• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 'Must Watch' Anime by MAPPA

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:58 am Reply with quote
*Looking at list*
Kids on the slope, yep great show. Story wasn't that great but nothing bad. And the music scene more than make up for that.

Yuri on ice, yup great show. They pushed themselves too hard on some skating sequence but I heard they fixed all that in subsequent release. Bit of a shame they didn't have the guts to go all out on the homosexual relationship (hiding kiss, never formerly acknowledging it).

Dororo wasn't my thing (found the world a bit boring and liked none of the character) but I can see people liking it.

Terror in re- /SPIT TAKE. What?! You kidding? If I was working in the anime industry, terror in resonance would be the show I'd remove from my CV out of shame, I'd rather have a giant gap with nothing than this (except for music but Kanno is legendary at this point). A 14 year old kid would turn this story to a teacher and he'd be told it's a bit immature and that they need to get over their edgelord phase now.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:23 am Reply with quote
I’m pleasantly surprised to see Terror on this list because I know most people seem to hate it. I personally loved it, though. For me, the animation was stellar, the music was fantastic and the acting was top notch. I’ve rewatched it a few times over the years and I still get emotional over Nine and Twelve even now. I mean, the story is not without its flaws, but on the whole I highly enjoyed it.

Also this reminds me that I need to finish Kids on the Slope. I got about halfway through then wandered away back when it was airing.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:49 am Reply with quote
My 3 votes weren't on the list, neat.
TooLazyToComeUpWithaName

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Kakegurui should've made the list instead of YoI imo
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Kakegurui and Garo: Crest of Flame are my favorite MAPPA shows.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I noticed most MAPPA animes have 12 or 13 episodes(some of them have 11). And it makes me wonder, will Jujutsu Kaisen have 12 or 13 episodes too? If it's true, then it will be a letdown for JJK fans.
Lenks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
I noticed most MAPPA animes have 12 or 13 episodes(some of them have 11). And it makes me wonder, will Jujutsu Kaisen have 12 or 13 episodes too? If it's true, then it will be a letdown for JJK fans.

I can think of two options:: get caught up to the manga quickly and get stuffed with filler, or go the MHA or Haikyuu route and have breaks and have very little filler.

KotS and YoI have list space over Banana Fish makes me real sad.
Oggers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with this list, though I do wish Banana Fish and Zombie Land Saga had gotten mentions as well since they're both great series in their own right. My only real nitpick is Banana Fish's time period being moved to the 2010s, since the original manga's story is so closely tied to the 80s.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:51 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
My 3 votes weren't on the list, neat.

Are they a secret? Smile

I think despite everything, I would probably have loved Terror in Resonance, if only they hadn't had Lisa. She was like biting into a sweet, juicy apple and seeing half a worm.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely, 'cause then next week when we get the results I get to complain about how people don't know what the Messiah would look like if they can't even vote Teekyuu into the top 5.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:31 pm Reply with quote
And no Inuyashiki? Best OP of that year, amazing animation and the most unconventional main character ever? Plus the goodest of girls, Hanako?

I know opinion is subjective, but sometimes... Dang.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Not even including Garo as a whole seems insulting.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I am one of the few people who liked Terror in Resonance, but it is NOT a must watch MAPPA show.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:30 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
*Looking at list*
Bit of a shame they didn't have the guts to go all out on the homosexual relationship (hiding kiss, never formerly acknowledging it).

lol it's 2020 and we're still spouting that stuff. you know people hold heterosexual and gay relationships to different standards when two characters can get engaged and people will still say 'they didn't have the guts to go all out'.

YOI is the only thing I consider a guaranteed pick on this list. It's impact is massive and undeniable, and not including it would make for a hugely disingenuous Mappa retrospective (what's up @ crunchyroll). You can't make a must watch list without including what is indisputably a studio's star project.

Outside of that, I didn't enjoy Kids on the Slope, so I wouldn't include it on this list. I think Zombieland Saga or Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis (NOT Virgin soul) deserve the slot more. And I can't decide between Terror in Resonance or Banana Fish. Terror in Resonance was messy at points and had a bad ending, but it was aesthetically beautiful, the characters were great, there were legitimately breathtaking scenes, and the music was one of Yoko Kanno's best OSTs. Banana Fish was a cleaner narrative and also had a bad ending, but it didn't have the majesty and ambition to it that Terror in Resonance had (even though TiR didn't quite pull it off). I'm undecided between the two.

Regarding the other two, Dorehedoro was too busy for me, but I loved Dororo and would definitely include it in Mappa's top five.

Their outpoint this year has been disappointing for me. Obviously it's amazing for them, from a business POV that they're getting huge projects like Jujutsu Kaisen and Attack on Titan, but I've always been drawn to them because they take on unique projects, and those are both pretty rote and standard. Hopefully this just means they'll have more money to take on more inventive and even risky titles in the future.

Last edited by kazenoyume on Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
MAPPA seems like one of those cool up-and-coming studios that we should look at in the future for continually stellar work. I’ve personally always wondered what makes them stand out as a studio - like, what’s their trademark? I ask mainly because the Gigguk video of anime studios gone Hetalia had MAPPA as a stoic straight man to Trigger, lol sorry.

rahzel rose wrote:
I’m pleasantly surprised to see Terror on this list because I know most people seem to hate it. I personally loved it, though. For me, the animation was stellar, the music was fantastic and the acting was top notch. I’ve rewatched it a few times over the years and I still get emotional over Nine and Twelve even now. I mean, the story is not without its flaws, but on the whole I highly enjoyed it.

This is the first I’m hearing of Terror being poorly received (minus the guy at the top). Personally, it needed an extra cour. They crammed a lot of plot into the 11 episodes, and while you got to understand Twelve and Shibazaki in particular, the other characters faltered from a lack of emphasis, with Nine mostly just being stoic, Lisa being a character with tons of potential for Twelve’s arc only to basically be a damsel in distress all the way through, and Five coming off almost like a yandere without any proper motive for anything she does. In addition to the characters, the themes also varied wildly. You go into the series expecting it to be some historical reflection on various real-life terrorist attacks (no doubt exacerbated by many of the bombings directly paralleling 9/11, the London Train bombings, etc.), but it veers hard into spoiler[a critique on post-WWII Japan, child experimentation, and American-Japanese relations, the latter of which are not nearly as bad as the series makes it out to be]. That said, the series is still rather good, which great production values, an overall perfect tone, and some genuinely interesting ideas. If it gets a bad rap, that’s probably because it has to compete with Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, which is both fair and not fair IMO (fair in that Watanabe should deliver quality anime, not fair in that he doesn’t have to make a classic every single time he does anime, especially when it’s vastly different from his previous work).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3