• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shaman King Manga Gets Brand-New TV Anime Next April

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:57 am Reply with quote
Chocolove is a weird case. I think you could keep the backstory if you lost the design and tweaked the name; it comes across as a legitimate attempt to depict a serious subject, but when the main character involved is like 60% stereotype, it makes the whole thing seem like a stereotype.

BaronViolet wrote:
Personally I liked the ending for Hao in the first anime. His ending in the manga was kinda anticlimactic and made him look weak. Which is ashame because the rest of the manga is very good.

I'm not sure how it makes him look weak, when spoiler[a big part of the ending's setup is that he's literally too strong to actually beat in a figh]t. I thought the way they did it was quite clever.

I've actually heard it theorized that the manga's original cancellation had to do with Takei's desire to do such an atypical ending (it wasn't exactly ranking high, but there have been plenty of low-ranking manga that were allowed to see a final arc through), though, and I kinda prefer the first super-ambiguous manga ending.

Last edited by Krotchstak on Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:03 am; edited 2 times in total
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:00 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Or do something crazy like having NYAV Post dub it so they can reunite most of the 4Kids dub cast. Surprised

Other than Tara Sands who might voice a different character depending on who will license this series and where it gets dubbed I'm not expecting any of the actors from the 4Kids dub to reprise their old roles, especially Sebastian Arcelus as Yoh Asakura giving that he stopped doing voice over and became an on-camera actor.

If it does get dubbed in LA, I'm hoping they use Studiopolis over Bang Zoom!

NJ_ wrote:

With it being a reboot, it can go either way.

With that said, I do wonder if Sean Schemmel's interested in reprising.

Other than the Dragon Ball franchise and Pop Team Epic, Sean Schemmel hasn't done any anime work lately and seems to prefer working in Pre-lay animation.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:42 am Reply with quote
It might be a stretch to hope for Sebastian Arcelus (Yoh) or Andrew Rannells (Ren) returning for the dub, but I could see Tara Sands (Anna) and Sean Schemmel (Ryu) coming back, depending on which studio gets it. Oliver Wyman (Manta/Morty) is unlikely, but not totally impossible. It looks like Tara’s already shown her enthusiasm for this on Twitter, and seems hopeful that the entire cast could return.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:47 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It might be a stretch to hope for Sebastian Arcelus (Yoh) or Andrew Rannells (Ren) returning for the dub, but I could see Tara Sands (Anna) and Sean Schemmel (Ryu) coming back, depending on which studio gets it. Oliver Wyman (Manta/Morty) is unlikely, but not totally impossible.

If it's Crunchyroll and they go with Bang Zoom, I don't think Sean will considering he may have burned bridges over the Berserk 2016 recasts.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:51 am Reply with quote
Eh, if the enthusiasm’s there, I don’t see why they can’t put that aside. It’s not like Sean’s done any work for them in the past anyway.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:16 am Reply with quote
I read the whole thing and gonna be honest:

I like it, but I am gonna be the first to say that it's no for everyone, one may say it's kinda bad sometimes, there is a reason it got canned and ended in a cliffhanger originally.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:49 am Reply with quote
Wonderful news!! Give me Mu or give me death!

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Also Kodansha rescue the manga please

At least the final ones Viz Media didn’t take care of. This is nostalgic for me since I also bought the whole series published here in North America in my final trip to Borders back in 2011 at a real premium. Would love to finish the series.
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:58 am Reply with quote
I would not be so excited if they have read the after true story in the manga, if you thought that in dragon ball they abused of revive characters, it is that they did not read shaman king, spoiler[a point came that the characters committed suicide to improve themselves.]
AkaRed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:28 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
First Higurashi, then Bleach, and now Shamen king, this is the year of old series getting revived or remade

I only need Bastard!! And my life will be done ♥

Anneyuno1 wrote:
I would not be so excited if they have read the after true story in the manga, if you thought that in dragon ball they abused of revive characters, it is that they did not read shaman king, spoiler[a point came that the characters committed suicide to improve themselves.]

That's savage lmao.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:44 am Reply with quote
Anneyuno1 wrote:

Quite admittedly, that is one of the many aspects I didn't like about the series after recently reading through the manga out of nostalgia from the anime.
Canopus310

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:44 am Reply with quote
I'm ready for the nostalgic trip Very Happy
Mocha Shiori

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:47 am Reply with quote
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:12 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It might be a stretch to hope for Sebastian Arcelus (Yoh) or Andrew Rannells (Ren) returning for the dub, but I could see Tara Sands (Anna) and Sean Schemmel (Ryu) coming back, depending on which studio gets it. Oliver Wyman (Manta/Morty) is unlikely, but not totally impossible. It looks like Tara’s already shown her enthusiasm for this on Twitter, and seems hopeful that the entire cast could return.

I wouldn't count on Andrew Rannels and Sebastian Arcelus returning as their respective characters if you ask me given that they stopped working in Anime for 18 years and now doing On-Camera acting instead, especially the latter.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

If it's Crunchyroll and they go with Bang Zoom, I don't think Sean will considering he may have burned bridges over the Berserk 2016 recasts.

Not to mention Sean hasn't done any Anime dubbing Projects for Bang Zoom!, along with the fact he hasn't shown up in ANY anime projects in Los Angeles other than his guest spot roles in Naruto Shippuden for Studiopolis in 2014.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:20 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Also Kodansha rescue the manga please

At least the final ones Viz Media didn’t take care of. This is nostalgic for me since I also bought the whole series published here in North America in my final trip to Borders back in 2011 at a real premium. Would love to finish the series.

No, I want the full thing. Limiting to just the final volumes would be stupid because it's been OOP for years now and costs a kidney.

Hopefully the suits at Kodansha USA will listen and not ignore us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5