• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Whisker Away

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I really like the review. I just watched this and really enjoyed it. Hope everyone enjoys too. I am a big fan of love stories and romances
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:50 am Reply with quote
I loved this film -- it is a classic Mari Okada story: a tale about two young protagonists living flawed lives trying to figure things out. The review is mostly fair, although it should be pointed out that its complaint that some of the interpersonal relationship issues with the secondary characters being left open-ended and unresolved is pretty much de rigueur in any Mari Okada story and is probably intentional (Anohana, Kiznaiver, Toradora). They are part of what make Okada's characters feel fleshed out and real IMHO.
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:59 am Reply with quote
The subs fly by fast and there is crucial information that you need to catch so you don't get lost at certain points. If you want to watch this film with your cat loving non-otaku friend who is not used to reading fast subtitles I recommend you wait for the dub.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:09 am Reply with quote
I liked this well enough, the studio is trying very hard to capture that Ghibli magic but never quite gets there. I do think they have a lot of potential though and should be interesting to see what they do in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:29 am Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
I liked this well enough, the studio is trying very hard to capture that Ghibli magic but never quite gets there. I do think they have a lot of potential though and should be interesting to see what they do in the future.

I'm not sure if I'd say they're trying to capture ghibli per say, and from all of the other stuff I've seen from them I'd say they're doing just fine, though there have been a few changes among staff from what I can recall.

Anyway as for the movie I liked it a lot better than I thought I would after hearing it was a Mari Okada work. I'm no detractor of her's but I've had a very hit or miss relationship with her original works. This definitely felt the most satisfying as a whole package even if there are some parts of the movie that feel more awkward in pacing and execution (like the third act in the spirit room). Still I admire what it manages to accomplish in it's leads and I'm not super torn up about the side characters not getting full arcs or anything, it's not their story.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The only thing that Miyo really cares about is Kento.

Which is evidenced by Yori never getting a scarecrow form like Kento. No, I didn't mean "evidenced", more like the opposite, "disproved". Seriously, don't you just hate it when a movie skips over the old adage "show, don't tell"? Ah, again! It's "adheres" and not "skips".

Maybe Muge should have just explained how she felt, slowly and at great length.

Did anyone else get the feeling that the sphinx cat was Kento's father? Again, I guess the movie should have spelled these things out for the "this is Ghibli lite" crowd.

Quote:
Watching A Whisker Away as an adult, this scenario raises all sorts of questions about privacy, consent, and personal boundaries that the movie never seems all that interested in resolving.
Well, you should have thought of that before having your cat spayed or neutered. Honestly, they're not questions the movie asked because that's life for cats like Taro.... which you seem to be confusing with a girl named Muge.
Eventually, Muge realizes the best Taro can get is attention followed by mild affection while she herself has moved on from the "look at me" attention phase of puppy love. She also starts to lose the ability to understand human speech so she realizes she'd be no better off over what she had before... Connection without communication is no better than communication with no connection.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:40 pm Reply with quote
my thoughts exactly on the clumsy writing! my friend and i watched the movie and were pretty like "huh? the plot's only NOW going into motion?" and we had like 50 minutes left
AZLeafCat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:51 pm Reply with quote
It appears the English dub cast was recently added to the film's ANN listing. Looks like a solid dub cast. Although the Japanese cast was great (especially Mirai Shida), hopefully the dub helps the film get more views on Netflix.

Quote:
Cherami Leigh as Miyo Sasaki/Tarō
Johnny Yong Bosch as Kento Hinode

Erika Harlacher as Yoriko Fukase
Griffin Burns as Masamichi Isami
Griffin Puatu as Tomoya Sakaguchi
Keith Silverstein as Cat Storekeeper
Laura Post as Kaoru Mizutani
Reba Buhr as Miki Saitō
Robert Buchholz as Mr. Kusonoki
Todd Haberkorn as Yōji Sasaki

Bryce Papenbrook as Bannai
Cindy Robinson as Yatagai
Cristina Vee as
Kinako
Yumi
Griffin Burns as
Utsumi
Yasuhara
Griffin Puatu as Niibori
Kira Buckland as
Mizoguchi
Sachiko
Kirk Thornton as Kenzo
Laura Post as Matsushita
Todd Haberkorn as Motomiya

I do wonder if A Whisker Away would have ended up on Netflix worldwide if COVID-19 did not cancel its Japan release. Sure, Netflix could have still acquired the distribution rights outside of Japan (as they have for other anime), but it's also possible that Eleven Arts (which distributed Penguin Highway, the studio's previous film) or GKIDS could have acquired the title instead for North America. Sadly, it means a North American BD or DVD release is out of the question.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1