• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Listeners

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tommy may have thought he was turning Mu into his own personal Jesus

Which just reminds me - I'm really enjoying the show (right from the start I was so surprised and delighted to get a reference to one of my favorite bands, Einstürzende Neubauten!), but I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't get a Depeche Mode reference, especially considering everything going on. After Einstürzende Neubauten I'd been low-key hoping to see a glimpse of Joy Division or The Cure or The Sisters of Mercy or something (I mean, back-in-the-day Andrew Eldritch and Robert Smith were such anime figures already), but Depeche Mode really should have been there, in my completely objective and not-at-all biased opinion.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I too thought Listeners was the acutal name of the Earless, and it was better that way.
Listeners doesn't make for a compelling or even not-boring final boss for Listeners.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Listeners really needed to be 25 to 50 episodes long and it probably would have been much better or at least had an ending that felt more earned and less vapid.
consignia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Listeners is the Be Here Now of anime.

Oof. D’You Know What I Mean? was the first single I ever bought. It's not great, but it has a real special place in my heart. So the subsequent mediocrity of Be Here Now hits hard. [i](What's the Story) Morning Glory?[/] is still ace though.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Listeners is the Be Here Now of anime.

Now this is a pretty good way to sum up how disappointing this show was. I guess it really needed a better, more experienced director to make JIN's and Dai Sato's ideas form a compelling, emotionally satisfying narrative. Also, I wish they got other artists to perform the songs, because I find Rie Takahashi's singing voice rather dull.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I also didn't get why the 3 sisters (cdn.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/fit400x400/cms/news.3/156027/15_16_17_.jpg)

turned into talking stone tablets .....
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:
I also didn't get why the 3 sisters (cdn.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/fit400x400/cms/news.3/156027/15_16_17_.jpg)

Pure dadaism. Maybe.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:38 am Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:

The band they're a reference of has an album titled "Tabula Rasa" which means "clean slate", and marked a new beginning of sorts for the band's sound, so. (It's a pretty great album, by the way, if you're into weird, unsettling and somewhat unhinged late '80s/early '90s German industrial post-punk, although this album in particular is more easily digestable than their earlier ones.)

Anyway, I thought the show did decently, telling its story and wrapping it up. It wasn't the most amazing thing ever, but not everything needs to be that. Listeners was never really about its "story" as such, anyway - it started out as a fun romp using pop music to tell the viewers some thoughts on music as such, creators, producers and consumers thereof, and worked best whenever it returned to that. But since it's anime that aspect got wrapped in a typical anime "yay springtime of youth!" narrative, further wrapped in an even more typical anime story about "STAKES HIGHER THAN ANYTHING, ALSO MECHS" thing, which inevitably concluded with the anime version of the skybeam + faceless-army-of-aliens combo of superhero movies. The finale was more or less a mess, with the sole drive of "eh, we gotta wrap this up somehow, bring the box of tropes and stock dialogue", but the road there was fun.

I still wish we had gotten a Depeche Mode reference, though. Sad
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I think overall I wish I hadn't wasted my time on this (and I'm not sure why I did). The finale was unsatisfying in almost every respect, and so stuffed with incredibly trite philosophy trying to sound intellectual that I just tuned out. I think the take-away was "all you need is love" to change the world, but they could've gotten that across in just one or two of the dozen times they referenced it directly and skipped all the rest, as well as all the indirect references to it.

And after all that, I don't think I could explain why or how anything happened in this. I'm not sure many explanations were given, but if they were, they just didn't stick at all. I don't know why humans became Earless or how Earless became humanoid again. But that's fine. I won't remember even wondering about it once I hit "Submit." That's just how deep an impression this has left on me. Laughing
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:27 pm Reply with quote
^^It seems you don't understand the allegory being made to the societal advent of Rock and Roll music. The Players understood it's genius but it polarized Listeners into haters (Earless because they don't like it, so they must not have ears) and lovers like Echo and everyone else. However, as time went on, the haters changed and started lo like it along with the next generation (70's) so they turned into fans too (pictured in the article thumbnail image). And if you buy any of that BS, maybe I'm smarter than I think (wouldn't bet on it). Glad I didn't waste my time, sorry you wasted yours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3