• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - ATTACK AND DESTROY GOD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Busy week.

-Balan: Looks like Yuji Naka trying to do his version of Mario Odyssey, which is fine considering Odyssey is awesome.

-PSO2: Yeah, SEGA's kinda cagey on the details. I'm just counting down to when PSO2 is finally put on the PS4 or Switch; or at the very least Steam because MS' store is AWFUL

-Fable: Cool.

-SMTIII: Pity Dante isn't back, but Raidou admittedly has Pierce which Dante completely lacked. Also nice that it's getting full voiceover and a Merciful mode because SMTIII could be needlessly obtuse, especially when trying for the True Demon ending.

-SMTV: I remember when people were whining about this supposedly being canceled. Despite mainline SMT games having LONG gaps between releases. And Atlus getting to grips with the UE4. Those people are idiots.

As for the tagline, it really makes me wonder if the meta continues as in IV the true ending was about destroying God, so now everything has been thrown out of whack. This does seem to take from III in town what with the blasted Tokyo and the main character being a high school student. Overall the mini Direct was good, unrealistic hype-mongers be damned.

-Yakuza: Cool, George Takei. Which means THOSE guys will be getting dub actors.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, "ATTACK AND DESTROY GOD" sounds like part of a character name from Kill Six Billion Demons.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:03 pm Reply with quote
- Balan Wonderland: it's nice seeing Naka and Oshima working together, I never played NIGHTS but this project reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy and Odyssey in a good way.
- Xbox Game Showcase: in my opinion, this presentation wasn't as good as the PS5 reveal but some of the games looked promising, especially Psychonauts 2. Although I was hoping that the rumors of a new Banjo-Kazooie and Ninja Gaiden games were real, but I shouldn't have been so optimistic.
- Dragon Quest XI S: it's cool that the complete experience can be played on other consoles at last, but it seems that it's based on the Switch version with downgraded visuals. I don't think Enix managed the DQXI development very well. I hope that SE will make better development decisions for Dragon Quest XII.
- Nintendo mini direct: I went with very low expectations but the reveal of two Shin Megami Tensei titles made it worth it. I also agree that the Japanese version had more interesting tiles overall.
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I thought we were all used to bishounen, but this is the third SMT protag in a row that people have been asking "is that a girl?", so I guess not. Though to be fair, in Flynn's case I think that was when we only saw him from behind. Between the current character designer for the series making some bullshit comment about how a female protagonist in an apocalyptic story "doesn't make sense" and the company as a whole putting out a grand total of 5 RPGs where you can play as a female protagonist (2 were quick turn-around asset reuses, 1 was a second re-release with a technical downgrade, and 2 weren't developed in-house), I really wouldn't get my hopes up.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Yakuza 7: I hope those extra jobs in the digital editions aren't exclusive...

Quote:
A collector's edition of the game is now available for pre-order, alongside the *heavy sigh* Day Ichi Edition with extra costumes and a shiny steelbook case.

I can't find any info on this collectors edition and this isn't the first place I've seen mention one for the western release. There's nothing on the website about it either...

I know 7 has a new protagonist, but does anyone know if it spoils the earlier games? I still haven't finished all of them, but probably won't wait to play this one.
cfalcon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm particularly excited that Yakuza Like a Dragon will be coming out on PC on Nov 13 (as leaked by the Windows Store and reported by PC Gamer, among other sites). Would be nice if Yakuza 3-6 came to PC at some point too, but it is what it is.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
I thought we were all used to bishounen, but this is the third SMT protag in a row that people have been asking "is that a girl?", so I guess not. Though to be fair, in Flynn's case I think that was when we only saw him from behind. Between the current character designer for the series making some bullshit comment about how a female protagonist in an apocalyptic story "doesn't make sense" and the company as a whole putting out a grand total of 5 RPGs where you can play as a female protagonist (2 were quick turn-around asset reuses, 1 was a second re-release with a technical downgrade, and 2 weren't developed in-house), I really wouldn't get my hopes up.

Saying an anime characters looks feminine is one of the worst ways to assume gender Laughing I imagine it's a combination of wishful thinking + outsiders not used to anime. People did the same thing with the Breath of the Wild reveal when they were convinced Link was a girl.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:30 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Yakuza 7: I hope those extra jobs in the digital editions aren't exclusive...

Hopefully not, but I also wouldn't put it past them. I've seen more and more companies pushing digital versions by putting some amount of content in the download version that doesn't come with physical. Some aren't especially egregious, like the new Crash Bandicoot has a couple of skins that are digital-only. Then you have companies like Koei Tecmo that do digital deluxe versions, but not physical.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Posts have been removed. Let's stay on topic and not turn this into some off topic social debate.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

I know 7 has a new protagonist, but does anyone know if it spoils the earlier games? I still haven't finished all of them, but probably won't wait to play this one.

Given the earlier games it's very possible you'll see some stuff from the earlier games referenced. Even 0 (Chronologically the first game) had some references to stuff that would happen in the later games.

Quote:
One thing that seems to be the subject of much speculation is the assumed protagonist's gender: they appear to we wearing a male school uniform, but have a very feminine appearance. Perhaps Atlus is giving players a non-binary character to interpret however they please? I kinda doubt it, but that would be super-cool. And holy crap, a simultaneous worldwide release? That's never happened before with an Atlus game. Good luck to the localization teams who researching lots of obscure figures from world folklore and religions on a deadline -- they have a very difficult task ahead of them.

I mean the game's been in development since at least 2015 or 2016 they should have all their ducks in a row by now.
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I mean the game's been in development since at least 2015 or 2016 they should have all their ducks in a row by now.

When it was shown in January 2017, it was stated that "development has only just begun," and the director said in February '18 that "we've started full-scale development."

And because Megaten games draw from the same stable of mythological figures, the localizers probably don't have much they need to do on that front (though it looks like they could stand to change some names). Unless SMT V has a huge influx of demons that haven't been in a previously localized game.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

Hopefully not, but I also wouldn't put it past them. I've seen more and more companies pushing digital versions by putting some amount of content in the download version that doesn't come with physical. Some aren't especially egregious, like the new Crash Bandicoot has a couple of skins that are digital-only. Then you have companies like Koei Tecmo that do digital deluxe versions, but not physical.

Yeah, I'm sure they get a bigger cut with a digital sale, so it's not surprising, but as a physical collector it sure is annoying -_-

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Given the earlier games it's very possible you'll see some stuff from the earlier games referenced. Even 0 (Chronologically the first game) had some references to stuff that would happen in the later games.

True, but references wouldn't be an issue as they'd probably go over my head if I don't know what they're referencing, but I wouldn't want to find out how 5 or 6 ends (for instance) either.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:14 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:

I was gonna say, yeah. People thought P5 would give us a non-binary protagonist until P5 turned out to be... P5.

I'd really like for the SMT games to be better about their female characters.

Anyway. I saw buzz for Balan Wonderland and now that I can see the trailer... wow. Yeah, I'm in. I miss this kind of brilliantly-designed charming world, especially one from Yuji Naka. (Alas, Rodea The Sky Soldier wasn't to be that game, not after how it was sabotaged...)
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:48 am Reply with quote
FYI DQ XI Definitive Edition is a switch PORT meaning it has the weaker graphics of the switch version so not as Definitive as we hoped
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

True, but references wouldn't be an issue as they'd probably go over my head if I don't know what they're referencing, but I wouldn't want to find out how 5 or 6 ends (for instance) either.

Well you better stay away from 4 if you haven't yet finished 3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1