• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shaman King Manga Gets Brand-New TV Anime Next April

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-arts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:15 pm Reply with quote
The manga and anime diverted around episode 26 or chapter 76 of manga so there will be lot of new content as manga is 300 chapters long.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:21 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Calling it: Funimation simuldub next year

Also Kodansha rescue the manga please

Or do something crazy like having NYAV Post dub it so they can reunite most of the 4Kids dub cast. Surprised
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I loved Shaman King back when the original anime came out. I still have the few uncut DVDs 4Kids released of it but I never got to read the manga. I've always wanted to see a full reboot happen and I recently started rewatching the original so it was an exciting surprise to hear this news tonight. I hope this can get it an airing on Toonami as I always felt like Shaman King was the kind of series that should have been up there with the bigger name shonen manga titles like DBZ and Naruto but it always seemed like it was more niche in the US. I hope this can also lead to a rescue license of the manga.

Quote:
I bet this is that project studio Orange said was working on last week
animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2020-06-02/orange-ceo-eiji-inomoto-studio-works-on-cg-remake-of-familiar-title/.160166
Orange said that it would be a CGI remake and I can't imagine Shaman King will be a CGI show.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:26 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Also Kodansha rescue the manga please

I would be 100% ok with Funi grabbing it.

This was very unexpected news, but I'm here for it. Always did like Shaman King when I was a kid.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:28 pm Reply with quote
super hyped. I don't think it's Orange...this doesn't really scream CGI
Skyletv

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:38 pm Reply with quote
WTF A remake and they will adapt everything?! I never watched it but I've always been interested so this is perfect!
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:46 pm Reply with quote
el_morris wrote:

Considering how long it takes for Orange to produce a single 12-episode show, I doubt they'd be able to take on a huge undertaking like adapting the entirety of Shaman King. I'd bet on Mappa.
Lenks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Given the state of the world, they're gonna have to do something with Chocolove. Rightfully, at least. I remember not liking his design when I first read the manga over a decade ago. There's no way his design or name will pass anymore.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:04 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Or do something crazy like having NYAV Post dub it so they can reunite most of the 4Kids dub cast. Surprised

With it being a reboot, it can go either way.

With that said, I do wonder if Sean Schemmel's interested in reprising.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:27 am Reply with quote
I can't believe my favorite manga is getting a FMA:Brotherhood. What a ridiculous year this is.

Lenks wrote:
Given the state of the world, they're gonna have to do something with Chocolove. Rightfully, at least. I remember not liking his design when I first read the manga over a decade ago. There's no way his design or name will pass anymore.

Yeah, over here Viz changed his name and edited his lips. His backstory was an "oof", too, being a Black youth in NY leading a gang years before the main story.
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:34 am Reply with quote
Personally I liked the ending for Hao in the first anime. His ending in the manga was kinda anticlimactic and made him look weak. Which is ashame because the rest of the manga is very good.

As for this new anime,I hope either Bones or MAPPA produces it.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:44 am Reply with quote
I wish it'll be Bones' production. They've been killing it with shounen titles (not to mention their sakuga collaborators).

But better not having any expectation, I guess.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:46 am Reply with quote
First Higurashi, then Bleach, and now Shamen king, this is the year of old series getting revived or remade
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:46 am Reply with quote
Shaman King is one of those Anime/Manga that I wanted to be remade since the Manga already ended a decade ago and happy to see that the new series will follow closely to the original Manga.

I'm hoping that Viz Media (who licenses the Manga until the license expired) or Crunchyroll will license this series especially the former as other than Boruto and the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series Viz Media hasn't licensed any new Anime series lately and licensing Shaman King would be a huge win for Viz Media which is very reminiscent to when they license Hunter x Hunter (2011) back in 2015.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:56 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this for so long, it's finally happening! Shaman King was part of my childhood. Hopefully this will get Kodansha to re-release the series in an omnibus format since I only own the first third of the series. Ah, I'm so excited for this! Please leave the production in the hands of a capable and consistent studio, that's all I ask.

It's times like these that strengthen my optimistic stance on anime remakes: Never say never, you never know what will happen in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5