• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Did something happen here today?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:33 pm Reply with quote
First I get Cloudflare checked when coming to the site. No biggie. But then after I managed to get to somewhere I wanted to post none of the buttons worked (they do now, 6 hrs later). I restarted Firefox, to no avail. Also almost all of the images on the front page blocks still don't load. And sometimes when trying to load a page I get one of those barebones index-looking lists instead of a fully formatted page (see below - also coming back to edit this gave me a similar list. Took me some scrolling to find the editing box, and it won't let me preview, so sorry about the wonky formatting of the images).

In other words, there's been a lot of buggyness going on here today. I thought there'd be a thread about it, but not a peep. I can't be the only one seeing this, am I? It seems to just be this site, so I'm thinking it's not on my end, though I could be wrong.

(click for larger image) (click for larger image)

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:33 am; edited 3 times in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti--
Yeah, I had something similar happen to me as well. I thought there was latency on my end; but, no, it was on the Cloudflare/ANN server end.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if it's related because while I've gotten the cloudflare precheck page everything's loaded normally after that. The problem for me is that over the last few weeks, this site has just been loading very, very slowly. Like slow enough that sometimes I can walk away and come back a couple minutes later and everything's still processing. Usually I'll just switch to another tab and come back in five minutes.

I've checked the forums a few times and hadn't seen anyone else talk about it, so maybe it's just me, but I have no issues loading any other websites, so . . .
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, the refusal to format the page seems to have resolved (knock on wood), but the load times are out of control. Every page today has taken forever, so I timed how long it took to bring up this reply page and it was a minute 19 sec. I've come around at different times of day to see if it's a traffic issue, but it makes no difference.

It's annoying, but I guess in the larger scheme of things right now, this I can cope with. Smile
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:19 am Reply with quote
Aye. Ever since the cloudflare check I got a few days ago the website has been extremely slow.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:59 am Reply with quote
I hope this "slow site" problem is fixed soon, I'm getting sick of all the Internal Server Error and Timeout messages and the Steins;Gate chibis associated with them. (Would it kill them to throw feature Okabe, Suzuha and Ferris every once in a while?)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:57 am Reply with quote
Yes, we're having major problems with the servers since Friday. We're working on resolving the problems, and we also have some extra capacity on it's way in.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Okay, Dan figured out the problem and we've worked around it for now, while we will be fixing the actual bug soon.

It's a very old piece of code that had a bug in it. The bug was never triggered until late May, and since May the size of ANN's front page has been growing every day. Last week it got to the point where it was filling our server's cache, and suddenly it went from causing a little load, to causing a huge amount of load.

It was very hard to find the cause because we started by looking at recent changes, those are the usual culprits.

I apologize for the problems you had accessing the site over the last few days, and please let me know either here or on Twitter if you encounter any other problems.

-t
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:43 am Reply with quote
It's baaaack.... Pretty much all the same issues with pages not formatting and such (the buttons seem to work at least). Have to accept all cookies to load images, even though I've accepted ANN's cookies (I think it's Cloudflare intercepting them). What loads or formats and what doesn't seems to vary with every page I bring up. Like, I've edited this twice and every time I get a different looking page (e.g., I started with an index-like page as in the OP, then got a half formatted page in Courier, and finally a normally formatted page).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:13 pm Reply with quote
We had a bit of extra security turned on with Cloudflare yesterday due to a small attack. This security was still on at the time you posted this, so may have been the cause. Are you still having problems now ?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Seems to be all good now. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1