• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams Studio Ghibli Films in Canada

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:05 pm Reply with quote
why not just all of them at the same time
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:08 am Reply with quote
Too bad they can't just release these movies to Netflix worldwide...
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:53 am Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Too bad they can't just release these movies to Netflix worldwide...

Quote:
Netflix, in a partnership with Wild Bunch International, began streaming the 21 Studio Ghibli films worldwide except for the United States, Canada, and Japan in February, March, and April.

I thought all countries(except US and Japan) already have Studio Ghibli movies in Netflix. So you are saying not all countries have Studio Ghibli movies in Netflix?
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:04 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
why not just all of them at the same time

It's literally one film being delayed. Not that big of a deal.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:09 am Reply with quote
they stress so much over these movies and availability but I already own all Ghibli movies except Yamadas and Earthsea, which suck.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:05 am Reply with quote
I own virtually all the Ghibli movies but I'm glad they are going to get more exposure. Reallly should start my Ghibli rewatch one of these days...
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see that Netflix is adding Ghibli's movies to more territories. Now here in latin-america they gave Kiki, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle (the only one in which an actor from the original dub reprised his role) and Ponyo brand new dubs produced by Wild Bunch, but not all Ghibli films are available in neutral spanish, some others are only available in european spanish and Castle in the Sky's european spanish dub isn't the one that renames the floating castle to Lapuntu, which makes the movie an involuntary comedy when you hear them say Laputa outloud everytime.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I can deal with Ghibli on HBO Max because you can easily find these movies on video pretty cheaply. I’m just confused why Ghibli went with Netflix everywhere expect the US, especially with HBO Max having kind of lukewarm roll out and how invested Netflix is in anime in the US.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I can deal with Ghibli on HBO Max because you can easily find these movies on video pretty cheaply. I’m just confused why Ghibli went with Netflix everywhere expect the US, especially with HBO Max having kind of lukewarm roll out and how invested Netflix is in anime in the US.

HBO Max probably outbid Netflix in the US, whereas streaming services in other countries don't have deep enough pockets to do that.
wingweaver84

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Watched The Tale of Princess Kaguya yesterday. Beautiful visuals.
AZLeafCat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Netflix was able to license the Ghibli films from Wild Bunch International, which holds the international sales rights to Ghibli films outside of Japan and North America.

GKIDS holds the North American distribution rights, and decided to license the Ghibli films to HBO Max once Ghibli decided to allow digital distribution and subscription streaming of its films. I guess either Netflix lost the bidding war with HBO Max, or Netflix did not have the opportunity to negotiate for the USA subscription streaming rights.

However, GKIDS also licenses some of their films to Netflix (Mirai, Mary and the Witch's Flower, etc.) in North America, and HBO Max is not available in Canada, so it's natural that GKIDS would then license the Ghibli films to Netflix for the Canada streaming market.

Toho and Walt Disney Japan holds Japan distribution rights (the former theatrical, the latter home video), but it's unclear who has the digital/streaming rights in Japan. Ghibli's other partner Nippon TV (which broadcasts Ghibli films in Japan) does own Hulu Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1