• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kakushigoto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:42 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Hey, between this and Monthly Nozaki-kun, does it seems that mangakas like to make fun of worse-than-useless editors that just get in the way? I wonder if there is some industry-wide conflict at work here .

The editor in the second half of Shirobako belongs to this group as well.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Hime's teacher gets major points for leaping in at the end with the "Adultslandia" story.

But heavens, Kakushi must have been mortified for being late to pick Hime up.

And damn, spoiler[the framing story is getting bleak.]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:47 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:

And damn, spoiler[the framing story is getting bleak.]

There are certain aspects about both sets of boxes that I find utterly terrifying. To sum up my first response to the first set of boxes... "He didn't know about them?!"

It gets... worse... for the second set. Especially with the introduction of the grandfather.... which helps explain the first set...and two houses...

And THEN there's the dates and the certain feeling of "knowing" about them... long time... alone.... then there's imagining what happened...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm glad Hime had fun making an entire pile of Big Macs, but I'm a little disturbed by the fact that she was compensated with kiddie scrip. And do fake child doctors earn more than fake child fast food employees?

If she's a fake employee, she should be paid in fake money, right? Plus it looked like only she and her father got to eat everything she made, so she was paid for that in kind, which is considered a real wage (in part at least - that probably wouldn't fly if that's the only way a real employee got paid).

Man, I really love how they render everyone's eyes in this. I want to freeze every shot and just sit and drink that in all day. Like those in Ghost Hound, they remind me a lot of the eyespots on moths' wings (or a mothspot x cat hybrid?), enhanced by Kumeta's delicate lines. I liked the eyes in Zetsubou Sensei too, but here the colors are more vivid, and the shading more subtly graded (not sure Sensei's eyes even had gradations). They kinda creep me out, in the best way. Very Happy
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I think we learned something this episode that explained something of a mystery in the previous episode.

Looking at the portrait of Hime's mother and the dog (which we now know was painted by Hime's grandfather), the assistants remark at how it is in a traditional brush style.

In the last episode there was a scene where Kakushi (wallowing in self-pity at the low regard in which manga artists are held) was confronted with a large poster for an art exhibit by a famous contemporary painter in the traditional style. That scene had a point about art and the reputation of artists, but it seemed like there must be more meaning to it. After this episode, I now expect that poster was for a gallery exhibit by Hime's grandfather.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Finally, I just want to take a quick moment to talk about my favorite part of this episode: Kakushi's long ribbed adidas jacket (please see Diagram 1 below). Where did he get this? How did he manage to upgrade his drip this much, this quickly? I don't know, but at least now I'll be a little less surprised when people keep crushing on this grungy manga artist.

The show skipped a manga chapter that shows why he got that. The weather got too cold for his usual T-shirt/short pants combo, so he wanted an overcoat he could wear over that without looking like a pervert. He picked that long sports jacket at Mario's store because it makes him look like a futsal player taking a break on the bench.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The spectre of death often looms over the show's quieter moments, so it's not surprising that the opening scene has Kakushi instantaneously turn on his eye faucets as Hime begins reciting the ten dog commandments. Life is transient, so we have to make the most of it.

It wasn't because of the... that wasn't the reason. This show is slowly painting picture one miserable brush stroke at a time. Why does Kakushi hate his father in law? Rather, why does he hate Hime's grandfather?

"Oh, it's so meant to be that the fourth generation of Dog is with the third generation of Human." Really, it is? It's not creepy or manipulative? It's not controlling?
kazunya

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:58 pm Reply with quote
As someone who watches this show on a German streaming platform, it's very interesting to read how the team at Funimation handled the "Gotou Roku" joke. The German translation kinda failed me on that one. Confused

When Hime holds the papers up and says it's about her dog, the German sub adds a "Goto,ro..." that isn't there in the original. This is then followed up by the clerk asking "So its name is supposed to be Gotou Roku?". I guess they were trying to make it seem that Hime stuttered and the clerk mistook that as the supposed name? Or maybe I'm missing something very obvious here.

Either way, as someone who went to language school to become a translator (though I ended up deciding that it's not quite for me), I fully understand how difficult it can be to convey something that cannot be translated literally from one language into another. And while I'm not the biggest fan of those, I'd prefer having translator's notes explaining the joke over.... Well, whatever the German subs did there.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
By the way if you haven't listened to the full ED yet, please do! The encroaching summer weather gets me in the mood for city pop, and this is a classic song from a classic album by Eiichi Ohtaki.

This is one of my favorite songs this season. I really love it—just wish it were available for download on iTunes. Since they released an album for the anime (with both OP and ED songs, presumably) on the 27th, hopefully iTunes will get it soon. Fingers crossed.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Did I miss something, or did they just forget about Nadila being at the karaoke place?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
^ Yeah, she sure got the short end of the stick this week. Sad She was promised a party and didn't get to go to one at either location really.

The line about him being a "secret time-traveler" seemed more poignant than it should have been just for the joke. It made me immediately think of the boxes, as well as the framing story for some reason. Guess we'll see if that bears any fruit farther down the line. With only 3 more episodes (I think?) I wonder if we're going to get any resolution to that story anyway.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
he epilogue also confirms that Kakushi hasn't been publishing manga for a while in the timeskip, although his assistant cryptically (I feel like I'm using that word a lot to describe this frame story) calls the headline a lie.

I'm not sure it's a "lie" so much as "untrue." The book was about mangaka that have disappeared without a trace. As in, no one knows what happened to them or where they are. I think that the assistant is taken aback by it just means that he knows perfectly well what happened to him and/or where he is. But it seems clear that the public at large doesn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The story is predicated on a deliberate divide between Kakushi's work life and home life, which he does to protect his own reputation. More generally, however, there's always some kind of division between an artist's private and public lives.

My theory from this week's end bit is that he was one of those lost at sea and later saved, and in the process he got outed in the press. This not only impacted the reception of his work as a comedy writer, but he also could no longer protect Hime if he didn't exit the spotlight asap. But I don't know why he doesn't seem to be still around Hime, unless he disappeared again to further protect her privacy. It's just hard to imagine him leaving her in the care of his father-in-law, but without him around, that would seem to be the only choice.

Guess we'll find out next week? (Still not sure if there are 11 or 12 episodes. Next episode title suggests 11, but they could mean the end of the in-story manga.)
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh? I took it to mean that it was his wife that was lost at sea and the information about that tragedy and his connection to it got out. With this sadness surrounding his image, he felt he could no longer make people laugh and quit.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I assumed she died of anime disease, since she put the boxes together. If she were lost at sea in an accident, she would've had to be psychic to have foreseen her death to make such arrangements.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3