• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Jump Teases One Piece Manga is Headed Toward 'Upcoming Final Arc'

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:23 am Reply with quote
Mod Edit: Troll post removed
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:24 am Reply with quote
I'm worried about Oda's health. It's way too sudden. Sure, it obviously won't just randomly end, but I have no idea how one can finish all the stories that Oda launched, in one arc.
SouthParkboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:42 am Reply with quote
Always love One Piece as one of my favorite anime and manga series and through it's ups and downs, Long live One Piece!
matt78

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:48 am Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
I'm worried about Oda's health. It's way too sudden. Sure, it obviously won't just randomly end, but I have no idea how one can finish all the stories that Oda launched, in one arc.

I think it has at least another 5 years before it ends. Wano itself is suppose to have 2 more acts to it, The only way I can see it ending anytime soon is if Oda decides to cut out a lot of stuff or allows it to be anime only. Neither of which I see happening. There is also the possibility they mean saga which would make more sense since that could string together a lot of the loose ends that need to be taken care of.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:53 am Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
Wasn't it a number of years ago that he said the series was half way done? And as matt78 says, it will have a few more years before it ends.
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
Just like Toriyama, oda has been up and down about how long this series will run for since the beginning. I wouldn't be getting all hyped up about any of this. Just like dragonball, most of these "i want to end it by" claims are probably just rumors. Artists usually have assitants that often speak for them. For instance, Toriyama only ever wanted to end dragon ball once (at the end o king piccolo arc, when goku and chichi got married) but was pressured into continuing it by toei, who asked him to come up with a new name for the second half of the anime..having wanted to end the thing at what he thought was the conclusion, and being pressured to turn his eastern based manga into a westernized anime ..he named it z claiming that this was definitely the end of his franchise..

this turned into him apparently saying he chose to call it z because it would be ending soon,
it would end in the frieza saga..etc etc etc

none of this was true. People took something said in jest and frustration and used it to substantiate rumors for multiple years, claiming he said this and he said that..
when he actually came out and said when asked if he was ending dragonball "absolutely not!" ..

in other words, don't believe everything you hear, especially when it comes from another language, is not spoken by the actual person writing the thing.

odds are 5 years from now oda will say "i want to end it in 5 years"..which will be the 4th time he has said it...if it was actually him saying it and not an assitant..
Honeyman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:13 am Reply with quote
After Wano wraps in whatever way it does and given two of the yonkō are currently in the picture I don't think there will be that many more arcs after this one tbh. Oda's probably thinking he'll be 50 years old by 2025 and ending it before or by then would be a good target to aim for.

I'm getting the feeling chapter 1000 will have some immense reveal (its too significant of a chapter number to reach for any series to not make it extra special). Something along the lines of what D stands for or the path to Raftel is revealed.

If the final arc covers the above as well as a war at New Marineford why not make the last arc 150-175 chapters long? That's plenty of time to work through the series remaining mysteries, have the relevant face-offs and bring closure to our favourite characters' journeys (Luffy will probably continue travelling the open seas as long as he lives though).

In any case I'm glad there's an endpoint in sight as its not healthy for any artist to work on a series for the majority of their life. I'm assuming Oda wants to spend a bit more time with his wife and daughter and finishing the series in the next handful of years will allow him to do that.

Given how much you've entertained me and many others the last two and a half decades, do whatever you want Oda-san. You've more than earned it.

Last edited by Honeyman on Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:16 am Reply with quote
2024-25 is still a fair ways off, people. Oda may actually do it.
Doomroar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote
If he rushes it like Shimabu did with Toriko, skipping a bunch of islands (we probably wont see Elbaf if he does it like this), and he kills a bunch of characters off panel, ignores a bunch of plot-lines, resolves other plot-lines off-panel, and uses talked exposition to tie in the missing ones, and then has the Strawhats jump to the last 2 islands, while he ignores at least one of the main villains (he would have to get Black Beard or the WG getting themselves handled by someone else, off-panel).

In that case, yeah i think he can end it in the next 4 years, assuming that Wano ends on this year, that would be a bit less than 200 chapters to close it all.

This would mean that once again a successful series on Jumps goes and gets itself a bad finale, and i don't see the point of it, why spend 2 decades on this then rush the ending?
NisaRF

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:27 am Reply with quote
Well, time to reread them again then. Although I still remember most of the stories....because OP is one manga that's not easy to forget, even if it's gonna end soon Smile
Dextres

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:39 am Reply with quote
@matt78

I agree with you on the current status of one piece manga.
Matches Malone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:34 pm Reply with quote
We've been hearing for awhile that One Piece was getting close to its ending, so this shouldn't be surprising. It's also worth mentioning that despite being the final arc, it could well run for 4-5 years, which is plenty of time to wrap things up. If there's anyone we shouldn't worry about when it comes to storytelling, it's Oda, as he's probably planned on this long before this announcement.
DrewH90

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Final arc? do they mean final saga because we have Elbaf, Laugh Tale and Final War arcs to get through before this is over so it cant be teh final arc.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this aint nothing new, it has been known for awhile that the manga is getting closer to the ending, as a matter of fact this has been constantly said by you guys for the last couple of years.

IT is more like we are reaching the final saga and even than i still say we got another 5 to 10 years before this over.
Matches Malone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:00 pm Reply with quote
DrewH90 wrote:
Final arc? do they mean final saga because we have Elbaf, Laugh Tale and Final War arcs to get through before this is over so it cant be teh final arc.

Unless there a translation error, it's entering the final arc, which will most likely include all of the above and whatever else that needs wrapping up. They could also be using arc for saga saga, meaning it'll be divided into separate parts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3