• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sawako Hata Narrates 5th Tenchi Muyo! OVA Season's Promo Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGZinv

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:00 pm Reply with quote
In case anyone doesn't realize, these "new" characters are from the Paradise War novel series. It was set in the future where Seina (GXP) is an older man and Zinv/Jinbu was housed on the island which is a Juraian tree a la Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure.

Basically it's yet more throw backs to Dual!, Zinv, Dee are from Dual directly, Miki Steinbeck is a bit more complicated as is her father returning.

Bottom line this is all book and doujin based material, for better or worse.

If you want to know more check out TenchiForum.
DishonorableKnight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:17 pm Reply with quote
JGZinv wrote:
In case anyone doesn't realize, these "new" characters are from the Paradise War novel series. It was set in the future where Seina (GXP) is an older man and Zinv/Jinbu was housed on the island which is a Juraian tree a la Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure.

Basically it's yet more throw backs to Dual!, Zinv, Dee are from Dual directly, Miki Steinbeck is a bit more complicated as is her father returning.

Bottom line this is all book and doujin based material, for better or worse.

If you want to know more check out TenchiForum.

Worse, obviously.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Is the promo image used by ANN from the latest two seasons? Is Sami eternally a child?

I really havnt followed anything tenchi except the original OVA's and Dual.
Dextres

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:54 am Reply with quote
I agree with Cryten above this post.

I really want to give this show a try; but with all the material I am missing out on, I really will fill out of place and without context of zero (insert *****) going on.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:41 am Reply with quote
I'm old enough to remember when Tenchi had conflict.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Is the promo image used by ANN from the latest two seasons? Is Sami eternally a child?

I really haven't followed anything tenchi except the original OVA's and Dual.

I don't know who made the image, but it is a bit inaccurate. Idealized I guess you could say (showing Sasami as the character you recognize). If you watch the promo you see her looking like a teenager, But the image is definitely from this season as it features Jovia (She's still a mystery- her first chronological appearance is in the most recent GXP novel- which takes a couple years before this OVA).

Doing a Google translate on the video's info explains the general plot off the episode. They're visiting because it is an ideal place to train Kenshi up a bit, "A playground off nature"- apparently showing how Kenshi gains his food foraging skills. And something about Tenchi coming to terms with his circumstances.

Part of me is wondering if this series might not only show the training of Kenshi and how they send him over but maybe even his return? Geminar runs at an extremely accelerated time rate (I think an alternate Earth so far in the future that the continental drift has changed the look of the planet) so they could bring him back a week later and he will have spent years there. I just did a rewatch of Geminar and the dialogue at the end (Washu and Rea? or maybe Tokimi?) suggests they are monitoring everything and can retrieve him whenever they want.

This also shows something that the last didn't, an appearance from Seina / Minamida. I thought his absence was odd since all of the "Cabbit girls" are shown. He needs at least one of them to use Kamidake. So it was unlikely that he's be gone without them.

I wonder if the absence of Yosho/ Katsuhito will be explained. A small little bit in a GXP novel shows that his relationship with Airi is improved- maybe he's spending time with her? He has apparently lived with her at the Academy previously
He's supposed to be training Kenshi with the sword eventually.
...I guess they might even be attempting another thing that would be somewhat natural- the "death" of Katsuhito. How long has he been him? Maybe it's time for him to die and come back as someone younger?

...I really should join that Useless Tenchi forum to talk about this stuff.

Dextres wrote:
I agree with Cryten above this post.

I really want to give this show a try; but with all the material I am missing out on, I really will fill out of place and without context of zero (insert *****) going on.

The thing is, you may not know many of the side characters, but at its core this OVA is a story about the core cast training Kenshi and the rest is fanservice for novel readers. There is universal world building, but it is minor. to this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I stop caring about Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki when the Counter-Actor pop up and confuse me to no end. I did enjoy the original OVA, but the new ones just confuse me and add way to much characters
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1