• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Keizai: Anime Industry Insiders Share Reservations About Netflix Streaming Model

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:25 pm Reply with quote
JUST SAY "F U!" TO NETFLIX ALREADY!!! Such a s* company with their s* idea of releasing all the season together MONTHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS later ¬¬
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote
TichoSlicer wrote:
JUST SAY "F U!" TO NETFLIX ALREADY!!! Such a s* company with their s* idea of releasing all the season together MONTHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS later ¬¬
The joke is — it's not Netflix itself, but Netflix issue in the West only. Most of the anime licensed by Netflix in Japan actually comes as usual with one episode per week, except some rare cases (the last was Great Pretender, which comes with a couple of episodes per week as part of its schedule).
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:49 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
TichoSlicer wrote:
The joke is — it's not Netflix itself, but Netflix issue in the West only. Most of the anime licensed by Netflix in Japan actually comes as usual with one episode per week, except some rare cases (the last was Great Pretender, which comes with a couple of episodes per week as part of its schedule).

Well, yeah, of course, that much most be on the contract already right, it wouldn't make sense otherwise... It just shows how little japan cares about the West audience... ;/
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, knowing that there are no royalties and the production companies can't even get viewer metrics of their work for bartering future productions makes it so much easier to not worry about not subscribing to all these various streaming services.
Changeman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:59 pm Reply with quote
The situation is always more complex than it seems. A lot of people said that streaming would solve all the problems, but it seems that it is not so. Kimetsu no Yaba's case is interesting.

It is rare that we have a counterpoint in this regard.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:21 pm Reply with quote
TichoSlicer wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2017-07-07/.118491
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I wish Netflix just never got involved with anime beyond putting other companies shows on the platform. I don’t like their binge watching nonsense and prefer simulcasts, and I hate that most of their shows don’t get physical releases. I don’t think I’m ever getting Blu Rays for Violet Evergarden and/or Kakegurui. That makes me sad.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Baki was one of the top 10 most viewed shows on Netflix in the US over the weekend. Not anime, shows period. With the dub delayed. It’s clearly a worthy investment. I just wish they were more transparent, since the company has published reports saying the production committee system needs to be upended.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
The situation is always more complex than it seems. A lot of people said that streaming would solve all the problems, but it seems that it is not so. Kimetsu no Yaba's case is interesting.

It is rare that we have a counterpoint in this regard.

I feel like a lot of the people who said that about streaming did so purely to counter the push by people to devalue streaming. The people who said they buy merchandise, blu-rays, or manga to support the show rather than watching legal streams with ads. The elusive nature of streaming and digital numbers makes them a great talking point for arguments, since you can't technically ever be proven wrong when the actual numbers are never known and can twist whatever vague things we know about them to benefit whichever side of the argument you stand on.

Although Kimetsu no Yaiba is not on Amereican Netflix, so i presume they're talking about Japanese streaming numbers here rather than American, which means these comments have nothing to do with the argument people often have about streaming services in the west Laughing
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:01 pm Reply with quote
If Netflix doesn't have any say in international home video licensing after all, then that must mean Funimation, Sentai, and Viz (other than Castlevania, strangely) are simply uninterested in getting home video rights without streaming? Sentai seems to do it frequently with Amazon shows (which admittedly do eventually expire if Kabaneri can be explained) and they used to do it with Ajin and a couple other, and Funi used to do it with Seven Deadly Sins season 1, so why hasn't anything been licensed in NA from Netflix in over two years (other than Aniplex/Fate stuff)? Did Ajin and Seven Deadly Sins not perform well? Does Netflix charge a hefty sum to use the English dub? UK, German, and Australian companies seem to keep licensing Netflix anime, so I really don't know how to explain the situation if Netflix has no hand on the home video rights.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Baki was one of the top 10 most viewed shows on Netflix in the US over the weekend. Not anime, shows period. With the dub delayed. It’s clearly a worthy investment. I just wish they were more transparent, since the company has published reports saying the production committee system needs to be upended.

Problem with those list, is whats the context? did nothing else that was new launch with it? It is warmer weather all across the US+this weekend had the largest protests all over the country...so, was Netflix viewership just so low that something like this could be a top weekend show (similar to the Twitter Off Hours/Off News trending USA effect, random niche stuff can trend during the wee hours of the morning or on a very slow news day cause theres no other competition).

--

Have to agree with one of the anime insiders, if its on netflix, which I dont have, then I'm not watching it. Some shows I would invest in if they had disc releases (looking at your AMZN, you, youtube too, and you NFLX)

is 50 to 70 million yen alot? Having the value just there in the paragraph without context is hard for anyone to know if thats good or bad.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:10 pm Reply with quote
The only good thing about Netflix is that it makes me appreciate the anime sitting on my shelf now more than ever. Fortunately, Violet Evergarden is the only show that I really want to add from its library; most anime they stream don't appeal to me at all.

That's not true for some fans though; hopefully the anime community can band together somehow and free a few of the really popular shows.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

Problem with those list, is whats the context? did nothing else that was new launch with it? It is warmer weather all across the US+this weekend had the largest protests all over the country...so, was Netflix viewership just so low that something like this could be a top weekend show (similar to the Twitter Off Hours/Off News trending USA effect, random niche stuff can trend during the wee hours of the morning or on a very slow news day cause theres no other competition).

--

Have to agree with one of the anime insiders, if its on netflix, which I dont have, then I'm not watching it. Some shows I would invest in if they had disc releases (looking at your AMZN, you, youtube too, and you NFLX)

is 50 to 70 million yen alot? Having the value just there in the paragraph without context is hard for anyone to know if thats good or bad.

50-70 million yen is a lot, TV anime cost was 25-40 million per episode with 25-35 million being most common and only big properties getting 40 million.

Anime has always been low budget especially late night anime where it is aired like infomercials in the USA so instead of a TV channel paying for the rights to air the anime the anime production company pays the TV channel for a late night slot.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah my problem with the Netflix models means an anime airs instantly, and is usually forgotten right away instead of usual 13 weeks of build and discussion. No one's talking about that recent GitS, haven't in a while now, where we would at least would have had 12 weeks of laughing with a normal model. Zac, RIP, brought up how Stranger Things 3 had no lasting impact versus the Mandalorian, and he was right.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Another issue, according to the management of an advertising firm, is that Netflix does not reveal viewership numbers at all to their partners. This makes it difficult to negotiate for a higher payment for the next streaming deal. A leader at one of the companies that participated in a well-known anime program is quoted as saying: "At this rate, we might become a subcontracting company to Netflix."

This should be reason enough to not bother. Without those metrics, how do you really gauge if the product you made was worth making? How do you gauge if it's worth making a season 2 or similar shows? You need to know how well something did so you can know what direction to go on the next one. No royalties is just insane but I heard that before

7777ale7777 wrote:
TichoSlicer wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2017-07-07/.118491

I don't buy those responses. The fact that Netflix streams weekly in many other countries kills the argument on it's own but also that article claims Netflix needs to "drum up excitement" or whatever, but they've basically NEVER done that for anime. And there's also overall FAR more "excitement" with weekly shows. With Netflix shows, there's generally only a few weeks of excitement after a show/season comes out and then no one talks about it again until next season a year or so later. With weekly shows you get hype every week. Game of Thrones is one example - hype every week for 3 months. Netflix's experiment was interesting but it's time Netflix USA realizes most fans don't want to wait. I would bet my whole anime collection that their viewership on anime would go way up if they did weekly streams.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3