• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: How Do We Relationship? Volume 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading this in German, and the second volume just came out. I liked that one even more than the first because all the good things mentioned in this review are even more strongly present in it. Especially the part about how the relationship doesn't exist in a vacuum as the second volume does a fantastic job giving depth to a few side characters who have issues of their own. I'm absolutely charmed by this series and if it stays this good, it's going to be one of my biggest favourites.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unlike in many romance stories as well, their relationship doesn't exist in a vacuum. The two are surrounded by friends, and their presence affects their dynamic as well.

Maybe this sort of has a different meaning when the story is about a relationship rather than a pre-relationship, but that's pretty common in romance stories, isn't it? Most of the ones I can think of have secondary friend-characters, other love interests, etc.

This does sound like a good series, though, and even just the fact that the main characters are older than 15-17 is pretty unusual, especially for yuri (or one that gets an official translation, anyway).
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:07 pm Reply with quote
yeah,.the latest, yuri with older characters is pretty common.

Quote:
and their bandmates are all male.
maybe it's a volume 01 thing, besides the huge lovable jerk hat appears late, the sexually active female bandmate is one of the characters that works the best.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:41 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
yeah,.the latest, yuri with older characters is pretty common.

Well... just going by a search on Rightstuf, I wouldn't say so. Of the 24 on the first page, I'm seeing only 3 that aren't about high-school (or maybe middle school) girls; one is volume 2 of this series, one isn't out yet, and the third is about school teachers (probably not in a university, but it's not clear). This one advertises its set of adult yuri as "stories that are all too often overlooked." So I don't think I'm just imagining things here.

Partly it's just because the majority of all anime/manga takes place in high school, but still. The only high-profile exception I can think of is Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:33 am Reply with quote
I liked this one way more than I thought I would. Even though the characters are only first year university students, the two main characters still felt pretty mature, like they could be my age. But no office setting, which is a setting I don't care for, although I really like Still Sick! The band thing kinda reminds me of After Hours, with its DJ / club aspect, but I'm liking this one a little bit more. The art gives me a bit of a 90s feel, but different enough to be current. I bought this one digitally, but I'd consider it shelf-worthy.

IDK if it's unreasonable to complain, but I'm not so into the use of "queer" in this review. I know it's not the first review to do this, but since I was commenting anyway, I thought I'd say it. Just call it what is, lesbian, or same-sex (gender if you really have to) relationship. Just because it's become commonplace and some people identify with it now and want to "reclaim" it (even if it's never been used against them), doesn't erase the history of it being a slur.

kotomikun wrote:

Well... just going by a search on Rightstuf, I wouldn't say so. Of the 24 on the first page, I'm seeing only 3 that aren't about high-school (or maybe middle school) girls; one is volume 2 of this series, one isn't out yet, and the third is about school teachers (probably not in a university, but it's not clear). This one advertises its set of adult yuri as "stories that are all too often overlooked." So I don't think I'm just imagining things here.

Partly it's just because the majority of all anime/manga takes place in high school, but still. The only high-profile exception I can think of is Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.

Late reply, but Still Sick, Now Loading, After Hours, Whenever Our Eyes Meet anthology, Goodbye My Rose Garden, Kodama Naoko's "to make my parents shut up" or whatever one...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1