• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Fairy Tail

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fairy Tail is a perfect example of what shonen-adapted JRPGs should look like, and I hope that with Fairy Tail, GUST has cemented itself as a capable studio for making games of this breed. I look forward to seeing more from them in the future.
I'd be kind of sad if GUST became a licensed media factory, just because they have some of the most creative JRPG ideas out there (even if the execution can sometimes be a bit... uh...)
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I heard the game is too easy, that, unfortunately, it's a huge "No" from me if true.

I don't get why these games can't have a difficulty slider.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Quite an interesting take given other reviews have problems with its story telling, combat mechanics and tedious non main content.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Sucks that this game doesn't have an English Dub. If were lucky, maybe they can add one in via a patch at a later date much like My Hero One's Justice 2. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen, it is wishful thinking.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Great to see a positive review for this title. Only negative I can say so far is the usual excessive DLC, though it's primarily just costumes.

Quote:
– even during combat.
That's nice to see considering it's so often left out. Project x Zone is the only one that comes to mind in fact...
Vizo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:14 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the review! I'm a fan of the series and was curious about it, but now I am definitely getting it. Cool
immblueversion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:53 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I heard the game is too easy, that, unfortunately, it's a huge "No" from me if true.

There is a difficulty slider. You can switch from easy, normal, and hard at any time, which determines how long it takes before your enemy goes down. And even then, it's only easier if you upgrade your guild as much as you can, as early as you can. Neglect the guild, and you will be overwhelmed on anything but easy mode if you don't know what you're doing, even with healers on your team.

cyberdraco wrote:
Sucks that this game doesn't have an English Dub. If were lucky, maybe they can add one in via a patch at a later date much like My Hero One's Justice 2. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen, it is wishful thinking.

Who knows, maybe the abysmally high DLC prices will fund for that. Koei doesn't find dubs worth spending the extra money, from what I hear.
Piexouar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:59 am Reply with quote
Vizo wrote:
Thanks for the review! I'm a fan of the series and was curious about it, but now I am definitely getting it. Cool

Buying a game based off of one review isn't the best idea. I would check out other impressions/reviews as they seem to be not as positive. Maybe a thing or two could be a gamebreaker to you.

Last edited by Piexouar on Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:59 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

There is a difficulty slider. You can switch from easy, normal, and hard at any time, which determines how long it takes before your enemy goes down. And even then, it's only easier if you upgrade your guild as much as you can, as early as you can. Neglect the guild, and you will be overwhelmed on anything but easy mode if you don't know what you're doing, even with healers on your team.

cyberdraco wrote:

Who knows, maybe the abysmally high DLC prices will fund for that. Koei doesn't find dubs worth spending the extra money, from what I hear.

Interesting, I will check it out then, thanks.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:

I heard this Fairy Tail game sold poor, not sure if thats true. I don't know if the crazy DLC will be that helpful, just seems desperate. $347 for costumes. lol

My Hero One's Justice 2 was different since its fighting game, it doesn't have a ton of dialog like a RPG. I probably would buy this Fairy Tail game if it did have a dub but its understandable why it doesn't and I don't think its really a loss as the game doesn't seem that great anyway.
Vizo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Piexouar wrote:
Vizo wrote:

Buying a game based off of one review isn't the best idea. I would check out other impressions/reviews as they seem to be not as positive. Maybe a thing or two could be a gamebreaker to you.
Good point. I appreciate your advice.
I'm fairly picky with which games I decide to buy. The best games are able to sell me with their trailers and demos, but I occassionally rely on reviews for games I'm on the fence with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1