• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schanhshop7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:38 am Reply with quote
Smile
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:47 am Reply with quote
Going public but not making everything public...
what part would you make public if not everything?
"Ogino was sleeping around with other women." So Ishigami overreacted.
"Ogino had film that he would have made released..." What film? What was it if we can't know about it? Lets start some rumors!
Backing up "Ogino offered to have Kyoko have sex with Ishigami." What did he have on her?

There is evidence but it is evidence than can never come out. People who need to know, know enough to keep Ogino in check. The truth coming out will not give Ishigami his middle school life back but it would ruin Kyoko... which would make the price Ishigami paid meaningless. Did she deserve his concern? That's a different question and even Ishigami doesn't think it's worth asking, I'm fine with that as it's his life. Also... Ishigami's support girls, no other way to put that other than "harem", they know Ishigami's true worth even without the knowledge Miyuki has. spoiler[I think I safely thread the spoiler needle on that one. I think only two read the Student Council's report at this point? I don't know the manga, I'm just going by the reactions of Hasagawa and Kobachi here.... though I have no idea how Kobachi read it.]

I'm with Miyuki, Ishigami's mistake was that he beat Ogino into a pulp publicly... I mean he beat him up at all. Yes, the problem was that it was at all and not just publicly. It's not like Ogino was an obvious and dangerous narcissist so damaging his face permanently would solve the problem.

That would have been wrong.

Edit Something I forgot. Would Kyoko believe anything about Ogino without seeing the sex tape? Like I said, I don't think she knew it was filmed and without evidence, it's a case of "guy who I liked but was beaten up said" and "guy who beat him up said". Ogino already got ahead of the lie with the stalker comment so anything without the evidence... destroyed by Ogino at this point.. would not reach her.

Would Kyoko have been better off knowing her sex with Ogino was filmed and he showed it to someone? To what effect? Not to be so trusting of men? She already learned that from Ishigami. So she wouldn't chase after Ogino? Ogino knows people know so he would never go near her again. So she wouldn't pine after Ogino? As long as her early sexual experience doesn't get discolored with sordid details, I'd say she'd get over him eventually. Because it's her life? All she has to do is ask Ishigami "Why did you do it?" PRIVATELY but she'd rather just believe what she believes because it fits her simple world view: Ogino, good, Ishigami, bad.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Edit Something I forgot. Would Kyoko believe anything about Ogino without seeing the sex tape? Like I said, I don't think she knew it was filmed and without evidence, it's a case of "guy who I liked but was beaten up said" and "guy who beat him up said". Ogino already got ahead of the lie with the stalker comment so anything without the evidence... destroyed by Ogino at this point.. would not reach her.

Would Kyoko have been better off knowing her sex with Ogino was filmed and he showed it to someone? To what effect? Not to be so trusting of men? She already learned that from Ishigami. So she wouldn't chase after Ogino? Ogino knows people know so he would never go near her again. So she wouldn't pine after Ogino? As long as her early sexual experience doesn't get discolored with sordid details, I'd say she'd get over him eventually. Because it's her life? All she has to do is ask Ishigami "Why did you do it?" PRIVATELY but she'd rather just believe what she believes because it fits her simple world view: Ogino, good, Ishigami, bad.

I mean, I know anime practically never touches on this, but at the very least, Kyoko should at least be informed of the cheating so she can make sure she's STD-free.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Going public but not making everything public...
what part would you make public if not everything?

Since you appear to be responding to my previous post, I should clarify that I never said the matter should be made public, but I do think the people continuing to ostracize Ishigami should be presented with some version of the truth. As for which details should be revealed: Ogino's philandering and his threats of retribution in the event of exposure. The student council seems to be held in high enough regard that if this story came from them, most people would believe it. If additional details were requested, refusing to reveal them on the grounds that they could prove too damaging to innocent parties (i.e., Kyoko) would be the best course of action.

And you're correct -- this would not fully redeem Ishigami (nor should it), but it would clear him of the stalking charge and frame his actions in a slightly better light.

Quote:

I don't agree that Kyoko essentially learned the same lesson either way. If anything, being completely shielded from the truth may ultimately make her less trusting of certain types of men and result in her not being cautious enough around others. Since Ishigami was quiet and socially withdrawn, she may be less apt to befriend people who exhibit these traits in the future and write them off as stalker-types while continuing to implicitly trust sociopaths like Ogino. (This isn't to say that she shouldn't be cautious around men in general.)

As it stands, Ogino is free to continue his predatory behavior (albeit at another school), and Kyoko seemingly remains ignorant of the fact that people who present themselves well can be monsters.

Last edited by JaggedAuthor on Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Since people have mentioned it, it's worth noting that in the manga Ishigami believes that Ogino's "offer" of Kyoko was merely a tactic to take back control of the situation. We don't know if he had to means to force her to do that or if he would have followed through even if he did (though Ishigami doesn't believe he would have). This is all afterwards of course as Ishigami reflects on what happened.
We don't know what Ishigami was shown either. It could have a skimpy photo or something just to get the point across (though spread that around could easily be just as bad for Kyoko in school, regardless of content). Nor do we even know how far Kyoko & Ogino's relationship had progressed. We just know that Ogino was sleeping around.
Unless Kyoko finds out and shares what she knows, we really only have a piece of their relationship puzzle.

