• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Twelve Kingdoms

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I always thought sex in Twelve Kingdoms happened more or less on the same lines as human sex. It just wasn't the method of reproduction but still a source of pleasure and intimacy.

That was my thought too.

spoiler[The children growing from trees is a bit of a weird bit of worldbuilding, but I really like it. It serves to highlight how a lot of gender roles in our world come from the desire to control sex and reproduction, rather than inherent differences.]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:42 pm Reply with quote
@all-tsun-and-no-dere

It also serves as a plot device to explain how people from that world spoiler[(including Youko) could get to Japan.]
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:30 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I always thought sex in Twelve Kingdoms happened more or less on the same lines as human sex. It just wasn't the method of reproduction but still a source of pleasure and intimacy.

Me too, but if someone wants to read sennin in particular as kinda asexual I don't think the text fights back very hard, from memory.
metalpail

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I love this show???
I can't believe out of all the classic review content this show is head and shoulders above the rest. I've already binged to episode 13. Oops.

It's great that Nicholas hasn't seen it either so he's confused about all the lore too!
Looking forward to the reviews every week!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's a lot, and much of it is explained or implied on the margins of the story, so again I apologize if I got something wrong there. Or maybe my speculation is totally off and everyone out there is laughing at me, in which case you're welcome.

Saying how much you're right about here or not would spoil things, so I'll only say that you are picking up on most of the important clues, Nicholas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xe4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Best rat boy is the hook that got me into the show, tbh.
I was kind of middling on it until Rakushun showed up, and I was all in.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Xe4 wrote:

Oh, I think a lot of long-term fans of the series would agree with you on this. The strongest part of the first arc begins with him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zefram

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Xe4 wrote:

Oh, I think a lot of long-term fans of the series would agree with you on this. The strongest part of the first arc begins with him.

As a long-term fan of this series, I agree. Rakushin is master detoxifies. You get a character who is selfish, self-pitying and toxic and once Rakushin chats with them, they change their outlook completely, recognizing their own faults and learning to be good. Rakushin is such nice, unthreatening and disarming character that others just can't help themselves and change to be better since they want to be his friend.
poltroon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Really great to see a classic come back for reviews. It's really easy to have overlooked a good show that is a bit older, and even the reminder to rewatch is welcome.

Twelve Kingdoms definitely gets better as the story develops and Youko is able to connect to true allies and find her place in the world, which finally allows her to grow. Rakushun is certainly the first and best of them.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The world building in this series is phenomenal-on the same order as Dune and that makes it a fantastic series. The first time I watched this I did a marathon watch and when I re-watched it a few months ago I saw things that I missed the 1st time. I'm amazed that more people don't know about this.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:21 am Reply with quote
I hate to be that guy (well, gal, I guess), but maybe take a quick second look at this week’s review? There are several instances of a word missing, etc. The worst of the bunch is:
Quote:
I think meeting these scraggly catboy is sharp wakeup call to Yuka

I know I’m not the only one to have mentioned that ANN could really use a proofreader on staff.

But, yeah, what was that about the demon being the scabbard? So, was the scabbard testing her or something? Does this mean she finally passed? Can’t wait to see what happens in En.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:06 pm Reply with quote
You will learn more about the sword and scabbard before long. It's workings are not arbitrary and will have important implications to the story and to Yuuko in particular.
Zefram

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:14 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

Me too, but if someone wants to read sennin in particular as kinda asexual I don't think the text fights back very hard, from memory.

That's not right. In the 3rd arc of the anime, one of major characters serves a sennin who is very nasty to her. I don't remember if its explained in the anime, but the book strongly implies that previous king, who was deposed in favor of his wife BTW, made her sennin because she was his lover. In the books its explained that other than Kings and Kirin, to become a sennin, another sennin (such as King) has to write their name in the book of "wizards". Another character, a deposed princess, has major grievance about being struck down from that book, because it made her mortal and now she ages.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
You will learn more about the sword and scabbard before long. It's workings are not arbitrary and will have important implications to the story and to Yuuko in particular.

In fact, I would go as far as saying that maybe the the best single line of dialog in the whole series concerns this. (Though we have a long way to go yet to get to that.)
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

In fact, I would go as far as saying that maybe the the best single line of dialog in the whole series concerns this. (Though we have a long way to go yet to get to that.)

I agree. But I was trying to avoid spoilers. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7