• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sega Akihabara Building 2 Arcade to Close on August 30

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aodmisery

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:17 pm Reply with quote
As an American that went to Japan. I think Japanese arcades are what shocked me the most. You hear multiple story arcades and think wow. But Japanese arcades are nothing like American arcades. First of all the buildings are not wide they're long and narrow. There's usually 2 maybe 3 walking lanes. First floor is usually claw games. Then the other floors are is just usually multiples of the same 3 or 4 games. All in a row.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Arcades have been dying in Japan for a few years now. I think ANN had an article about it? Either way the virus clearly was too much. Real shame because arcades are magical
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see this, Japan was one of the last places where arcades were still popular. Worse yet the best games SEGA make are arcade titles.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Although more and more arcades are shutting down, there IS at least some lasting factor with places like Round1, especially since it's been getting a larger presence in the US (pre-COVID), as well. Lots of UFOs and a good amount of import arcades, so those will still be around in some form, but just maybe not under companies like SEGA, which haven't tried to expand their business in other locations.
Derpinat0rz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:28 pm Reply with quote
What about my FGO arcade NOOOOOOOOO!
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I mean, with 3 other buildings in Akiba, they're not gonna be dead just yet. I enjoyed going there myself, though I didn't visit all four.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:38 pm Reply with quote
If American arcades were like Japanese arcades, it would be a great place for everyone.

Whole floor of claw games and various photo booths.
Whole floor of musical or music related arcade games.
and several floors of various arcade games.

Even then, Japanese arcade machines are an event all by themselves.

I still remember that ship girl arcade game that had a ship's wheel to use, touch screen, buttons to push, and cards to play. All dressed in an artful fantastic cabinet.

Some of the even bigger arcades even have mechanical and digital horse racing. Not to mention those Gundam Pods.

Lets not forget, those two Madoka Magica Pachinko and Slot Machine buildings in Akihibara.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see, but not surprising as there are literally 2 more within eyeshot
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I wasn't surprised when I heard the news on the internet. Arcade game died in the US many years later when console game had hardware that can handle arcade ports hence why arcade gaming died in the US. I knew sooner or later it was going to die in Japan too. I mean we already have online multiplayer, and E-sports. We also have Arcade1Up cabinets (with licensed properties like Street Fighters, etc....) being bought by certain people in the US. Those can replace arcade gaming. That's probably the reason why arcade gaming would become extinct in the US and Japan.

RIP Arcade gaming Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I've had so many fun memories ging to Sega Akihabara.
It's so sad to see it go away. Crying or Very sad
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Arcades have been dying in Japan for a few years now. I think ANN had an article about it? Either way the virus clearly was too much. Real shame because arcades are magical

I have to agree. Sure you'll inevitably wind up soending far more money playing a game there than playing one you own at home. Whether it's the same game or not. There's just an experience you get from playing in the arcade though. It's more immersive I think. I know growing up here in the US part of the best thing about going to the movies was that many had arcades within them, or next to them. That was as much fun as going to the actual movie I was there to see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1