• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shaman King Manga Gets Brand-New TV Anime Next April

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:41 pm Reply with quote
This is amazing, I remember watching Shaman King when it aired in Fox Kids Lain-America when I was in elementary school and I managed to watch all episodes, the dub was very well done and it wasn't censored unlike the U.S. 4Kids version.
It took me a while to discover that the anime had a different ending compared to the manga, I hope this is like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, I mean I like the original show but I want a version closer to the original manga.
I noticed that they played Oversoul in the trailer so maybe Megumi Hayashibara can reprise her role as Anna, I hope they can bring back the original Japanese cast, as well as in other languages like english and spanish if the series gets licensed.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they used Oversoul in the teaser. I remember there was rumors of a reboot for Shaman King for years but Takei refuses because he wanted the old music and staff to come back which was a hard sell at the time. Hopefully we get a new version of Oversoul as the first opening.

I also hope it's much more faithful to the manga, or at least not as toned down in terms of violence and content like the first anime was. spoiler[Faust losing he legs] and his character in general kind of relies on the gruesomeness aspect. I also wouldn't mind some of the spin off mangas being incorporated where appropriate as a nice little nod. Once this comes out, all that's left for my bucket list of anime remakes is Gash Bell and Soul Eater getting complete manga adaptions.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I remember how much I loved watching this anime when it was airing on the 4Kids block. Glad to see it getting the Brotherhood treatment it deserves it!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I can understand wanting to bring back the original voice cast but the author's insistence on the original score is a bit weird to me when just about every other anime reboot uses a new soundtrack.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
Not to mention Sean hasn't done any Anime dubbing Projects for Bang Zoom!, along with the fact he hasn't shown up in ANY anime projects in Los Angeles other than his guest spot roles in Naruto Shippuden for Studiopolis in 2014.

Quote:
I wouldn't count on Andrew Rannels and Sebastian Arcelus returning as their respective characters if you ask me given that they stopped working in Anime for 18 years and now doing On-Camera acting instead, especially the latter.

Special cases do happen though, especially when the studios go out of their way to reunite old casts.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:26 am Reply with quote
Yomigaere! This came out of nowhere. Takei must have approved it since he declined the first time due to wanting the cast (close friends with) and music back. I hope they play the original OP songs as the OPs since those songs are already fire.

All I need now is a Rave anime remake now. With that said...

Let there be light! Revive a soul!
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:10 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I can understand wanting to bring back the original voice cast but the author's insistence on the original score is a bit weird to me when just about every other anime reboot uses a new soundtrack.

Often to their detriment - both FMA Brotherhood and Hellsing Ultimate were worse off for not using the original BGM, I think.

Shaman King's original OST is pretty good, too - it's got a couple really standout tracks, like Ren's theme and the X-LAWS theme. Personally, I'm hoping that the Osorezan Revoir arc uses the eponymous track, since Hayashibara is involved and she did a Takei-endorsed recording.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:

Often to their detriment - both FMA Brotherhood and Hellsing Ultimate were worse off for not using the original BGM, I think.
The original anime adaptations had very different tones than their reboots so their soundtracks really wouldn't have fit the reboot and FMAB and Hellsing Ultimate had perfectly good OSTs in their own right. More recently while I have a lot of nostalgia for the original Fruits Basket's theme song, the reboot has a much stronger soundtrack overall. Though even with Shaman King since they're adapting stuff the original anime didn't cover, they're likely going to have come up with some original music when they get to the new stuff.
kpossibles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping the manga will get a nice perfect edition release by Kodansha Comics in English, but I know they will disappoint us if they give us a Comixology digital-only release like they did for various other series.

Personally, I'm guessing the anime might get licensed in English by Funimation or Sentai Filmworks because they have a close relationship with Kodansha Comics via Kodansha's twitter watch-along promotions.
peno

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:04 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I hope they can bring back the original Japanese cast, as well as in other languages like english and spanish if the series gets licensed.

Oh man, I really, really, really hope they will not bring back the original Czech cast, if we will ever get a Czech dub of this new anime (which I doubt, but you never know). The Czech dub was a mess. Cast choices were terrible, voice acting was missing and, believe it or not, they even changed some names that even 4Kids did not have guts to change (Joe Asakura, to name just the worst). Yeah, I definitely don't want to hear this monstrosity again. I really do hope, if we even get a dub of this new Shaman King anime, they will do much better and more competent take on it.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:37 am Reply with quote
kpossibles wrote:
I'm hoping the manga will get a nice perfect edition release by Kodansha Comics in English, but I know they will disappoint us if they give us a Comixology digital-only release like they did for various other series.

