• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Internal Affairs Ministry: Anime Comprises 80% of Broadcast Exports

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:09 am Reply with quote
This is very interesting indeed. I had no idea that anime represented such a massive percentage of Japan's media exports. Obviously Anime is popular worldwide but I wouldn't have thought it was such a large %.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:25 am Reply with quote
Not surprising. Basically nothing else gets legally released with subtitles. Movies take 6+ months and even there it's not common, only big releases. Anime it's basically almost everything from every season. Also there's simply more anime.
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:31 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Not surprising. Basically nothing else gets legally released with subtitles. Movies take 6+ months and even there it's not common, only big releases. Anime it's basically almost everything from every season. Also there's simply more anime.

It more has to do with the fact that Anime needs that money in order to function. With the live action side of things they're content with the money they make domestically or we would be seeing a lot more Japanese shows on Netflix.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:30 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

There's plenty of J Dramas out there, and there was a push a few years ago to bring them over her via streaming, but it never really took off like anime did. I don't know if new J Dramas are still being subbed or not on those streaming services, or if it's all just backlogged stuff these days.

Tokusatsu is in eternal limbo. Sentai is regulated to 20+ year old series via Shout Factory while all the modern stuff is off limits. And if people have a stigma against old anime they're really going to be turned off by 90s live-action special effects. Kamen Rider is just flat out not even being released and everyone is pretending it doesn't exist despite being far more successful than sentai. And yet for some reason they really, really, REALLY want Ultraman to be a thing in the west and give it special treatment all the time Laughing Everything else? May as well not exist along side Kamen Rider. Which is a shame is toku probably has the highest chance to appeal to western anime fans. Stuff like LuPat, KyuRanger, Gaim, Drive, and Ex-Aid I could totally see hitting it off with the shounen fans.

chronium wrote:
It more has to do with the fact that Anime needs that money in order to function. With the live action side of things they're content with the money they make domestically or we would be seeing a lot more Japanese shows on Netflix.

Outside the specifically Netflix commissioned series most anime still ride on domestic success to succeed. If a series doesn't do well in Japan it's not getting more episodes.
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:49 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

chronium wrote:

Outside the specifically Netflix commissioned series most anime still ride on domestic success to succeed. If a series doesn't do well in Japan it's not getting more episodes.

And without internationally licensing the anime industry would have collapsed years ago.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:54 am Reply with quote
Speaking on non-anime exports… hey, Japan, any time you’re ready to offer us a legal way to watch Kohaku on New Years, our credit cards are ready.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Does this report show any credence towards the idea that DVD/BR sales no longer serves as the primary indicator for future season greenlighting? From what I know, and I am happy to be proven wrong, in the past, a large, although not all, portion of decision-making is predicated on the viability of revenue generation through looking at sales of DVD/BR in Japan. If streaming revenue is a lot more significant than DVD/BR sales, companies are going to look this way for money than physical copy sales. Without looking at the physical copy sales, how can we appropriately assess popularity to determine season two viability in the future? Is there any data on overseas license and viewership from individual companies?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:25 am Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Quote:
Without looking at the physical copy sales, how can we appropriately assess popularity to determine season two viability in the future?

Wait for an official announcement?? Looking at sales data only gives you a SWACK* at best. All you are doing is speculating based on inadequate information.

*Scientific Wild Assed Guess
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:27 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
xxmsxx wrote:
Quote:
Without looking at the physical copy sales, how can we appropriately assess popularity to determine season two viability in the future?

Wait for an official announcement?? Looking at sales data only gives you a SWACK* at best. All you are doing is speculating based on inadequate information.

*Scientific Wild Assed Guess

You have missed my point.
EugeneW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:36 pm Reply with quote
TV Japan carries Kohaku live and time-delayed for North America. dLibrary Japan is slowly but steadily building its Jdrama catalog, though like TV Japan, few of the titles are subtitled (the handful of Taiga dramas are). It'd be nice if TV Japan could migrate more of its licensed content to dLibrary Japan and NHK World and even nicer if TV Japan offered a streaming option not tied to a cable or satellite provider.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Does this report show any credence towards the idea that DVD/BR sales no longer serves as the primary indicator for future season greenlighting? From what I know, and I am happy to be proven wrong, in the past, a large, although not all, portion of decision-making is predicated on the viability of revenue generation through looking at sales of DVD/BR in Japan. If streaming revenue is a lot more significant than DVD/BR sales, companies are going to look this way for money than physical copy sales. Without looking at the physical copy sales, how can we appropriately assess popularity to determine season two viability in the future? Is there any data on overseas license and viewership from individual companies?

Season two viability isn't accurate to tell even with successful series though. Plenty of shows have sold well but never came out with more episodes, either because the creator ended the story or because of behind the scene production issues. But in general I feel like it's generally easy to tell when a series is popular even before the disks comes out. It was easy to see Kimetsu no Yaiba as the huge hit it was before we saw any preorder numbers for it popped up. The amount of merchandise and works it came out with was a good indicator of it's popularity, and shows rely on merchandise and other avenues for financial success just as much as television ratings, streaming numbers and disk sales, perhaps even more so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1