• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream SUPER HXEROS Anime This Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Changeman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:57 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
CatSword wrote:
Hope with Aniplex's backing we're not dealing with another Reviewers.

Probably not, this is essentially Shueisha’s temporary replacement of To Love Ru Darkness since the latter has already concluded on Jump Square. At worst, the fan service will be at level of High School DxD, which Funimation has no problem to deal with it.

And of course, it will be heavily censored like Yuna anime, for the sake of selling Blu-ray

There will be an uncensored or more "flexible" version being released on a Japanese streaming dAnime store.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the source material but I really don't see this as being worse than the myriad other fanservice titles Funimation has licensed (i.e. High School DxD, Testament of Sister New Devil, Daimidaler)
There's a differenec between ecchi shows and shows that are straight up about people having sex with questionable age prostitutes. You guys are making a big drama over nothing.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:35 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

There's a differenec between ecchi shows and shows that are straight up about people having sex with questionable age prostitutes. You guys are making a big drama over nothing.
This seems to be the discourse nowadays whenever Funimation licenses another ecchi title even though Funimation was not the only one who cancelled Interspecies Reviewer.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:58 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Y'all realize it was the extreme borderline hentai content and halfling sex in episode 3 that killed Interspecies Reviewers as a FUNi property, right?

It's weird how I keep seeing comments about it that try to make it sound like this is a common thing for them. It happened once, involved a show that went farther with the content than the source material, and was enough that a few Japanese tv stations discontinued broadcast.

Overall, I don't agree with Funimation's choice, but I get it.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:57 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It happened once

Funimation released the home video version of Tsugumomo with some parts replaced with the broadcast version to avoid the more problematic bits. Unfortunately, those who bought the discs, only found that out afterwards. So twice, at least...
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:59 am Reply with quote
right, but they didn't drop it, they released it
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I can’t speak for everyone, but a cut release is the same as no release for me. I’m one of the suckers that bought Tsugumomo and didn’t know they used a cut version at the time. I wouldn’t have bought it if I knew. Funi does have some plausible deniability in that one though since the Japanese licensors could have provided that version, but it seems unlikely since they recalled releases for that kind of problem before.

I’ll add not to forget about the Dance in the Vampire Bund controversy. They were going to censor it, but that idea was eventually dropped due to fan backlash. There was also a small censorship issue in Haganai Season 2 where an image was from the censored TV version, but the l rest of the show was the same as the Japanese release. Those are the only other issues I can think of at the moment. I do think these issues are relevant since people like to act like Funimation has a squeaky clean reputation regarding ecchi shows. They don’t. These issues don’t pop up often. I’ll say that much, but I don’t recall Sentai doing stuff like this. I’m just saying.

Regardless, I’m happy people continue to roast Funi for the Interspecies Reviewers decision. Sure, they were within their rights to drop it, but it sucks for us fans that liked the show and wanted to watch it through legal streaming and/or a physical media release. It sucks even more because there is a good possibility that they’re sitting on the license now and no one can release it.

Anyway, more on topic, I’ll try this show. Looks fun.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:02 am Reply with quote
Even censored i don't trust Funi to air this to completion.

Something, Something, not meeting company standards and ideals....and what not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2