• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Piracy Anime, Manga Sites KissAnime, KissManga Shut Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:39 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Also To all of you mentioning torrents. They really arent a very good option for everyone and you need to quickly realize that and while may not be as dangerous as kissanime became it also carries it's own risks. May eventually have to search out another site eventually. There were some shows I had on a watchlist that weren't available anywhere to watch.

I began torrenting shows in the mid 2000's before the days of legal streaming. I still torrent the occasional obscure show like the 2000 Madhouse adaptation of Tezuka's Hidamari no Ki. I also torrent some Netflix exclusives like Violet Evergarden or Carole & Tuesday because I'm a Netflix subscriber but have no interest in waiting for them to bundle up episodes. Otherwise I watch everything on legal streaming sites.

That said, I have no idea what those "risks" you refer to are. Maybe it's because I run Linux everywhere but not once have I had a computer problem that traces back to a torrented download. I've gotten one notice from an ISP in my life, and it was because I downloaded an episode of a popular live-action show. I've had three ISPs in this period; not one of them ever said anything about downloading anime.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:05 am Reply with quote
JeffreySweeney wrote:
I'd like to own the Vampire Princess Miyu TV series, but I'm not paying $150+ for a brand new DVD set

If you have a region free DVD layer then the UK set is £30.

Lightsbane wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
Not every series gets localized. Some of the manga I read are obscure enough that none of the major publishers are licensing them, forcing me to search for these sites to actually be able to read the stuff.

Okay, but do you then buy a copy of the Japanese version so the artists get money? You can do it through Bookwalker for less than $5 for most manga. If not, you're just a leech.

The problem with BOOK☆WALKER is their absolutely draconian approach to DRM.

If you’re just “paying your dues” through BookWalker and actually reading scanlations... does it really matter that much?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Aresef

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:08 am Reply with quote
Sounds reasonable to me. Them's the laws.

But--and this is not necessarily a defense of piracy--I wonder what the role of Kissanime and sites like it (thinking early Crunchyroll) were in fostering the growth of anime fandom outside Japan? I'm thinking about this as I struggle to assemble a Kamen Rider belt display, the kind of thing that might not have been sold in America but for the passion of fans who watched, well, fansubs for all this time.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:23 am Reply with quote
I heard about this on Twitter. Had to do some research because I had no clue what kissanime was. I don’t think I’ve ever used one of those illegal streaming sites.

I can’t recall the last time I pirated/torrented stuff. Maybe the Cardcaptor Sakura BD rips many years ago (liked what I saw, ended up buying it twice since) If I like something now I usually budget it out and make a DVD/BD purchase.
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:26 am Reply with quote
We lost a couple but more will prop up, and there are better alternatives anyway. Piracy won't go away. I'll just have to live with the fact that I won't get anymore kiss in my life Sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:40 am Reply with quote
Buy Blu-Rays/DVDs, FFS. You can get some pretty good deals at Right Stuf, provided the title’s in stock. For everything else, there are other ways that don’t give money to crooks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Buy Blu-Rays/DVDs, FFS. You can get some pretty good deals at Right Stuf, provided the title’s in stock. For everything else, there are other ways that don’t give money to crooks.

I actually wanted to buy New Game Seasons 1 and 2 from Right Stuf, but they were out of stock at the time. I don't usually shop on Amazon, but I checked there and they had it in stock brand new and for significantly cheaper than Right Stuf. I also picked up Those Who Hunt Elves on Bluray, which I also wanted, and got free shipping.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:22 pm Reply with quote
There are some good ad-free alternatives out there if you must stream.

I think we need to have some kind of class on teaching zoomers how to torrent though. KissAnime subscribed to the Apple mentality of making things extremely simple and discouraging learning something with a few more steps, which I think is a very normal and healthy part of using technology. (Remember when kids knew HTML because of their MySpace layouts? Better times...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
I honestly never understood the point of these illegal streaming sites if you had to pirate. Why wouldn't people just go for torrents, which is safer, better quality, and you can have access to the files without the internet and on multiple devices?

Depends on what you are trying to be safer from. If you are trying to protect your computer, you are probably right. But if you are trying protect your bank account from severely harsh fines and penalities, you are probably wrong. When you download a torrent, you also become an uploader too, and that is where they nail you to the earth. They haven't done it in awhile, since the mentioned Funimation attacks, but you never know.
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
Funimation tried that by trying to take 197 "currently unknown users" to court in one giant case. We know how that went.

How did it go down, actually. I seem to remember Funimation taking everybody to court who didn't pay the enormous fines. Those that fought had to pay their legal fees too, along with the fines and court fees.
It was never intended to end piracy, but rather make everyone think twice about torrenting Funimation titles, and possible Funimation titles.
Albion Hero wrote:
I haven't used one of these kinds of sites for nearly a decade, since everything gets legally streamed these days.

