• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: After School Dice Club

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Ya know, when I first heard about this show I pegged it as another cute girls doing cute things show as well. It seemed like it might be fun or good when you need something more mellow. It didn't exactly jump to the top of my list though. Which in retrospect sort of surprises me as I love tabletop games. My gf and I have a good size collection of various board and card games we like to play with other, and friends. Hearing that this show actually puts some effort into the actual game aspect of the show, and makes it much more authentic, is encouraging. Bumped this up a bit on my plan to watch list.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Ya know, when I first heard about this show I pegged it as another cute girls doing cute things show as well. It seemed like it might be fun or good when you need something more mellow. It didn't exactly jump to the top of my list though. Which in retrospect sort of surprises me as I love tabletop games. My gf and I have a good size collection of various board and card games we like to play with other, and friends. Hearing that this show actually puts some effort into the actual game aspect of the show, and makes it much more authentic, is encouraging. Bumped this up a bit on my plan to watch list.

it's very nice to hear you talking about your own opinion like this.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:04 pm Reply with quote
My main problem with the show is how boring they made the games they played. It felt like they spent 80+% of the time explaining the rules, with barely any time for the actual playing, and the playing they did wasn't particularly interesting. Something like A Sister's All You Need dd the board game stuff much better. The rest of the show was mostly enjoyable - I especially liked the more Midori focused parts. Miki was an okay protagonist, but nothing special, and the drama with her in the final episode was pretty bad.
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:56 am Reply with quote
I'm glad someone reviewed the show. It was one of the ones I liked a lot from the 2019 Fall season.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:47 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the slice of life moments and little drama in this show, but I didn't care for the board games aspect. I can pretty much enjoy all shows about cute girls doing some random activity, but apparently not board games.

Dark Mac wrote:
I especially liked the more Midori focused parts.

Me too. She is the best thing about the show for me.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That was honestly a relief, since the Kansai dialect (which the Kyoto and Osaka dialects are both variations of) is usually localized as poorly-performed Southern accents.

I remember listening briefly to the dub of Noein, and the Kansai-speaking physicist sounded like she just stepped out of a tea social at the Birmingham chapter of the Daughters of the American Confederacy.

I thought the show was cute and was worth the time I spent watching it. I have played my share of board games over the years, though none like the ones that appear in this show.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:43 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Quote:
That was honestly a relief, since the Kansai dialect (which the Kyoto and Osaka dialects are both variations of) is usually localized as poorly-performed Southern accents.

I remember listening briefly to the dub of Noein, and the Kansai-speaking physicist sounded like she just stepped out of a tea social at the Birmingham chapter of the Daughters of the American Confederacy.

I always prefer to localization the accent rather than ignoring it all together, especially it's integral to the story . Here, I wouldn't say it's all that important but I'd hate to have it removed in something like Azumanga Daioh. If Osaka sounded the same as everyone else, it wouldn't just be wrong, I'd think it would be a crime against anime.

After School Dice Club was merely average at best. For a show that had a blue haired character as its lead, the show didn't seem to understand or care what that meant; Low key, reserved, soft spoken, yes but the show was supposed to be about games, right? Give her red hair, red eyes and then set her loose. Just sit back and watch the premise improve ten times over.

In other words, passive game playing is odd. If you can't put your heart into seeing who wins and loses, maybe you're better off with just reading a book? It's why the other characters were better and, yes, hard to believe but just changing her hair color would fix the character disparity.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
@ Animegomaniac So I was under the impression that one of the points of the show was to have Miki deal with her social anxiety through social board gaming. Like there are whole episodes dedicated as if it was one of themes of the show or something. If you get rid of that aspect and turn her into a generic shonen protagonist, you lose the entire premise of the show. Like almost all that's left is Midori's storyline, and a bunch of one shot board game plots. And while I really like Midori's game creation plotline, I much prefer Miki developing as a person and developing her friendships through out the story.

So yeah, in other words I love this show, my favorite character was Maki as she works really well as a foil for our main character. I started reading the manga recently, and I found that they cut a few games (like Catan and Werewolf) from the anime which made me a little sad as I don't think this will ever get a second season.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Were you being sarcastic or serious?
Seagloom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:08 pm Reply with quote
More or less agree with the review and Spike Terra on this show. Although I didn't enjoy watching them play every game presented, I appreciated how most of them were used as metaphors for character growth. Whether it was Miki growing as a person or Midori improving as a game designer. The resolution of Aya's subplot with her father was a bit irksome, though. It didn't seem like their issues were truly resolved despite the show trying to convince me that was the case.

Miki was the primary draw for me as I found her a little more relatable than Aya or Midori. I wouldn't have stuck with this show otherwise; because some of the episodes featured games that were really boring to watch. Also agree that Maki was a great foil to Miki; although I didn't like her as much as Spike Terra. She was definitely a better foil than American designer guy whose name I forgot and Emilia were to Midori, in any case.

On the whole I found this show legitimately cute since it didn't constantly try to present itself that way. I appreciated that its world was more grounded instead of a sweetness infused fantasy land.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I always prefer to localization the accent rather than ignoring it all together, especially it's integral to the story . Here, I wouldn't say it's all that important but I'd hate to have it removed in something like Azumanga Daioh. If Osaka sounded the same as everyone else, it wouldn't just be wrong, I'd think it would be a crime against anime.

First, since I almost never listen to dubs, I don't really care about this all that much. Still I thought the former ADV did a better job with the Kansai-ben -> US Southern accent in shows like AD or Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai than Manga did with Noein. Even the voices for the main characters like Haruka and Ai were pretty atrocious. It's like the staff never even listened to the Japanese track, since the dub actors pronounce "Haruka" as "Ha-ROO-ka".
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Were you being sarcastic or serious?

I am sorry I should have made it clearer. It is nice to see you let yourself have an opinion about anime and manga. It's nice to see you in a more approachable and less guarded position if that makes sense.
dragonslayer023

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The focus on female friendship is lovely, but having a few key male characters removes the hint of fetishism that lurks under the surface of many cute girl shows where men don't exist.

Ah yes thank goodness those male characters came and saved us from the height of fetishism that is women being able to exist without them.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I am sorry I should have made it clearer. It is nice to see you let yourself have an opinion about anime and manga. It's nice to see you in a more approachable and less guarded position if that makes sense.

That makes sense, and I appreciate the comment. For me personally as a mod I often have trouble finding time after doing mod duties, and my normal 9-5 life, to just post as a normal anime fan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1