• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kakushigoto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, I assumed this season is not going to answer the important question and that will be based for a possible future season; but I am not reading the manga so I have no idea if it is in i's final lap or if it continues after answering said question.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing the Kakushi mystery will largely be answered and the last episode will be about the climatic final arc, without any but the set-up being set in the 11-year old Hime past. I haven't read the manga but I've researched it a little and learned the structure of the anime is different than the manga. There are no flash-forwards, everything we see as a flashforward is in the final concluding arc. They could do it because the series IS ended, or ending. The anime had the advantage of adapting a complete story.

I do think there might be the possibility of a second season though. The flash forwards have all been about Kakushi, but unless the finale also tells the whole story of his wife, they could possibly do a season in which the flash-forwards are about what happened to her. It looks like, from summaries, they do explain what happened

I looked up scans of the series but only found 4 volumes available (out of 11) but the interesting thing is that even in just those 4 volumes (which I only skimmed) there were a LOT of stories they didn't tell. There's much more they could adapt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:14 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, the finale skipped straight ahead to the conclusion to the flashforward arc, covering material from the manga's second-to-last chapter and probably spoiling the last one, which will only be published a few weeks from now. I would have preferred a second season, but this was a hell of an ending to my favorite show of the season.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
I haven't read the manga but I've researched it a little and learned the structure of the anime is different than the manga. There are no flash-forwards, everything we see as a flashforward is in the final concluding arc.

Actually, all of the flashforward material shown in the first 11 episodes is from the manga's first half, but those segments were originally only present in the collected volumes and didn't run in Monthly Shonen Magazine until recently. Also, the second-to-last chapter still featured some present-day material to go along with the flashforwards.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh, my gosh. That was fantastic.

The blend of pathos and sweet triumph was magnificent.
Joa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kumeta actually seems kind of embarrassed about how long he ended up stringing the audience along, based on how quickly he reveals all the narrative cards he was hiding

This is actually different in the manga. The final episode adapted only the future storyline chapters from volume 6-12. In the manga this was all revealed gradually, just like in the previous episodes.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:24 pm Reply with quote
While I really loved this series, I just don’t understand the mother’s death. I mean, who anticipates getting lost at sea? Why would she put together all those boxes before an ordinary trip? It only makes sense if she were dying or, I dunno, maybe going to a research station in Antarctica for several years. Did I miss a bit of information?
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Looks like my theory was correct Smile

I guess because the manga was ending (and they anticipated not getting a second season) they decided to finish the story? The whole thing felt a bit rushed and the beginning with the secret love child confusion and explanation didn't play well for me.
I'd guess it likely flowed better in the manga with proper pacing, but it didn't work well here and felt completely unnecessary. We already knew that Kakushi kept Hime from his wife's family, so the key could have just been sent by her grandfather et al. Why add other family extensions to complicate things which don't add much?

Regardless, I am glad we got a complete story and thought the ending was good over all and the series was very enjoyable.

As for the boxes, I'm guessing Hime's mother just did that when she was young out of excitement for her daughter's future (or something along those lines). I suppose she may also have had a terminal illness, but perhaps she just thought it'd be fun to open up these time capsules with her daughter each year?

Quote:
One issue I do rankle with is the valuation of blood relations, which is broached briefly when Hime's cousin reassures her that Kakushi is her “real” dad, to her vocalized relief. As a staunch appreciator of found families—especially those in some of my favorite anime series—I can't help but critique this small but nonetheless misguided focus on the “legitimacy” of their bond.

I think that's a perfectly normal and expected reaction though for a child with a good family relationship. I'm sure if she wasn't it would have been followed up with the typical "but he's still my dad regardless" or something like that, but what child wouldn't be relieved if they suspected otherwise?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
As for the boxes, I'm guessing Hime's mother just did that when she was young out of excitement for her daughter's future (or something along those lines).

Yeah, I'm used to always being wrong, so that's ok. Smile But I still feel like we were misled there, with the framing of them sitting across the table in sorrowful anticipation and such. If I ever get around to watching it again (and I would like to sometime), I'll probably see it differently.

I enjoyed the whole thing immensely, though the amnesia trip was kinda odd, as was the love child bit. Not deal breaking in any way, but almost eye-rolling. Almost.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I made a lot of comments in the anime thread lower in the forum but I just realized I forgot one thing.