For anime as others have mentioned, that is not really true, For manga that is not even close to being true.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:11 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Also To all of you mentioning torrents. They really arent a very good option for everyone and you need to quickly realize that and while may not be as dangerous as kissanime became it also carries it's own risks. May eventually have to search out another site eventually. There were some shows I had on a watchlist that weren't available anywhere to watch.

I began torrenting shows in the mid 2000's before the days of legal streaming. I still torrent the occasional obscure show like the 2000 Madhouse adaptation of Tezuka's Hidamari no Ki. I also torrent some Netflix exclusives like Violet Evergarden or Carole & Tuesday because I'm a Netflix subscriber but have no interest in waiting for them to bundle up episodes. Otherwise I watch everything on legal streaming sites.

That said, I have no idea what those "risks" you refer to are. Maybe it's because I run Linux everywhere but not once have I had a computer problem that traces back to a torrented download. I've gotten one notice from an ISP in my life, and it was because I downloaded an episode of a popular live-action show. I've had three ISPs in this period; not one of them ever said anything about downloading anime.

Tars tarka explained it way better than I could have in a later post. Chances are extremely akim yes but there are still risks with torrents vs say just watching something on a video player (in a sense you can claim more innocence doing the latter vs the former)
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't even thought about manga.
Yeah, considering the enormous amount of series that gets serialized and how few (understandably) get localized, consuming manga legally is more of a collector's obsession.
Sure there is enough if "reading manga, no matter what kind" is your end goal, but if you want specific series well, you better pray they become very popular.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Finally. I didn't think that the day would ever come, but here we are.

Don't get me wrong, I think sharing of anime is not a bad thing by default, like fansubs are often a good thing or how torrenting often is the only way to find uncensored or older obscure material.
But I always hated how sites like KissAnime and some other sites like that "steal" fansubs or even DVD rips in order to make quite a amount of money through ads.

It's one thing to do something as a hobby and share it with fans, but another thing if it's used on a big scale like that in order to generate income.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Depends on what you are trying to be safer from. If you are trying to protect your computer, you are probably right. But if you are trying protect your bank account from severely harsh fines and penalities, you are probably wrong. When you download a torrent, you also become an uploader too, and that is where they nail you to the earth. They haven't done it in awhile, since the mentioned Funimation attacks, but you never know.

How did it go down, actually. I seem to remember Funimation taking everybody to court who didn't pay the enormous fines. Those that fought had to pay their legal fees too, along with the fines and court fees.
It was never intended to end piracy, but rather make everyone think twice about torrenting Funimation titles, and possible Funimation titles.

They never went to court. You don't drag 1337 people into a court room. The case was thrown out by the court almost immediately for being frivolous. No legal fees. Torreting anime has virtually zero risk because it's so niche. You might get a letter from your ISP, but it's widely known they won't do anything, especially if it's not an actual big Hollywood company ordering them to do so. One thrown out case in the past 10 years isn't a precedent . And if you're truly that concerned about it you can just use a VPN.

As for why people stream illegally rather than torrent, it's usually because they either don't know how or convenience. Streaming has always been a matter of convenience over quality or variety. They just want to watch a show. People who want actual collections or archives in high quality will either buy disks or torrent the original 1080P/4K files. Not that it particularly matters... there's still tons of other illegal streaming sites people will use. Kissanime was notoriously one of the most awful ones that nobody with any sense used.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
As a Kannazuki no Miko fan, I’m saddened by a lack of a good legal site to watch the series subbed. The only way to to watch it is through the English dub, but I want to watch the Japanese version. CR doesn’t have KNM, Funimation doesn’t have KNM, not even Netflix!
I could use Kiss, but they have that stupid ad locking nonsense for some reason.

Even worse, this makes me worried about the future of a English translation of the recently released spin off manga.

Sad
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
I honestly never understood the point of these illegal streaming sites if you had to pirate. Why wouldn't people just go for torrents, which is safer, better quality, and you can have access to the files without the internet and on multiple devices? Not that I'd advocate for piracy, but it just seems a far way better way to do it if you had to. Illegal streaming sites just seem to be asking for viruses, wanting low quality and lack of convenience. A decade ago before everything (that mattered) was streamed, torrents were the way I went.

I never had any idea that places like KissAnime were so much bigger than torrents until I saw the post earlier saying that only 80k people torrented a popular episode vs millions of views on KissAnime. Wow.

Speaking for myself, I tend to watch a lot of anime on my phone nowadays, so torrents arent a great option.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9