• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Meet the Creative Minds Behind Saturday AM Comics

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:03 am Reply with quote
On one hand, the videos are private...

On the other hand, what a coincidence, I just talked about them today in the Noblesse thread wondering if Crunchyroll could consider adaptating some of their stories in the future.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:46 am Reply with quote
This is just too funny, I can not rememberer the last time I laughed this much. First you've got the characters, that all look like fan art of Anime character off of Deviantart. Then the slogan "The World's MOST DIVERSE Manga-Style Comics", where most diverse is in all caps so you don't miss it. And then the stories that sound like they were devised by a boardroom of market analysts who really wanted to finish for the day.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:01 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
This is just too funny, I can not rememberer the last time I laughed this much. First you've got the characters, that all look like fan art of Anime character off of Deviantart. Then the slogan "The World's MOST DIVERSE Manga-Style Comics", where most diverse is in all caps so you don't miss it. And then the stories that sound like they were devised by a boardroom of market analysts who really wanted to finish for the day.

Hey now, man, no need to throw shade at a concept like this.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

We've got videos up with all the creators and I think they probably care about their stories whether you think they're "woke" pandering or not. Also small tip: laughing at other people's positive efforts just makes you look mean.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I went to the linked website and purchased a few past issues of the magazine (only 99 cents per issue so definitely not much risk to sample one or two), so this article definitely did its job. Cool

As someone who has lived in Japan and mainland China for his entire childhood and half teenage days, it's fair to say manga is a major component of my entertainment life. Personally, it definitely feels different to read western comics that are under manga influences (art styles not much actually, but the approach to story telling and characterization definitely feels different), but at the moment I honestly can't tell if that's a good or bad thing
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I went to the linked website and purchased a few past issues of the magazine (only 99 cents per issue so definitely not much risk to sample one or two), so this article definitely did its job. Cool

As someone who has lived in Japan and mainland China for his entire childhood and half teenage days, it's fair to say manga is a major component of my entertainment life. Personally, it definitely feels different to read western comics that are under manga influences (art styles not much actually, but the approach to story telling and characterization definitely feels different), but at the moment I honestly can't tell if that's a good or bad thing

From what you said, would you like to see some of the Saturday AM comics adapted to Anime with streaming services like Netflix, Crunchyroll or even FUNimation?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

From what you said, would you like to see some of the Saturday AM comics adapted to Anime with streaming services like Netflix, Crunchyroll or even FUNimation?

If they put out quality animation with good writing, doesn't matter to me if it is animation or anime. But being associated with Netflix, Crunchyroll, and FUNimation as one of their "Originals" (or primary funder) is a more dicey proposition.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:31 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

If they put out quality animation with good writing, doesn't matter to me if it is animation or anime. But being associated with Netflix, Crunchyroll, and FUNimation as one of their "Originals" (or primary funder) is a more dicey proposition.

Well, as long as they can find animation studios willing to work on non-Japanese properties, then it could be fine. MAPPA and Trigger are those who are more eager to do that so far, and they certainly have quality in some degrees.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Well, as long as they can find animation studios willing to work on non-Japanese properties, then it could be fine. MAPPA and Trigger are those who are more eager to do that so far, and they certainly have quality in some degrees.
Animation is rarely always outsourced to Korea these days, but maybe a large company like TMS would have the work outsourced to them, they've done work on a number of American shows before like Batman the Animated series, Animaniacs, Spider-Man: The Animated Series, DuckTales etc. trigger maybe willing to do an op or work on a few episodes though.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rednimue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Frankly speaking I don't see why these kind of comics should be animate by japanese studio, there are plenty of other studios around the world willing to animate them and doing a good job at the same time. Confused
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Rednimue wrote:
Frankly speaking I don't see why these kind of comics should be animate by japanese studio, there are plenty of other studios around the world willing to animate them and doing a good job at the same time. Confused

Are there, though? I haven't read any of these series, but comic books in general are niche and not very mainstream friendly to begin with. If Marvel comics can't get good proper, animated adaptions, then I don't see what hope an indie comic would have. A Japanese studio taking interest and wanting to do justice to the source material would be the only way to get a proper adaption. America usually goes for the live-action approach to books and comics and altering them to be more mainstream focused, like that old Scott Pilgrim movie which was both unfaithful and a box office bust when an animated adaption would have made far more sense from a fan perspective.

Of course, there's also people who just want their stuff animated by Japanese studios so it can be called anime and wear it as a badge of honor, but I'm focusing on the more productive reasons.