I can understand the estrangement from his wife's father and keeping Hime away from him but why did he keep his half-sister away from her? They don't completely explain, but it's very possible they lived separately as children, him with his mother, her withe the Kabuki actor father and supposedly his wife. But the fact that he trusts her with the care of Hime if he can no longer do so means they have a relationship.

You'd think they could keep his work a secret.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I made a lot of comments in the anime thread lower in the forum but I just realized I forgot one thing.

I can understand the estrangement from his wife's father and keeping Hime away from him but why did he keep his half-sister away from her? They don't completely explain, but it's very possible they lived separately as children, him with his mother, her withe the Kabuki actor father and supposedly his wife. But the fact that he trusts her with the care of Hime if he can no longer do so means they have a relationship.

You'd think they could keep his work a secret.

I think the reason behind keeping his side of the family out of the picture was to
minimize the likelihood that he's a mangaka from being revealed, particularly due to the fact that he hails from a family of artists.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Because people just don't visit the Series discussion thread below- or only visit it- I'm going to repost what I said below here, although I was kinda responding to others there.

(I wish the episode discussions were moved to the Series discussion section once the season is over- or even were made an exception and put directly in that section instead of the News Talkback section. Maybe merged with those that were already made. There's so much good discussion but being in the overloaded Talkback section means they get lost and necro-posting is so frowned on here too)

--------------------------------

The boxes could easily be something she made for Hime when she was pregnant. Simply imaging her life and getting them ready while she had nothing else to do. Odd though that Kakushi would be ignorant and surprised by them when he found them. Did his wife never tell him what she was doing? When they moved from the old house and as they were clearly labeled, did the movers just put them in Hime's closet and he never saw them until she mentioned them when she was ten?
But what about Kakushi's later boxes? He was comatose for just a year, why didn't he bring the boxes to her after she turned 13? The apartment was small but he could bring out a new one each year as a birthday present.

The old house? Yeah, he could have moved the stuff to a regular storage facility and sold the old house presumably. If he only needed the money from the sale of one house. But he is an extremely sentimental guy, I guess he didn't want to get rid of it, and he was using it as an insurance policy- "If anything happens to me, sell the house and contents to provide for her" (aprox from memory). But then.... he'd still have the new house and the stored contents in cheap storage, he wouldn't have lost much.

The "brother?"... that was confusing... for a second I thought they said Kakushi himself was the love child of the artist and he married his half sister? Yay, Hime, you're your own cousin? I had to go back to get that straight- yeah, cousins, not "sister." But yeah, I've seen plenty of anime where cousins or just barely related people call each other Onii-san or Onee-san. Translators should have just left that "onee-san". Hime would still be confused by the double meaning but anime watchers know very well that it can be a term for an actual sister or someone your same age that you have a close relationship with.

BTW, the Japanese wiki says Hime's mother was never given a name.

The amnesia being trite? Well yes, wasn't it Tomurin that made that very comment?
"How cliche can you get? Amnesia?! That wouldn't even work in manga!"
Yeah, they used it for drama, but it was also an intentionally stupid thing written by a comedy writer.

---------------
oh... Just looked at Kōji Kumeta's English wiki page and now I think I get the jokes about the barely there assistant who went on to higher success. It lists Kenjiro Hata as one of his former assistants, he created Hayate the Combat Butler. Or maybe it's not about that assistant in the series but is the reason Kakushi was not too happy that his new assistant was so good- because he already knows that a talented assistant will leave him for their own success.

Slightly odd that I don't remember any appearances of Maeda-kun in this. He was the bald-guy who shows up throughout Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Another very long-term assistant and collaborator. I thought that running joke would have been brought back.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Hime's father was in a coma for a year and she did not have a job...How is she going to survive?
I forgot this was a happy show.
No problemo! Rich grandpa paid the bills!!
bennyl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the manga gives more insight, but the mom being missing at sea just seems overly convoluted. I get that for the story to wrap up there has to be a reason Goto loses his fortune, but looking for a wife lost at sea who prepared yearly care packages before she died is a plot hole too big to ignore. Also, I don't recall anything in the flash forwards indicating there was some question about Hime's parentage. Just that there was a big secret. That said, thank God Goto wasn't dead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3