• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Right Stuf Opens Life-Sized Re:Zero Rem Figure For Pre-Order

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
Whoever buys this figure funds another season of Re:Zero.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:00 pm Reply with quote
As envious as I am about the spending habits of anyone able to afford such a luxury item I have to wonder... isn't this a huge rip-off?

I know art is one of those things where you can put any price on any thing but as some people have pointed out you could buy a car or use as a deposit for a house.

Is this figure made out of some sort of super expensive material? is the clothing stitched with gold or is there real jewellery?

I don't think any less of anyone who'd want such a beautiful figure but it really seems like a stupidly overpriced figure.

I feel like you could produce a figure much better than this with a fraction of the cost and what people are paying for really is the publicity of owning it, not the actual product.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
As envious as I am about the spending habits of anyone able to afford such a luxury item I have to wonder... isn't this a huge rip-off?

I know art is one of those things where you can put any price on any thing but as some people have pointed out you could buy a car or use as a deposit for a house.

Is this figure made out of some sort of super expensive material? is the clothing stitched with gold or is there real jewellery?

I don't think any less of anyone who'd want such a beautiful figure but it really seems like a stupidly overpriced figure.

I feel like you could produce a figure much better than this with a fraction of the cost and what people are paying for really is the publicity of owning it, not the actual product.

Well first off, have you seen how much statues go for in their small stature? Their costs have been going up quite a bit over time, as well. Consider those costs, of a small statue that is around $300-400, and think about multiplying it to life size. I mean, that's still a lot of plastic. I don't know how far 3D printing tech has come to make it look as flawless/complicated/large as this, either.

I'm not sure if $40k is an appropriate price, but I am curious with how much the costs-profit margin ratio would be for this. There's only 10 being made period, which also makes it more expensive when there is so few. It is however, a unique piece, and not often that a detailed life-sized figure gets made, either.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:42 pm Reply with quote
My guess is Shawne secretly hopes it never sells and he gets to keep it himself, or RightStuf has provisional plans for a really fancy lobby in Grimes.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I buy anime figures, but I can’t imagine myself buying a 1/1 figure even if I had the money.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:55 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
My guess is Shawne secretly hopes it never sells and he gets to keep it himself, or RightStuf has provisional plans for a really fancy lobby in Grimes.

No one watches their lobby. Such an item could not be left by itself. Vandalism or theft would be a constant problem.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Who the heck would be stupid enough (or rich enough) to buy a $40,000 FIGURINE?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
I think that may be in part for getting the word out (1/1 scale anime figures are almost never sold by North American shops), and in part marketing for the whole site (it's pretty newsworthy, and if it draws in some curious fans, maybe they'll end up buying something else).

It's probably mainly general marketing for the site, yeah, but it still looks pretty goofy in and of itself. The ad also says it's "one of the biggest" figures they've sold. Um... what was the biggest one, then? (Or maybe it's because the biggest one ever is also technically one of the biggest.)

#900192 wrote:
Whoever buys this figure funds another season of Re:Zero.

The 3 Rightstuf's selling, at very high profit margins, might fund one episode. Making anime isn't cheap.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I saw this in my RS junk email a few days ago and thought "Who's shitting who, this has got to be a joke?". And then I saw the listing and realized it was for real-yeah, like I have $40,000 burning a hole in my pocket so why not? NO!! I'll bet if I really wanted one I could have it made for $8000 or maybe $10,000 tops-but $40,000!?!??!?! NO WAY JOSE!!
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
So I asked my bank how much I had in my account, and the only answer I got was Re: Zero.
-SP-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:37 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Who the heck would be stupid enough (or rich enough) to buy a $40,000 FIGURINE?

Collecting Anime related goods is one of my hobbies, and I could afford this expense. considering the fact there is only 3 of them available, they would most likely hold their value. But I can't really justify the cost, for that price, I could throw it into a index fund and let it grow but there are many people who can justify this and I predict this will sell out quick. I remember an ANN article on some guy who bought the lifesize Ayase from Oreimo, and that guy had a bunch of luxury watches and high end cars, some Anime fans are absolutely loaded.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:53 am Reply with quote
When I started watching anime over 20 years ago I made a decision to only collect physical releases of anime, no figures or any other such shit. Even so I cringe when I think how much money I've spent over the years but I know it hasn't been $40,000!!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:09 am Reply with quote
The insurance and warranty on that figure has to be a banking account's nightmare.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:08 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
While the figure is great that is very expensive. That is a price of an expensive car.

Still, imagine how much public transport (or 1st-class plane tickets) $40,000 could buy.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:54 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
The ad also says it's "one of the biggest" figures they've sold. Um... what was the biggest one, then? (Or maybe it's because the biggest one ever is also technically one of the biggest.)

I thought that was funny as well, especially since they haven't been selling figures for that long. Prior to Rem, I think they largest figure they sold was this Devilman Crybaby one, which is 27 inches tall. Rem is almost certainly the biggest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3