Last edited by AmpersandsUnited on Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Rednimue wrote:

Are there, though? I haven't read any of these series, but comic books in general are niche and not very mainstream friendly to begin with. If Marvel comics can't get good proper, animated adaptions, then I don't see what hope an indie comic would have. A Japanese studio taking interest and wanting to do justice to the source material would be the only way to get a proper adaption. America usually goes for the live-action approach to books and comics and altering them to be more mainstream focused.

Of course, there's also people who just want their stuff animated by Japanese studios so it can be called anime and wear it as a badge of honor, but I'm focusing on the more productive reasons.

I mean, they’re mainly online OEL mangas in a technical sense, and you could say Webtoons are mostly niche but have 3 of their most notable works being adapted so far. So I wouldn’t discount the possibilities for Saturday AM too.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Tip for everyone, if you don't like the ideas these creators are putting out that is fine. Nobody simply has to like something, and we're all entitled to like different things. However, if all you can do is laugh and piss on people trying to do something creative then I suggest you not comment and just move on. Being shitty like that is simply rude and little more than trolling. Which btw we don't allow here.
wing-zero-strike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:40 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

As someone who hates the whole "woke" culture, I can kind of see where you're coming from, but honestly, I think there's some genuinely good art and story there from the looks of it.

I think it's worth at least giving it a try first, and commenting some constructive criticism once you have, rather than dismissing it outright as some threatening person who cares about social justice mandate.

I think the goal of aiming "to make everyone feel like they can be a hero" is a great one, and I think we can all lose sight of how important it is to have heroes and stories that you can relate to.

I totally understand the knee-jerk reaction against something that tries to push "diversity" as some sort of checklist to fulfill at the expense of all else, but I just don't see that here. I see, mostly, creators who are trying to adapt something they love (anime and manga culture) into something that will appeal to both the broader manga reader community, as well as people who may have felt a bit left out.

If nothing else, the beauty of an initiative like this in a capitalist marketplace, is that if they are finding diverse creators who are talented and creating good art and stories, then it will succeed, and if it turns out they don't care about quality so much as checking boxes, it will fail.

I checked out a couple issues, and I really liked it for the most part. The artwork and writing definitely differs depending on the series and creators - some were genuinely great, others a bit rough. To be fair, I read a chapter of "Clock Striker", and while I love the artwork and concept, it did have some pandering moments in it. But that certainly wasn't across the board.

Honestly, I'll probably subscribe or at least buy a few issues. Much like my "Shonen Jump" reading days, I don't expect everything in it to be a winner, but it's kinda fun having something different to read now and then.

And unlike the social justice "woke" social media bullying that I'm against, this is just seems like a bunch of hard working people putting out something they're passionate about and hoping it speaks to a wide audience. We can all freely choose to support or not support it. Seems pretty great to me.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:44 am Reply with quote
wing-zero-strike wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

As someone who hates the whole "woke" culture, I can kind of see where you're coming from, but honestly, I think there's some genuinely good art and story there from the looks of it.

I think it's worth at least giving it a try first, and commenting some constructive criticism once you have, rather than dismissing it outright as some threatening person who cares about social justice mandate.

I think the goal of aiming "to make everyone feel like they can be a hero" is a great one, and I think we can all lose sight of how important it is to have heroes and stories that you can relate to.

I totally understand the knee-jerk reaction against something that tries to push "diversity" as some sort of checklist to fulfill at the expense of all else, but I just don't see that here. I see, mostly, creators who are trying to adapt something they love (anime and manga culture) into something that will appeal to both the broader manga reader community, as well as people who may have felt a bit left out.

If nothing else, the beauty of an initiative like this in a capitalist marketplace, is that if they are finding diverse creators who are talented and creating good art and stories, then it will succeed, and if it turns out they don't care about quality so much as checking boxes, it will fail.

I checked out a couple issues, and I really liked it for the most part. The artwork and writing definitely differs depending on the series and creators - some were genuinely great, others a bit rough. To be fair, I read a chapter of "Clock Striker", and while I love the artwork and concept, it did have some pandering moments in it. But that certainly wasn't across the board.

Honestly, I'll probably subscribe or at least buy a few issues. Much like my "Shonen Jump" reading days, I don't expect everything in it to be a winner, but it's kinda fun having something different to read now and then.

And unlike the person who cares about social justice social media bullying that I'm against, this is just seems like a bunch of hard working people putting out something they're passionate about and hoping it speaks to a wide audience. We can all freely choose to support or not support it. Seems pretty great to me.

That's exactly why I'm supporting this. It helps that it was founded by a black man who is one of the demographics that has a big interest in Anime yet are mostly underrepresented, so this is a good chance for them to shine.

BTW, sorry if I asked this before, but if they get adaptations in the future, would work best in TV channels or streaming services?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2