Only if it's uncensored. Viz censored the heck outta Shaman King back in the day.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:08 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
Not to mention Sean hasn't done any Anime dubbing Projects for Bang Zoom!, along with the fact he hasn't shown up in ANY anime projects in Los Angeles other than his guest spot roles in Naruto Shippuden for Studiopolis in 2014.

Quote:
I wouldn't count on Andrew Rannels and Sebastian Arcelus returning as their respective characters if you ask me given that they stopped working in Anime for 18 years and now doing On-Camera acting instead, especially the latter.

Special cases do happen though, especially when the studios go out of their way to reunite old casts.

Regardless, that didn't happen with Marc Diraison and Carrie Keranen when they weren't being asked to reprise their old roles for the CG Berserk series despite the fact they reside in Los Angeles, the ADV Cast of NGE not being asked to reprise their old roles for the Netflix dub of NGE or even when Brendan Hunter who voiced Hisoka in the dub for the 1999 Hunter x Hunter series not being asked to reprise their role in the English dub of the 2011 series with Keith Silverstein voicing him instead.

I'm grateful Laura Bailey was able to reprise her roles as Maka Albarn and Tohru Honda for Soul Eater Not! and the Fruits Basket 2019 remake, but that's because they were her favorite characters she voiced, especially Tohru and also she was not busy. Plus the same thing happened when Joshua Seth and some of the actors from the original English dub of Digimon (e.g. Colleen O'Shaughnessey, Philece Sampler, Mona Marshall, Jeff Nimoy) for Digimon Tri.

Look, I'm going to be blunt and upfront with you, at the end of the day depending on whoever is going to license the new Shaman King series (e.g. Funimation, Crunchyroll) and which state/studio is going to record the show they might use a new voice cast at the behest of the licensor, mangacka or producers and I'm pretty sure the new series might use a new voice cast instead of the ones from the original anime series. It happened before with the Viz redub of Sailor Moon, it happened with the English dub of the 2011 Hunter x Hunter series and the Netflix redub of NGE.

Lastly as I said, Andrew Rannels and especially Sebastian Arcelus haven't done any anime dubbing work for YEARS so more than likely they're not coming back to reprise their old roles.

Last edited by DisneyXAnimefan95 on Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:22 am Reply with quote
While I understand the 4Kids Shaman King dub was nostalgic for a lot of fans, honestly some of their voices are kind of miscast that wouldn't fly in modern times, like Ren having a pseudo British accent in spite of him being Chinese and Sean Schemmel using a fake Spanish accent for Ryu. The OG cast did the best with the material they were given to work with by 4Kids' localization changes, but a new dub for a show that's trying to be a faithful representation of the author's vision should be able to cast the roles they think fit the characters' best and not be obligated by fandom nostalgia for the original dub.
anime4evr1167

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:06 pm Reply with quote
A little late to the party but I am so excited!!!

After all these years of dreaming for a manga accurate remake, the dream has finally come true!! I can't wait to see everything animated, especially HoroHoro's parts Very Happy

I loved the original anime for what it was but once the manga had been read, one couldn't help but cry over what was left out, now here we are!

I really hope that the dubbing company will be able to pull a small cast reunion and bring back a few of the old dub cast that would still sound great in their rolls today. I'd absolutely love to hear Anna, HoroHoro and Faust's VAs all reprise their rolls Anime smallmouth

Hearing Yoh's VA return would be amazing too. I know it is probably a long shot and no one really knows what will happen when the time comes but he had a really unique voice that I really enjoyed listening to and it would be lovely to be able hear him again with a better script lol.

I mean one can only dream that they may be able to pull a Digimon Tri like cast reunion and only time will tell Anime smallmouth
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
anime4evr1167 wrote:
A little late to the party but I am so excited!!!

After all these years of dreaming for a manga accurate remake, the dream has finally come true!! I can't wait to see everything animated, especially HoroHoro's parts Very Happy

I loved the original anime for what it was but once the manga had been read, one couldn't help but cry over what was left out, now here we are!

I really hope that the dubbing company will be able to pull a small cast reunion and bring back a few of the old dub cast that would still sound great in their rolls today. I'd absolutely love to hear Anna, HoroHoro and Faust's VAs all reprise their rolls Anime smallmouth

Hearing Yoh's VA return would be amazing too. I
know it is probably a long shot and no one really knows what will happen when the time comes but he had a really unique voice that I really enjoyed listening to and it would be lovely to be able hear him again with a better script lol.

I mean one can only dream that they may be able to pull a Digimon Tri like cast reunion and only time will tell Anime smallmouth

I wouldn't count on most of the original cast from the anime returning especially Sebastian Arcelus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5