• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tower of God

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I seem to hear Stan Lee saying "next time, the SHOCKING conclusion".... If ever there was a twist from left field...
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:04 pm Reply with quote
A couple of things that might not be very clear: Ren was the Wave Controller position instructor. However, he had already killed and replaced the actual instructor prior to arriving at the training site. Endorsi was not, originally, one of his targets. It was her actions that made her one (not that it was hard to do).

Hansung appears to be playing a political game balancing Ren with Yuri's arrival. He is keeping his hands clean while letting Yuri move more or less freely in a place she doesn't belong. Also, Yuri avoided directly killing the royal assassin by having one of her companions do it.
scowler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't think the penultimate episode of Tower of God would have me clamoring for Crunchyroll to redesign their website but here we are.

How many people still watch Crunchyroll in a web browser? I've been using Roku or PS4 for many years now...
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:19 pm Reply with quote
scowler wrote:
Quote:
I didn't think the penultimate episode of Tower of God would have me clamoring for Crunchyroll to redesign their website but here we are.

How many people still watch Crunchyroll in a web browser? I've been using Roku or PS4 for many years now...

Sir....you will be very surprised. Heck, just looked at the comment section when unpaid user desperately hunting for friend pass code.

And I am with the reviewer here too, I got spoiled before all this madness happen, and I can only imagine the girl must be continuing taking advantages from Bam, just by judging how much the fan base hates her.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
scowler wrote:
Quote:

Sir....you will be very surprised. Heck, just looked at the comment section when unpaid user desperately hunting for friend pass code.

And I am with the reviewer here too, I got spoiled before all this madness happen, and I can only imagine the girl must be continuing taking advantages from Bam, just by judging how much the fan base hates her.

Yeah.... The
Quote:
Now that it turns out that all Rachel did to deserve this vitriol was one extremely-telegraphed yeet,

only made me think, from a webtoon reader's perspective, "if only..."
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, at this point, I might as well asking, which webtoon chapter will the anime end, ie. which chapter should I pick up right after anime ends?
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Frankly, at this point, I might as well asking, which webtoon chapter will the anime end, ie. which chapter should I pick up right after anime ends?

Pick it up from the first chapter of Season 2. The Season 1/Season 2 break is the biggest break in the entire sires by quite a fair amount--Season 2 will start by following a new POV character and a new cast of main characters, and it's actually quite some time before we see people from the Season 1 cast show up.[/spoiler]
dandon223

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:42 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

Frankly I think from the 1 chapter as they yet again changed things in this episode.
2 or 3 chapter for example is dedicated to Yuri traveling to 1 floor giving her much needed characterisation which anime cut out completly. It is only few hours read but I think it is worth it.
In the manhwa we get to read what a characters are thinking which was not implemented in anime at all. This gives more information about Baam and what type of a person he really is.
He also has few fire lines for example :spoiler[ If Rachel isn't up there, that place is nothing more than a pile of garbage. No matter what's up there, that won't change. You told me that being like I am is strange, but to me, you're a person who can't even find a single thing that's precious within that huge pile of garbage. ]
Yes, in the manhwa Baam can say more than "I am sorry". He has personalisty even if it is minimal but in anime they cut even that out. They made him look so 1 dimensional.
And it is the same with Khun and Rak. They cut out dialogues that gave them more personality. They made Rak as a comedy character when in manhwa he is so much more. We even got to see why he calls everyone turtles, and no it is not for comedy effect.
And I will not even start with Annak and her cringe worthy "we will climb the tower together" which was not present in the source material.

They even changed the Bull fight from this episode. Where is the shinsu reverse flow techinque? Where are 2 bangs? He just shoots water. Wtf. In the manhwa this fight even had some strategy in it.
Thaumana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:28 pm Reply with quote
844391 wrote:

Ep 12 is basically the Red Wedding episode all the manwha readers have been waiting for heh, good job if you got this far without being spoiled

I dunno... I mean it was kinda quite a surprise but it also made me wonder if that was really the big built-up reveal that led the fandom to the current hatred. Her body language, the presented thoughts and expression throughout the series implies nothing that would make me become wary of her up until the end of episode 12.
Even in consideration of the current events I still have the feeling that she didn't do it to cause harm towards Bam but rather to protect him from the possible tribulations of the climbing trial. Whatever may be the reason, from what it looks like, there seem to be more complex motivations behind this act than just simple hostile feelings and I have my problems to consider her a hateable character.

meruru wrote:
Also what the stakes were was completely unclear. First they say that if one team passes, then Bam will fail, making it seem like it's passing or failing on a team basis, then later they mention so and so is guaranteed to pass, so I guess there's actually individual scores after all, but then why will Bam be guaranteed to lose if his team fails? Whatever points or whatever people receive is never explained.

That was also my impression. It was hard to follow the ploys and actions with all the side stories going on but I just simply blamed me for this lack of understanding since I assume that it was covered in the episode where the rankers explained the stuff regarding the classes and team objections.
The whole arc of the new exam part was also kinda confusing since it was a bit unclear which events are actually conducted by the examiners in accordance with their rules and which ones were the unexpected factors.
We still received a lot of answers regarding some unclear occurrences in the past like the perpetrator behind Hoh's manipulation, so it's not like I am entirely at loss during the progress and still have the certainty that I get the explanation regarding some remaining mysteries and relationships soon enough.
dandon223

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the preview for last episode and I am astonished how much they managed to cut in terms of dialogue in those 50 seconds. And they have only 4 chapters left.
I am disapointed to say the least. I was waiting for Rachel spoiler[ being so happy that she managed to go to the tower and asking Headon if he is a fairy.]. Sad
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
"She's Just Not That Into You, Bam" not once has she said this... She doesn't so he keeps chasing her, she's vile af
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
"She's Just Not That Into You, Bam" not once has she said this... She doesn't so he keeps chasing her, she's vile af

Call me psychic but if somebody constantly tries to avoid you, going so far as never leaving her room unless absolutely necessary to avoid talking to you, lying about her identity, and is constantly trying to get away from you...then maybe she doesn't want you to follow her.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Article wrote wrote:
turns out that all Rachel did to deserve this vitriol was one extremely-telegraphed yeet

Rachel doesn't bother me any one way or another, but I have a better understanding of where all the commentary goes out of control.

For what very little it's honestly worth and without getting into the nitty gritty details of everything...spoiler[Pushing Bam is the first of several incidents throughout the story. She develops into something of a hate sink character. Whether we'll see any of that adapted though is anyone's guess at this point.].
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:15 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Xiximaro wrote:

Call me psychic but if somebody constantly tries to avoid you, going so far as never leaving her room unless absolutely necessary to avoid talking to you, lying about her identity, and is constantly trying to get away from you...then maybe she doesn't want you to follow her.

Yes... The problem here is that she knows Bam and that he will always chase unless he is told the contrary directly. She trying to avoid him and posing as someone else isntead of talking to him is even worse.
cchigu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:48 pm Reply with quote
This anime cured my sleep deprivation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8