• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SIE Outlines PS4 Controller, Peripheral Compatibility on PS5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-SP-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:02 am Reply with quote
Makes sense, the PS5 controller will have features that the PS4 controller doesn't, so it would make sense for the PS4 controller not to work with PS5 games.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:51 am Reply with quote
Beyond working with compatible PS4 games, I wouldn't have expected otherwise. The new controller has newer technology that Sony wants to promote as a reason to buy the system, and they've made it clear that they're approaching it differently than Microsoft. With both the PS3 and PS4, it didn't take very long for third-parties to decide that instead of developing their game to use things like motion control or the touch pad when only the Playstation version had those things, they would just make a standard control scheme and ignore that stuff. The only recent games I've played that use the swipe feature on the Dualshock 4 are published by Sony. It might eventually go that route, but I think Sony sees making dualshock 4 work with PS5 games as a reason for third-parties to make a baseline control scheme that doesn't use the new features since they might not want to make an Xbox version, a Dualshock 4 version, and a Dualsense version.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately I'm going to be more critical on it. This feels half-hearted, having the DS4 only for PS4 games. There is no reason other than money. Like each new incarnation brought something new to the table that could fundamentally change how to play a game on a Playstation. DS2's pressure sensitive face buttons. DS3's motion controls and analog triggers. DS4's touchpad. What does Dualsense have to add on to it? Haptic triggers with dynamic resistance, that's it, something that is reactive from the game than the player.

The mic is a different thing, it's only for voice chat, as far as I'm aware of, and that's just "eh". If developers can use it for gameplay purposes, then that would be something new that I would be on board for. It would be gloriously stupid, yes, like whistling into it to call your horse in RDR2 (as a made up example), or shouting "OBJECTION!" like in Ace Attorney on the 3/DS. But this would at least be something.

In some ways, I think it would have been better if the DS4 was not supported at all. Because this might also cause some confusion for some people. Reminded of an article where people complained about their DS1 not working on The Bouncer, one of the first PS2 games that required a DS2. Hopefully more people are informed about it now than before. (Tangentially, really surprised to find out that the DS1 and DS2 are backwards compatible on the PS3. Would not have expected it given its shift to wireless during that generation.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:47 am Reply with quote
Most games won't be utilizing the DualSense-only features anyway - or at least a necessary part of the game. Because most games are designed for multiple platforms - and that would break that multi-platform compatibility

But wanna hear something funny? Since next month's official launch of Project xCloud and it will have Series X games, and since Project xCloud supports DS4 controllers - there's officially more Series X games that will support DS4 controllers, than PS5 games that will support DS4 controllers Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1