• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Jump Teases One Piece Manga is Headed Toward 'Upcoming Final Arc'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kokushibou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:56 am Reply with quote
Just how many years will the arc take to end.
Matches Malone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:20 am Reply with quote
flame2frost wrote:

Based on what I've been reading on social media, arc is more than likely being used to mean saga, which is a collection of arcs. This makes sense, as I feel that going from Wano into the final story would be kind of abrupt, so it makes sense there'd be 2-3 arcs before the grand final.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Bunch of posts have been removed. If you have nothing to say besides "good i'm glad it's ending" then don't post. Those posts do nothing but stir the pot. Actually post thoughts on why you're not a fan of the manga. The insult posts also need to stop from several of you. Just report things, don't be as big of a problem yourself.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Let me just say that "Progressing towards the final arc" is an incredibly vague statement. It doesn't even necessarily mean that the current is almost over. In fact, it *could* apply to any part of the story up to the actual final arc: During the East Blue arc, the story was progressing towards the final arc. During the Skypedia Arc, the story was progressing... During the Alabasta Arc, and all of the other arcs.

Does it feel like the end isn't far off (in terms of the story as a whole)? Yep. Luffy is mixing it up with Emperors now. He has other captains that will jump at his call. He has most of what he needs to find the final island. So, yeah, the plot *is* pretty far along. But that still doesn't mean that it'll end "soon". I certainly don't think it'll be over in the next couple of years, but maybe within the next five.

I still trust Oda enough to think he won't truncate or stretch out things narratively, but will allow the natural flow of the story to dictate its pace. Until he shows me otherwise, I'll keep believing that and thus believing that One Piece will come to a dramatically appropriate ending.
MacrossLover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote
flame2frost wrote:

Maybe that will be almost as long as all the other arcs together. If not, maybe they will announce One Piece Z after. Smile
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:08 am Reply with quote
If this is true, sad to see it go. Even if you aren't a fan, One Piece has had an impact in the anime world in some way shape or form.

On the other hand, I have no idea if I believe it 100%.

I hope Oda is doing well. I hear Shonen Jump writers have been put through the wringer.
Matches Malone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:47 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I certainly don't think it'll be over in the next couple of years, but maybe within the next five.

Under normal circumstances, "soon" would mean a year or two, but One Piece isn't a normal manga, it's been going on for 20+ years. With something that long, "soon" means a lot longer than it would for your average story.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:57 am Reply with quote
Matches Malone wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I certainly don't think it'll be over in the next couple of years, but maybe within the next five.

Under normal circumstances, "soon" would mean a year or two, but One Piece isn't a normal manga, it's been going on for 20+ years. With something that long, "soon" means a lot longer than it would for your average story.

under any circumstance when someone says soon they mean they have no idea.

because if they did they could give an actual estimate.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
I made an account here to just post this somewhere and get it out there. So many English resources talking about this, but I tracked down the Japanese it is coming from the and the translation is incorrect. It basically says "In preparation for the final chapter that one day will come, reread now!"

That might still sound vague in English but the "toward" part is YOU working toward it by rereading, not the strip heading there, and the "will inevitably come" part is just boilerplate vague Japanese that does not state any specific point in time.

This uses きたるべき in the Japanese, which is quite hard to understand; I can see where the translation mistake has come from, but as a professional translator for 20 years, there's nothing to see here either way. Could be next arc, could be five more.

Now when there are 2+ more arcs loads of people are going to be coming back to this too, aren't they. Just wanted to try and let folks now - but I understand how hard it can be to combat bad translation, trust me.
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:06 am Reply with quote
#912247 wrote:
I made an account here to just post this somewhere and get it out there. So many English resources talking about this, but I tracked down the Japanese it is coming from the and the translation is incorrect. It basically says "In preparation for the final chapter that one day will come, reread now!"

That might still sound vague in English but the "toward" part is YOU working toward it by rereading, not the strip heading there, and the "will inevitably come" part is just boilerplate vague Japanese that does not state any specific point in time.

This uses きたるべき in the Japanese, which is quite hard to understand; I can see where the translation mistake has come from, but as a professional translator for 20 years, there's nothing to see here either way. Could be next arc, could be five more.

Now when there are 2+ more arcs loads of people are going to be coming back to this too, aren't they. Just wanted to try and let folks now - but I understand how hard it can be to combat bad translation, trust me.

In other words, "The manga's final arc will one day happen" got turned into "One piece entering it's final arc"

I'm not too sure this is a language barrier as much as it is someone not understanding the difference between approaching and entering.
Also, this is a compound word, and kuru and sataru are written the same, which probably caused confusion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3