• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sunrise States It Has 'No Connection' to Tokyo Governor Candidate Cosplaying Lelouch

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Gotō is a right-wing extremist if you have done any kind of research on him (I have read/watch various Japanese media piece regarding him and surprisingly none of them have regard him highly), and I have no idea why would he choose Lelouch out of anyone to represent his right extremist ideals.

On a different note, does this campaign count as propaganda (towards Otaku)?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Mr. Gotō is a right-wing extremist if you have done any kind of research on him (I have read/watch various Japanese media piece regarding him and surprisingly none of them have regard him highly), and I have no idea why would he choose Lelouch out of anyone to represent his right extremist ideals.

On a different note, does this campaign count as propaganda (towards Otaku)?
Often times they do the tiniest amount of research (read small bits of bio to see his power) and roll with that lol.

Idk about propaganda, but using the character in such a way is illegal in many countries
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Lelouch did liberate Japan from a foreign power. Though ironically isn't he also half or full European?
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Mr. Gotō is a right-wing extremist if you have done any kind of research on him (I have read/watch various Japanese media piece regarding him and surprisingly none of them have regard him highly), and I have no idea why would he choose Lelouch out of anyone to represent his right extremist ideals

It's always interesting when people find out Japan leans very heavy to the right.

[quote="MarshalBanana"]Lelouch did liberate Japan from a foreign power. Though ironically isn't he also half or full European?[]/quote]

Japan has been protesting American military occupation since WW2. It makes sense he'd use Lelouch.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
i was most shocked to find out the author of SnK was an ultranationalist
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:08 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

It's always interesting when people find out Japan leans very heavy to the right.

Japan is like every other country where there are both progressives and conservatives there though the current administration is conservative.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:10 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Lelouch did liberate Japan from a foreign power. Though ironically isn't he also half or full European?

Japan has been protesting American military occupation since WW2. It makes sense he'd use Lelouch.[/quote]
Okinawa protests against American military bases, and to some extent even Japanese rule. These are actually a platforms of the Japanese Communist Party and Ryukyuan nationalism.

Conservative thought in Japan is keeping the status quo of American military cooperation, but understanding it can't be forever, which has been supported by most American administrations since China fell to communism and the Korean Armistice Agreement. However, this requires amending Article 9 of the Japanese Constitution, which Abe has proposed throughout his eight years as Prime Minister to a mixed reception.
-SP-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:45 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Japan is like every other country where there are both progressives and conservatives there though the current administration is conservative.

Except Japan is still very Xenophobic. Out of first world countries, Japan and South Korea are the most Xenophobic and racist overall, where racist remarks are made casually on television.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1