• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shueisha Cancels Publication of act-age Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:50 am Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:
Ushio wrote:

Your exaggerating how popular Act-Age was.

Last 10 ranked chapters

13th out of 18
8th out of 15
3rd out of 15 (One Piece and Dr Stone not ranked)
11th out of 14
13th out of 15
15th out of 17
13th out of 17
11th out of 16
14th out of 17
8th out of 15

Rankings don't measure actual popularity. They are entirely up to the head editor. Tankobon sales are what's important, and Act-Age was doing well.

In realty, weekly rankings are probably the most important thing when talking about weakly shonen manga magazines. There are few slots in the magazine so the authors that rank in the last third of the rankings have the axe over their heads on a weekly base.

They live and die by the raking. The time the preliminary results of the weekly rankings come out is the time most anticipated and also most feared for authors and their editors.

Many times they change the direction of the story, end a less popular arc, introduce a new character or introduce more fan-service because of bad rankings. Weeks of work can be lost because of a bad ranking.

If you are on the shoes of a big weekly magazine chief editor and you have to choose what series you are going to end to free a slot for a new upcoming talent or a famous artist new work, the first thing you do will be looking at the rankings in the last few months,

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:18 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna' miss this series; I'd hoped they'd be able to have some other writer take over the series, but I suppose it's not to be. Best of luck to the artist, and I hope those middle schoolers get some therapy.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:35 am Reply with quote
What a god damn shame...

Act-Age was such a unique series and I hope somewhere in the future they can bring back the series with a new writer but I guess this is the end of one the best mangas to come in Jump in a long time...
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:52 am Reply with quote
Shiro Usazaki needs to work on action poses, and get ready to start drawing for Togashi! Make it monthly, too, for all the hassle.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I felt devastated reading this piece of news and I don't even read this series. I guess some part of me wanted try this series out but I guess that's never going to happen now.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote
As expected. I have no idea how some people thought he could get away with it. I see people mentioning Watsuki but their situations are completely different. Matsuki's crime is much worse so there was no chance he'd get away with it and I highly doubt he'll be able to come back. Also I see people mentioning Shimabu, but as far as I've heard it was proven that he was unaware of the girls age. Which is no surprise since underage girls pretending to be older in that kind of work isn't uncommon over there.

It's sad to see the series go but it needed to be done. There was no way that it was gonna continue without him so I can't say I'm surprised to see this. I feel really bad for Shiro Usazaki and I hope Shueisha will be able to find a good writer for her in the future, because man is she talented.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:08 pm Reply with quote
The thread has been cleaned up with a bunch of trollish and far off topic posts, and responses to them, removed. Any sort of victim blaming post or comments that try to excuse this sort of conduct will be removed immediately. As will the users. As for the topic at hand let's keep the discussion on other authors and series to a minimum. Yes, there are correlations between them so it is not entirely off topic. Having the discussion turn into a debate on which author did the worse deed, or which series should or should not have been cancelled, however is off topic. It's also in poor taste.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad that I never got into this series. I hope the artist comes out of this with a untarnished reputation!
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:56 pm Reply with quote
This is unbelievably sad. I never got a chance to read the series but I feel sorry for the fans and the staff involved with this series about to lose their jobs. People get a little bit of fame and success and suddenly think they're above the law and allowed to do whatever tf they want without consequences. Zero sympathy for pedophiles.

Kisuke525 wrote:
As expected. I have no idea how some people thought he could get away with it. I see people mentioning Watsuki but their situations are completely different. Matsuki's crime is much worse so there was no chance he'd get away with it and I highly doubt he'll be able to come back.

To my knowledge isn't the Kenshin sequel still running in Japan? I know Viz gave it the ax but WSJ seemed to give Watsuki some leniency
DQBunny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:04 pm Reply with quote
SailorNaruto wrote:

To my knowledge isn't the Kenshin sequel still running in Japan? I know Viz gave it the ax but WSJ seemed to give Watsuki some leniency

It is. Likewise sales of individual volumes are still strong according to the last time I checked the numbers.

But, as mentioned above, things with Watsuki were different. It involved materials which had actually been legal not that long before, if I remember correctly. Plus, he also issued a genuine apology, accepted the sentence that was given and paid it. He didn’t go out and physically assault someone.

The Hokkaido Arc only had three chapters up at that point. It could have easily been pulled.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
SailorNaruto wrote:

Kenshin: Hokkaido Arc isn't in Weekly Shonen Jump, though. It's in Jump Square, which doesn't have anywhere near the same name value, cachet, or readership as the main magazine itself; this gave Shueisha the perfect excuse to bring it back without as much backlash. The previous two examples of this kind of controvery (with Shimabukuro in 2002 & now Matsuki) happened with the main magazine, which is pretty much a "mainstream" magazine in Japan, so there's no other option other than to cancel, which is what happened with both Takeshi! & Act-Age.

Shimabukuro was later allowed to make a (rushed) finale for Takeshi! in 2005, but only through the seinen magazine Super Jump, which had a much smaller reader base than Weekly Shonen Jump (& was aimed at adults). Meanwhile, Act-Age was a two-person work, so I highly doubt it'll ever be given a "proper" ending, since I doubt Shiro Usazaki will ever want to have anything to do with Matsuki again.
MacrossLover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:03 pm Reply with quote
It's sad for the people who enjoy the series, but that's things that happens, sadly. WSJ decided to stop to work with that author and that's their decision.

For Itazura na Kiss, it was canceled because Kaoru Tada died. For other manga/novels like Twelve Kingdom, it's because the author stop to write when she married.

Manga are created by people. So it can always end before the story ending, for a reason or another. Sometime the author is responsable like in that case, sometime not. Fool author, mariage, hiatus or even earthquaqe or a crazy man who put a fire in a building...
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I’m glad WSJ is taking this seriously.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I didn't follow this series, but from what I'm reading, it was very unique from the standard Shonen Jump mold, so this is actually a major loss; not only did Jump lose a potential new hit, a young artist lost her chance at the big time.

I understand why it had to be done and I appreciate the swift action, but it doesn't make the events any less devastating. Best of luck to the artist and I hope she gets picked up again soon.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I thought this case was a false accusation at first, simply due to the fact that it would be physically impossible for me to molest someone (or do much of anything else, really) while riding a bike without faceplanting and probably shattering my skull in the process. The guy confessed, so he obviously did it, but I'm still not sure how.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4