• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gleipnir

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:29 am Reply with quote
^ I am only a little ahead in the manga, and I think the anime is following it pretty closely so far, just toning down the nasty fanservice stuff some. ANN's page for the manga shows 6 volumes are done in Japan, - ( does anybody know if there are more out yet? )- so I don't think the anime is going to finish in one season, unless it is an anime-only ending. Which it doesn't feel like imho.
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:35 am Reply with quote
^^^
Echoing what they said, the anime has been adapting the manga at about 2/3 chapter per episode so if nothing changes it will reach a good stopping point for a first cour/season. As far as differences go nothing significant has been cut out while new stuff include:
- the first fight being longer
- invisible girl being a cashier and plant boy knowing shuichi
- shuichi's memories of cram school
- and the scene with his classmate at night
But all this new stuff doesn't contradict the source material and IMO just adds foreshadowing especially 2-4
yuzumei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:00 am Reply with quote
Sayaka's crew... What a bunch of lame characters. Telescope guy? Invisible girl? fox girl?

I know that their granted powers come form personal desires and issues and that's interesting but nothing else beyond that. Even Yuta turn out to be another guy with lame super strength. The only interesting characters are Elena, Clair and Shuichi and their symbiotic relationship. I wish all the characters were as interesting and creative.

So far the bad guys are a lot more interesting.
The action sequences are dull as well. Just punching and kicking. There is no creativity or strategies.
I hope the show gets better.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of the ending of the story, I think we're seeing the kind of tragedy where some people discover a, the world has nasty people in it, and b, we can be nasty too. Teenagers becoming stone-cold killers and living with that knowledge about themselves. So this is more than just another rip and tear fighting show, which I think I can get behind, if the show stays this good, even though I'm not a big fan of tragedy.

One note: we now know powers can create action at a distance, because Shuichi's pistol, spoiler[held in somebody else's hand, melted into nothing when he transformed back to normal before it could be fired.]

We sorta knew that from anyway from Shuichi's memory being very carefully altered. So I'm wondering why there haven't been any straight up psychics yet, besides the author not needing them in the story. Maybe they exist, and are non-violent so they just don't make a difference to the characters we see. Like a spouse who magically cooks, cleans and keeps house psychically so they can laze around eating chips and watching soaps all day. Smile I like thinking about the nice possibilities in things.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I feel like they just murdered a slightly less-moral version of the Straw Hat Pirates
CerberusTheWise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Telescope guy died for being a simp, don’t simp guys.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's because I marathoned the episodes, but it seems to me that one of the things going on here is that, due to them sharing each other's feelings while connected (chained) together in the suit, their personalities are rubbing off on each other. Claire is gaining some of Shuichi's traits, and Shuichi is gaining some of Claire's traits.

Remember what has been said: the person entering the suit is able to fill in the emptiness of the person -- to make up for what they lack. And what does Shuichi lack? What does Claire lack? Animal-girl said that Claire can't become one with Shuichi, which currently is true. However, if both are melding personality-wise, there will come a point where their desires will coincide, and then that mascot outfit will likely turn into something Very Scary.

Frankly, I don't feel much sympathy for what happened to Madoka's group. Those guys straight up murdered a woman, and were planning doing the same to at least one member of Sayaka's group. They couldn't be negotiated with, nor could they be defeated using conventional methods. Sayaka was being extremely naive, which seems to be a Thing for her, thinking that they could just saunter up and get a bunch of coins. As it turns out, they *lucked out* by running into Madoka's group, because if they'd actually made it to the ship, they all would've died, as happened to that other remnant of Madoka's group.

It's easy to claim righteousness, but you can't avoid getting your hands dirty in situations like these. The rest of the group needs to understand that or try to get the Alien to revoke their powers.
Marakutanay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
as happened to that other remnant of Madoka's group.

Pretty sure that was just a random group, nothing to do with Madoka.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
As it turns out, they *lucked out* by running into Madoka's group, because if they'd actually made it to the ship, they all would've died, as happened to that other remnant of Madoka's group.

Yes and no. It's not a spoiler at this point to point out that the guy at the ship has an established relationship with Shuichi, so that encounter would possibly have evolved differently.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Marakutanay, they looked like some of the shadowy sparkly guys I saw in Modaka's group. Maybe that image is just supposed to represent generic Gatherers?

dm, that's possible. Elena certainly treated Shuichi differently than a regular mook, so maybe that guy wouldn't kill off Shuichi right away. The rest of the group might not have received the same restraint.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin, there's also the matter of Shuichi-before-mass-murder and Shuichi-after-mass-murder might react differently, too.
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:29 pm Reply with quote
"We didn't know that most of these people existed before last week."

Well, in the manga they did show little bits of it for a couple of chapters... The director that decided to put everything on 1 epi... ;/

And man, idk WTF they will do on this last epi... There are, what?, 10+ chapters to adapt? I'm kinda scared...
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quote
The scene in which spoiler[Clair finds the "Shuichi" furry doll in the old Cram School building] literally sent chills down my spine. That was such a well done moment, especially the look on her face afterwards...
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:00 pm Reply with quote
TichoSlicer wrote:
"
And man, idk WTF they will do on this last epi... There are, what?, 10+ chapters to adapt? I'm kinda scared...

My thinking is that they are planning on a second season, so some of that might wind up in there.

Of course, nobody knows when a second season could start, but the whole industry is like that now.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:20 am Reply with quote
Kaita, you know what they say about “assumptions “? They make an “ass out of u & me!” Except, in your case, they make you a stone cold murderer! Ugh, way to mess with my suspension of disbelief in a show with mass murdering furries. Kaita didn’t even *ask* her what happened to Aiko. He barely tried asking anyone about what might’ve gone down. He’s seriously the worst character in this show so far, and that’s saying something.

Re: the mass killing of Madoka’s group: it was kind of self defense. It’s not like “normal means” would have killed them in monster form, and they didn’t have any grenades handy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4