• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inuyasha Anime Spinoff Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon Airs on Saturdays This Fall

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
So either October 3rd or 10th. Gonna guess 3rd. Need the cast list!
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:12 pm Reply with quote
it's weird how much animosity and mockery Inuyasha had gained over the last decades only for it to all be cast aside for good faith in this spinoff.
Grenzer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:24 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
it's weird how much animosity and mockery Inuyasha had gained over the last decades only for it to all be cast aside for good faith in this spinoff.

Time heals all wounds? People just want something familiar during this time of great cultural upheaval, and this show is benefiting from that urge. I remain on the fence on whether this is going to be a quality product. Maybe a fresh group of writers can teach this old dog new tricks.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Really depends on your circles. InuYasha (the franchise) was largely very widely loved. There was mockery, but like many things it wasn't from the majority opinion. 7.85 on MAL from 498,229 users is not bad at all
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:03 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Really depends on your circles. InuYasha (the franchise) was largely very widely loved. There was mockery, but like many things it wasn't from the majority opinion. 7.85 on MAL from 498,229 users is not bad at all

That may be true, but I still am scratching my head at this. I guess for me I simply wonder if there is truly enough actual desire by fans for this. Or is it just a case of nostalgia creeping up and then 2-3 episodes in people can get tired and the nostalgia starts fading.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
It was popular enough that it ran for over a hundred episodes and several movies and adapted the entire manga but there's always backlash when an anime becomes too popular like with other shonen manga that hit it big like Naruto and even DBZ used to have a lot of backlash about it being overrated for years.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:37 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It was popular enough that it ran for over a hundred episodes and several movies and adapted the entire manga but there's always backlash when an anime becomes too popular like with other shonen manga that hit it big like Naruto and even DBZ used to have a lot of backlash about it being overrated for years.

As someone who definitely finds aforesaid series godawful on the whole and only watched Inuyasha in the past year, it is definitely the better written show. You could DBZ Kai/Brotherhood it to trim the filler and fat and it would hold up fairly well, especially with how prevalent romance is becoming in modern shounen.

Whether that translates into a spinoff seemingly absent romance and definitely absent source material remains to be seen.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:54 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

That may be true, but I still am scratching my head at this. I guess for me I simply wonder if there is truly enough actual desire by fans for this. Or is it just a case of nostalgia creeping up and then 2-3 episodes in people can get tired and the nostalgia starts fading.

While nostalgia is certainly part of why this is getting made, I think a lot of people have forgotten just how BIG Inuyasha was during its run. The manga is one of the biggest, most reliable hits Shonen Sunday ever had, and the anime was hugely popular on both sides of the pacific. It got a disparaged reputation in the aftermath because mid-2000s internet forums are what they are, but there is absolutely still an audience excited about more Inuyasha anime.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:48 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

It got a disparaged reputation in the aftermath because mid-2000s internet forums are what they are.

Let's not blame the internet for the shows shortcomings. It was far from a masterpiece and suffered greately from many of the same pitfalls other shounen did. All the internet did was shine a light on all of those arguably for the best as it's lead to a rethinking of what a shounen can be. No longer are people (except one piece fans) in for the never ending adventure that has a specific destination.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:

Let's not blame the internet for the shows shortcomings. It was far from a masterpiece and suffered greately from many of the same pitfalls other shounen did. All the internet did was shine a light on all of those arguably for the best as it's lead to a rethinking of what a shounen can be. No longer are people (except one piece fans) in for the never ending adventure that has a specific destination.
I feel like the majority of the fandom drama was around the hatred of Kikyo and people complaining they used Nakuru too much.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:39 pm Reply with quote
That might have been some of it, but it was also that it constantly treaded water but went nowhere. Additionally, it fell into the constant shounen pratfalls of making characters but forgetting their uses (Shippo/Sango/Miroku) all exist and yet seemingly forget they can do things or have to be forceably removed because they have a deus ex machina that could render the plot over if actually used.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:18 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

It's arguably still her most popular series these days, especially in Japan. For instance, managed to top NHK's Rumiko Takahashi popularity poll last year.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:02 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:

That might have been some of it, but it was also that it constantly treaded water but went nowhere. Additionally, it fell into the constant shounen pratfalls of making characters but forgetting their uses (Shippo/Sango/Miroku) all exist and yet seemingly forget they can do things or have to be forceably removed because they have a deus ex machina that could render the plot over if actually used.
Sure but isn't that an issue with most shonen manga? There's already some backlash to Demon Slayer's popularity and people just don't let it go whenever someone on Twitter says it's their favorite anime.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I'd argue its far less prevelant in modern shounen than it used to be and it's largely due to people pointing it out in shows like InuYasha and others from that period of time.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:03 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

While nostalgia is certainly part of why this is getting made, I think a lot of people have forgotten just how BIG Inuyasha was during its run. The manga is one of the biggest, most reliable hits Shonen Sunday ever had, and the anime was hugely popular on both sides of the pacific.

That is true, I won't deny it. I suppose I feel like in most cases, even with a popular show, once a show has been gone for a certain period of time it's hard to recapture that "oomph" it had before. There are always exceptions of course, I just think in most cases time is simply not kind. I would also think a new spin off with more prominent characters might do better. But hey, for the more dedicated Inu Yasha fans (I was just a casual fan admittedly) I hope this turns out to be great.

doubleO7 wrote:

It's arguably still her most popular series these days, especially in Japan. For instance, managed to top NHK's Rumiko Takahashi popularity poll last year.

I don't remember seeing that poll previously. I stand corrected at it's longevity. I also admit I was always a Ranma fan more in terms of her works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2