• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Studio 4°C Production Employee Gets Repaid 2.8 Million Yen in Unpaid Overtime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:05 am Reply with quote
that's nice but he is screwed now. I don't think it's exclusive to Japanese companies, but big wigs in corporations hold grudges over things like this.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:04 am Reply with quote
To a certain extent, yes it's hard to see 4C paying what was claimed mid-trial as anything other than an admission that they were in the wrong. However, I don't think it will have the overall effect that the union wants. Like the article said, no judgment was rendered so there wasn't a legal finding of whether 4C was liable or not. Avoiding that outcome is why they went ahead and paid it and made the trial moot. If something similar comes up again, other companies will point out that there was no liability found and the employee will have to fight for it.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:51 am Reply with quote
Good. Though too bad about to the lack of judgement

Greed1914 wrote:
If something similar comes up again, other companies will point out that there was no liability found and the employee will have to fight for it.
cookiemanstah wrote:
that's nice but he is screwed now. I don't think it's exclusive to Japanese companies, but big wigs in corporations hold grudges over things like this.

That's why unions are so vital, they can leverage their collective power on behalf of a single employee.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Is it so hard for anime studios to just pay their employees?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1