• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NHK: act-age Manga Creator Tatsuya Matsuki Arrested on Suspicion of Committing Indecent Act wi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Amazed he didn't give "I'm drunk so I don't remember" or "I'm just doing hands-on research for work" excuse
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:36 pm Reply with quote
#810704 wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
This is the third time something like this has happened with a Shonen Jump writer. This is not okay

Yeah I was just saying, an incident like this happening once? Not ok, but you can give them the benefit of the doubt and say that one person is an outliner. THREE people though? Nah, WSJ’s management is sketchy as hell

Wasn't Kenshin arrested in 2017? 2018? Either way, THREE people in less than 3 years is worrisome. If this happens again then I am going to be careful reading jump manga...
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:16 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
I keep seeing people suggest this, but that's not how manga works. Shonen Jump isn't like Marvel and DC, where the company owns everything about Spiderman and Batman and the writers are just hired hands. In Japan, the original creators retain their rights, and spinoffs and continuations are only possible with their approval (or, if they die, the approval of their heirs). Even if Jump wanted to go forward, they'd need the author to consent to it, and probably even consent to every single chapter as they get written.

Exactly. If Matsuki is done then the series is too. There is no replacing a writer for a manga. The only thing I'm not 100% sure on is how collaborated series are handled. I'm not sure how much stake, if any, the artist owns or if they're essentially hired help and replaceable. But either way, even if it's 50/50, without Matsuki's half the series won't be continuing as he owns that.

What I will say is that this is entirely situation-dependent. If it is a collaborative work, for example, the likely situation is that the 2nd party holds equal rights to the overall IP. This would remain a complicated matter, however, as there is no easy way for those joint rights to be severed, so even in the 2nd party wanted to continue, and potentially could, they would need to get the 1st party to agree to that continuation. In this case that would mean hiring a writer. That writer would likely then look to gain their own set of rights, potentially being added as a 3rd joint rights holder... as I said, it gets messy.

Another common example would be where the party sold their rights. It's not uncommon for a writer to sell some or all of the rights to their work to a publisher in exchange for getting that work published. It's a much easier way to get on the map with your first work where you're an unknown without a lot of clout. This might be less common in the manga industry, but it's still easily possible.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:53 pm Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:

Wasn't Kenshin arrested in 2017? 2018? Either way, THREE people in less than 3 years is worrisome. If this happens again then I am going to be careful reading jump manga...

Just for accuracy's sake, Shimabukuro (the Toriko author)'s arrest happened in 2002. It's still not great, and the way Shueisha handled both previous incidents by trying their damndest to pretend they didn't happen is still awful, but it's not quite as frequent as once a year.
Botanica

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:27 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
El Hermano wrote:
If Matsuki is done then the series is too. There is no replacing a writer for a manga. The only thing I'm not 100% sure on is how collaborated series are handled. I'm not sure how much stake, if any, the artist owns or if they're essentially hired help and replaceable. But either way, even if it's 50/50, without Matsuki's half the series won't be continuing as he owns that.
For people who are worried, Ajin says "hi." Not sure on the specifics, but the writer walked out on the series after the first volume and the rest (13 volumes and counting) has been handled by the artist alone. The anime adaptation came after all that happened, and adapts material well beyond the first volume.

That still would depend on who holds the rights to the series and whether the artist can write a story too. Some artists only or mostly draw the manga for writers in their career because they don't have the writing skills needed, although I sincerely wish that Usazaki has the ability to write stories herself so she can advance as an independent mangaka. She's still 22 years old anyway.

(Besides, Miura was only working for chapter 0 and the first 5 chapters of Ajin before giving it all to Sakurai - it was still pretty much in the early stage. Sakurai has said that he had met Miura only once, and that's after Miura dropped writing for the series. Before that Sakurai was only asked to make the storyboard and draw the manga. Miura never told Sakurai why he left, and when they met he just apologised for leaving and that was all. After that, Sakurai has proven that he himself is one hell of a writer.)
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:26 am Reply with quote
I dunno if it's been said here yet (I dare not read the pedo apologism in the comments) but apparently Act Age has officially ended:

https://twitter.com/ActAgeManga/status/1292733867477086208
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it seems like they're still supporting Usazaki, so hopefully she has a long career ahead of her because she's a great artist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5