• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Incomparable Otaku no Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:23 pm Reply with quote
First thing they play in conventions
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
This show was such a blast, TBH. I haven't seen it in a long time and had no idea it was even available on BD now. I must grab this
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching this OVA years ago, I enjoyed the first half focusing on Kubo becoming an otaku, the second part when the story becomes more fantastical is very funny too, especially when they made their own "garage anime". But I was more focused on the "realistic" parts when they showed the origins of otaku culture in Japan, it always fascinated me the role that shows like Yamato and Gundam had in the late '70s and wanted to know more about the early otaku culture. The references to works like Macross DYRL and Nausicaä being treated like legendary events are some of my favourites.
I also remember during the interview with an american otaku that the japanese voice-over wasn't translating what the interviewee was actually saying. Some time later I found out that the american otaku actually made an honest response to the question and he wasn't told about the inaccurate translation made for the segment, which I don't think was cool on Gainax's part, and I know that that segment wasn't meant to take seriously but I wish I could hear the real answer that he made, but I could never find it.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
(snip)
I also remember during the interview with an american otaku that the japanese voice-over wasn't translating what the interviewee was actually saying. Some time later I found out that the american otaku actually made an honest response to the question and he wasn't told about the inaccurate translation made for the segment, which I don't think was cool on Gainax's part, and I know that that segment wasn't meant to take seriously but I wish I could hear the real answer that he made, but I could never find it.

I remember reading another interpretation that the mistranslation of the American guy may have been deliberate. Sort of a take that to how anime shows were commonly butchered in the West back then.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:36 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:
(snip)

I remember reading another interpretation that the mistranslation of the American guy may have been deliberate. Sort of a take that to how anime shows were commonly butchered in the West back then.

Having seen the show, frankly - I'm sure the mistranslation was deliberate, but I'm also sure that the intent behind it was more "lol look at the hilarious gaijin otaku" than anything else.
MadOverlord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:08 am Reply with quote
Nice review. It would be nicer if you linked to our product page - https://animeigo.com/onv.

Also, as best we can determine, this is what Shon is saying in that interview:

Quote:
If you want to, please, be my guest. Well, ahh, boy, you know Japan has so much of this, this wonderful stuff. I could talk about it for hours but if I had to put it into a word… just one, it'd be wonderful.

That'd be it. Yeah. Anyways… Stuff like this… I got, I got hooked on Japanese comics and animation 'cause they're so different from American comics. They… evolve. They mature in a [totally] different way.

For example, America, we've got a few really good graphic designers like, uh, Syd Mead. Uh, but… compared to Japan, it's just like… hardly any, and in Japan, all-­all kinds of graphics designers, all kinds of mechanical designers are… involved in animation, manga, related arts[?], stuff like this. It's really amazing.

Oh, my favorite character? Ahh, oh yeah, that's gotta be Lum. Yeah. I've been thinkin' about it for a while, and… America's number one evil symbol, it's, uh, Satan, right? And… a demon, Satan. And Lum's a demon too.

Yeah, 'cause they're all… ahhhh… beautiful, sexy. But she's still a demon. And… defined that idea, I like that bind… together.

You can find this and other info about the show on our wiki: https://wiki.animeigo.com/
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:59 am Reply with quote
MadOverlord wrote:
Nice review. It would be nicer if you linked to our product page - https://animeigo.com/onv.

Note if you want the blu-ray with the commentary track you have to select that version. You can also select the premium set with extras.

Disclaimer: Robert and I did the commentary track on the blu-ray.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:45 am Reply with quote
A big thanks to the guys over at AWO for introducing this amazing series to me back when I first started my foray into anime! No Daryl, this, along with NHK, did not scare me off becoming an otaku. In fact, I now have a masters degree in Japanese studies more than a decade after the fact. (^.^')

Also, "...being an otaku in moderation" is an oxymoron.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Did Sony even make VHS decks in the eighties? I suspect that VCR was Betamax.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1