• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Who Keeps Giving Yamakan Money?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't think "being hostile to the industry" is a bad thing at all on its own. The problem with Yamakan is that he by and large is the worst parts of the industry, despite his complaints. And so hence this completely paint-by-numbers work, apparently.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:07 pm Reply with quote
If there's ever a Kickstarter for a "Lucky Channel"-type anime of Akira Kogami reading aloud from Yamakan's Twitter account, I'll chip in.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:10 pm Reply with quote
This was the first time I had ever actually seen anything from Yamakan (well aside from the few headlines he's made) and for someone who I more or less understood to be a pretentious poop head I was pretty let down by how boring this was, those 45 minutes felt like an eternity.
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:18 pm Reply with quote
FYI he has always been sort of boring always.
EnableNoClip

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:27 pm Reply with quote
The most interesting thing any of Yamakan's actual works did was combine three distinctive, clashing voices (his own, Mari Okada, and Hiroki Azuma) for Fractale

He really wants to prove himself to be a subversive iconoclast within this industry but every time he makes something, it ends up feeling really safe and unremarkable. It's almost funny. Almost.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I always feel sad seeing yamakan, because I really did like Fractale, and it was partially thanks to him the Senyuu anime got made Sad
but he's such a malicious loser that I can't support him anymore.

a shame this movie is app so boring because visually it looks nice
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:24 pm Reply with quote
You didn't even mention the fact that a huge chunk of his crowdfunding came from China where he still had fans, then for some reason Yamakan decided to go on a twitter pissing match with Chinese anime fans about China-Japan historical relations. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

The Chinese community blacklisted him.
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:32 pm Reply with quote
So, my takeaway is that the only thing he's ever made that was legitimately good was Senyuu? And the source material for that was literally a storyboard. (He still found a way to throw in jabs at his colleagues, though...)
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:06 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I always feel sad seeing yamakan, because I really did like Fractale, and it was partially thanks to him the Senyuu anime got made Sad

That is actually impressive given the fact that he went into it without the ending being written and then pulling an ending so HORRENDOUS that you could teach a college class on what went wrong with fractale.

I really wanted to like the entire series but between him and Yasuomi Umetsu you could really learn alot of what NOT TO DO as a director.....and then also how not to act on front of the public.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
That is actually impressive given the fact that he went into it without the ending being written and then pulling an ending so HORRENDOUS that you could teach a college class on what went wrong with fractale.

tbh I don't particularly remember how it ended, though I do remember the big mood shift partway through the series and something about Nessa disappearing. And that it turned super sci-fi partway through.
But the first part of the series was really charming (I loved Enri and her goons), and the music was really nice, so regardless of how it ended I still have fond memories of it.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:35 pm Reply with quote
How in the world did he get Sora Amamiya, Ayane Sakura, and Sumi Shimamoto in this? It's amazing at how much this guy has insisted on stepping onto rakes over and over again.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Eigengrau wrote:
If there's ever a Kickstarter for a "Lucky Channel"-type anime of Akira Kogami reading aloud from Yamakan's Twitter account, I'll chip in.
that's a great idea lol
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:45 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
So, my takeaway is that the only thing he's ever made that was legitimately good was Senyuu? And the source material for that was literally a storyboard. (He still found a way to throw in jabs at his colleagues, though...)

Kannagi was by far the best thing that he directed/scripted/storyboarded.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:30 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
How in the world did he get Sora Amamiya, Ayane Sakura, and Sumi Shimamoto in this? It's amazing at how much this guy has insisted on stepping onto rakes over and over again.

Wow, seriously? I would've thought with this he could've only afforded rookies or amateur seiyuu.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:13 pm Reply with quote
The whole "teenagers angsting about wasting their youth" trope is so common in anime, and seems like such an obvious pitfall of adults writing children, that it makes me wonder if maybe Japanese kids actually do that. Like, that's not a Yamakan thing, it's a literally-every-teen-drama-anime thing. The whole society does have a high degree of obsession with youth, so...

Anyway the answer to the question in the title is that corruption and grift exist in every industry, especially entertainment ones. Once you have enough status, you can do practically everything wrong and still get leadership opportunities thrown your way. Just look at Shyamalan. Any random anime fan would likely make a better writer/director, but the industry prefers the devil it knows, apparently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2