Not that any of that makes Ogino any less of a scum bag, but just thought I'd add some additional info from the manga and my own thoughts seeing so many people imagining the most worst case scenarios.

I am curious about what was up with that memory card that Ogino destroyed though. It was never brought up prior and he smashes it but makes no reference to it. Was it photos of other girls or some other kind of incriminating evidence (that could have just been deleted)? It makes for a nice show, but seems completely random without any context
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:16 pm Reply with quote
^ The anime makes the phone just give off some light in Ishigami's face so it looks like a photograph. The manga panel has dialogue boxes with scribbles in them, making it seem like what he was sharing was a video with audio.

I thought what he was destroying was actually a chip. Like, he was destroying a burner cellphone number, or something like that.
cchigu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Fan [expletive] tastic finale. AotY 2020.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:35 pm Reply with quote
That was a wonderful sendoff. Seeing Kaguya get to bond with the whole council over the photos was precious - but even with all that touching friendship, it was the final, ridiculous segment that sealed the deal. The status quo of the comedy dynamic has now been reestablished: Fujiwara is the same agent of chaos as always, Ishigami has (or hasn't?) become stronger after the festival arc, Miko is now fully immersed and subject to the same antics as the rest, and Miyuki and Kaguya are back to their desperate battle of wits. I caught some visual callbacks to the 1st season opening, too!
I also want to shout out to Hayasaki for her reactions to both Kaguya and the phone. Laughing She still steals the show for me.

I'm sad the season is over, but I hope we can see a third season in a couple years or so. In the meantime, I guess I'll get started on the manga!
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Do people know the (very) old British TV series, The Prisoner? It was about a prison for "retired" spies --- only, no one knew which side was running the prison.

One of its security measures was a giant roaring balloon (known as "Rover") that would come bounding across the grass or the sea to engulf the escapee. Encounters with Rover would end with the escapee's face and hands pressed up against Rover's side.

Anyway, that's what was going on in that weird vision Miyuki had while inflating the balloon.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:30 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Do people know the (very) old British TV series, The Prisoner? It was about a prison for "retired" spies --- only, no one knew which side was running the prison.

Yeah, the shot angle makes it an obvious shout-out. And OMG, I had no idea that Japan ever got The Prisoner back in the day. What a wild thing to reference. Anyways, here’s a tweet comparing the two: https://twitter.com/invalidname/status/1277292463078727681?s=21
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Ah. It was Ishigami's vision. It makes sense that he'd be the one familiar with a show like that.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I felt this final episode was just good, guess it really didn't land for me. It's a nice ending for the season, but this season has had better episodes imo.

I get it's not the point, but you'd think Kaguya would have the resources to try to get her data recovered from someone other than the sales person at a phone store.

Most disappointing thing about this episode though (not that it affected my enjoyment of it one way or the other) was the lack of a season 3 confirmation at the end. Maybe things are just too uncertain right now to make such a statement
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Most disappointing thing about this episode though (not that it affected my enjoyment of it one way or the other) was the lack of a season 3 confirmation at the end. Maybe things are just too uncertain right now to make such a statement

Maybe? Or maybe Aniplex is holding something back for their Kaguya-sama: Love Is War Special Panel at Aniplex Online Fest this July 4.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I get it's not the point, but you'd think Kaguya would have the resources to try to get her data recovered from someone other than the sales person at a phone store.

Kaguya has been shown to be pretty inept with technology before. I think it's in character for her to forget about trying to back up her phone data.

Covnam wrote:

Do we normally get seasons confirmed so quickly in this industry? I mean, I honestly don't know, but I would think it's uncommon. I don't recall season 1 confirming a sequel when it finished.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:23 am Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
Do we normally get seasons confirmed so quickly in this industry? I mean, I honestly don't know, but I would think it's uncommon. I don't recall season 1 confirming a sequel when it finished.

My running theory is this: since we know anime studios now have a 3-to-4 year wait list for starting new productions, I bet some production committees / rights holders are coming in and booking two seasons at once, to air a year apart or so. This avoids the situation where a show unexpectedly takes off and a new season can't be brought to air quickly enough to capitalize on the excitement (looking at you, Attack on Titan, Re: Zero, Mr. Osomatsu, etc.). On the other hand, when the first season is a dud, it also means producing a second season that seemingly no one wanted (Rewrite, Hand Shakers / W'z).

So, FWIW, I think that's why we got two seasons of Kaguya-sama: Love is War and only one of the similarly-popular Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun: my guess is that Aniplex always planned to do two seasons. And if there's to be a third season (or a movie), it will come much later, since they're now at the back of A-1 Pictures' line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6