• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sing "Yesterday" for Me

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidblueocean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:40 am Reply with quote
spoiler[ After their final breakup, trying to instantly rebound by taking advantage of two young children was a further terrible relationship move. Not only unbelievable, but possibly illegal]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Such as it is that ‘The Long Way’ referenced in this finale's title represents the roundabout way they go to being true friends. It's an immensely satisfying answer to the early show's eye-rolling “Can men and women be friends?” question. Of course they can, that's often for the best, and realizing that is one more step in growing up.

Yes, they can be true friends, but the problem is it is only a matter of time before that becomes meaningless. Real intimate relationships will almost always trump opposite sex friendships. Going the opposite sex friends route in High School is okay, but in the adult world it is the effective end of any type of relationship, unless they both intend to remain single for the rest of their lives. It doesn't mean they are not friends or don't care about each other, but just that they will go their separate ways
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:40 am Reply with quote
liquidblueocean wrote:
spoiler[ After their final breakup, trying to instantly rebound by taking advantage of two young children was a further terrible relationship move. Not only unbelievable, but possibly illegal]

Haru is eighteen and thus not a child. Rou might be seventeen.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:04 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
liquidblueocean wrote:

If they are indeed 17 and 18 in age, then the original poster calling them children is a bit deceitful.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:40 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
liquidblueocean wrote:

If they are indeed 17 and 18 in age, then the original poster calling them children is a bit deceitful.

They are being a bit decietful. I don't think the show explicity ever mentioned age but Haru is a drop out (of what we can only assume highschool) and Rou is studying to get into college which would put him at an age range of 16-18 assuming no setbacks.

You can heavily infer however that Haru is older because she's shown in highschool garb when Rikuo is trying to confess for the "last time" before she goes off to teaching and he loses his bus pass.

There's almost no doubt that they are both late year teenagers though and Rou and Shinakou are in their mid-late 20's to early 30's at best.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:13 pm Reply with quote
[quote="TexZero"]
TarsTarkas wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
liquidblueocean wrote:

There's almost no doubt that they are both late year teenagers though and Rou and Shinakou are in their mid-late 20's to early 30's at best.

You sound like you have a better grasp of the show's timeline than I do, but I was under the impression that Shinako and Rikuo have only been out of university for a year or two? Am I getting that wrong? If I'm right, then there's a good chance that neither are even 25 yet.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Haru states explicitly that she is eighteen at one point as I recall. She could be lying, but I didn't get that impression at the time.

I think Rikuo and Shinako are 23-24.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
You sound like you have a better grasp of the show's timeline than I do, but I was under the impression that Shinako and Rikuo have only been out of university for a year or two? Am I getting that wrong? If I'm right, then there's a good chance that neither are even 25 yet.

I might have some details wrong. This was mostly off memory and not going back and checking every detail. Shinako has to have been out of university for at least 2 years due to being Haru's teacher before she dropped out the prior year. Rikuo is a bit harder to pin down on a timeline due to his static nature and not really moving foward. That's kinda why i said mid to late 20's is probably closer to their age and early 30's would be the extreme side of it.

Personally whether its 100% accurate or not i always had the feeling that the cast age was like so
Haru 18
Rou 17
Shinako 25
Rikuo 24

That could be wrong, but that was just sorta what the anime presented and how i felt while watching it. I suppose if you want to look into more technical aspects like smoking and drinking ages for Japan you could narrow this down as Rikuo is shown to do both and Shinako has her first "drink" with fellow teachers while discussiing that she's never been "in love".
RoninX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:57 am Reply with quote
Just coming in to say after binging the whole series.... Haru is the best character in the show. She has the most soul and clearly best girl ever. Sucks that she’s surrounded and living in a world full of drab people. She deserved better
-SP-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
This should did a 180 and ended up giving us one of the worst endings I have ever seen. Wow what I way to ruin a good anime with that rushed ending.
DarkEXE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Shittiest ending since Aldnoah.Zero
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4