• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Piracy Anime, Manga Sites KissAnime, KissManga Shut Down

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:07 am Reply with quote
This was the fault of the owners of KA/KM themselves for having their stuff on google (thats as specific as I'll be) then google got the DMCA notice and nuked everything. This is unrelated to Japan's new laws which is.... Japan only.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:25 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
This was the fault of the owners of KA/KM themselves for having their stuff on google (thats as specific as I'll be) then google got the DMCA notice and nuked everything. This is unrelated to Japan's new laws which is.... Japan only.

Really?
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:26 am Reply with quote
Eh. If you're gonna pirate then you should at least not use those seedy sites.
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:34 am Reply with quote
While I don’t like that people pirate anime I’ve always said if you’re going to pirate don’t use kiss anime use some other site so in the end good riddance.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:49 am Reply with quote
I used to go there a few times a couple of years ago and let me tell you a lot of people there are effing cancerous especially in more mainstream anime.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:50 am Reply with quote
Dragon_Kaiser wrote:
While I don’t like that people pirate anime I’ve always said if you’re going to pirate don’t use kiss anime use some other site so in the end good riddance.

Way back when I used to pirate alot (6 or 7 years ago) kissanime was actually a decent piracy site but at some point in time I'm pretty sure it changed hands because things started going wierd a few years ago. I used to only go to it on occasion if there was nowhere else to go to legally watch a show (not sure now but looking at you a few years ago Monster) which makes it suck if theres a show from 20 years ago you want to what h but theres no legal streaming option.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:59 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Eh. If you're gonna pirate then you should at least not use those seedy sites.

Specially when there's a deluge of a different kind of seedy sites! Their effect is almost magnetic.

Lord Vaultman wrote:
I used to only go to it on occasion if there was nowhere else to go to legally watch a show (not sure now but looking at you a few years ago Monster) which makes it suck if theres a show from 20 years ago you want to what h but theres no legal streaming option.

Back in my time if we wanted to watch anything we had to download it. And we liked it that way!

Last edited by Yuvelir on Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:59 am Reply with quote
Good riddance. Sites like these are just awful, they're full of malware, ransomware, block adblockers, and worst of all, the people running these sites profit off of them. There was an article around 4 years that estimated about how much money they made.
https://web.archive.org/web/20180915034211/http://goboiano.com/much-money-cost-anime-industry-illegally-stream/

I advise people to watch via legal means when possible. There's Blu-rays, DVDs, legal streams (here's a list of sites and a search engine (last updated in May)), legal digital downloads, etc. We're not in the days of $30-$35 VHS tapes with one audio track with only 2 episodes, or $30 MSRP single DVDs with 3-5 episodes as the main legal way to watch stuff anymore. Now, if something is not legally available in your region, torrenting is the only acceptable method as nobody is profiting off those, and the quality is higher than these illegal streams, and you also can pick what you're getting, from subs to TV vs. BD version. Illegal sites for shows that were simulcasts just put the simulcast rips up which are the TV version and called it a day. You also don't have to worry about illegal streams rightfully getting pulled for copyright infringement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:16 am Reply with quote
Does the new copyright law have a hand in this one? I don't really see how the newly enacted copyright law has anything to do with the pirate site shutting down when it is already illegal in Japan to operate pirate sites before the new law.
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:24 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Does the new copyright law have a hand in this one? I don't really see how the newly enacted copyright law has anything to do with the pirate site shutting down when it is already illegal in Japan to operate pirate sites before the new law.

To me Sounds like Fear mongering to get people to avoid the illegal Sites Or click-baits to Earn views

I read some of it and nothing that expands outside to the west but i could be wrong
Seems like the law only reaches out to Japan

Last edited by Hikifroggy on Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:31 am Reply with quote
It's a shame I watched many a obscure movie/OVA/Series on Kissanime that isn't legally viewable. Thankfully a quick search I found at least 17 decent replacements/backups (one an exact duplicate) with less ads. Doubt this has anything to do with a new law for Japan. Kissanime that got to well known and put themselves on the radar.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:35 am Reply with quote
Now, how will they approach in purging torrenting?
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:37 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Funimation tried that by trying to take 197 "currently unknown users" to court in one giant case. We know how that went.
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:43 am Reply with quote
I haven't used one of these kinds of sites for nearly a decade, since everything gets legally streamed these days. They really need to go harder to take down these sites because theres really no reason for people to be dealing with these sketchy sites full of malware and other dangers when you can easily just pop up Crunchyroll or Funi on your smart tv these days.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:44 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Its futile. Illegal streaming aggregation sites have much more traffic than torrent sites. When K***anime trended on Twitter yesterday, a lot of them don't seem to know that they can torrent anime instead of going to those shady sites and also a lot of them cannot seem to distinguish pirate sites from legit (i.e. I've seen a tweet stating that Animelab is one of the alternatives to K***anime in addition to several shady sites). Not sure if data supports my claim though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9