I like about the ToG is that characters lie , they can even have wrong informations about something. It is fun piecing it all together.

What I am sad about with 11 episode are skipped scene , in particular the talk between Bam and Hansung. There is callback to this scene in season 2 and I do not know how it will be adapted if at all. Plus it wold give more characterization to Bam.
Or even the scene where Bam trains with Endorsii.
Second thing is that they do not show us what the characters are thinking. It would have helped to understand everything better.
And last thing is that yet again the characters did not change the outfits. I wanted to see Endorsii with that red dress animated. Sad
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Holy Tower of God were there story developments this week! Not sure why Ms. Orsini found it hard to follow as everything was explained in enough detail to be understandable but there was a lot going on. I tried reading ahead in the webtoon to about where this episode ended and I for one appreciate the pacing of the anime versus the tedium of the other's setup details. Too bad Anaak is so easily distracted as I thought the Enforcer was obvious in his interference and finally Endrosi's over-confidence traps her. Really excited for next week.

Relative to the missing exchange between Baam and Yu was the clue that gets me thinking, if the test administrators and/or "rankers" have all been to the top of the tower where "there exists everything in the world (and more?) and it all can be theirs" per the intro of Ep1, why are these guys messing around doing petty evil on Floor2? My working theory at present is that there is a reveal coming that everything in the tower is an illusory copy of "real things" and there is nothing to be had because "it is what you make it". That would at least explain the Incredible Shrinking/Expanding Rak beyond "because shinzu"...Not spoiler-tagged because it is pure speculation at present.
Stacycmc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:17 am Reply with quote
I just want to note, that I think people need to calm down when they don't understand things yet - maybe you're not supposed to. People also complained in episode one that they didn't understand - why was Bam there and why and what was he doing? But, Bam didn't know that either, so why would we assume the we as the reader / viewer should know at that point, before he does even?

Perhaps things will be revealed to the viewer, when they are revealed to certain characters. I mean otherwise things would be pretty boring if you new everything in advance, right?

Obviously things are moving at a faster pace than the webtoon, but that's to be expected and is the case with many anime. I would suggest just sitting back and letting season 1 finish and enough should be revealed and clarified at that point so that you are either interested in continuing this or you are not. I would highly recommend staying with it however, as this season is one that just keeps getting better and better the deeper you get.

Very pleased with the first season so far, but of course wish it had more episodes, as with any series 12 seems to be over way too soon. Maybe season 1 was just a test to see how well this would do and we'll get more with season 2 though, as I'm just going to go ahead and assume that's definitely happening! Very Happy
WingTree#908239

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

Relative to the missing exchange between Baam and Yu was the clue that gets me thinking, if the test administrators and/or "rankers" have all been to the top of the tower where "there exists everything in the world (and more?) and it all can be theirs" per the intro of Ep1, why are these guys messing around doing petty evil on Floor2? My working theory at present is that there is a reveal coming that everything in the tower is an illusory copy of "real things" and there is nothing to be had because "it is what you make it". That would at least explain the Incredible Shrinking/Expanding Rak beyond "because shinzu"...Not spoiler-tagged because it is pure speculation at present.

In this story, a lot of things that have been said have more of a symbolism/metaphor than the literal meaning.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Ep 12 is basically the Red Wedding episode all the manwha readers have been waiting for heh, good job if you got this far without being spoiled.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8