• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Meet the Creative Minds Behind Saturday AM Comics

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wing-zero-strike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
if they get adaptations in the future, would work best in TV channels or streaming services?

At this point, I think the market for material like this is mostly in streaming, and I would probably see it more as a Crunchyroll kind of thing.

That said, many of the series like Clock Striker seem like a natural fit for a "Saturday Morning cartoon" vibe (uh... hence the name, apparently). If Nickelodeon or Disney X.D ever got serious about having more of an original action animation lineup like in years past, or if Hulu, or HBO Max ever wanted to step in that realm, I'd like to think (hope?) that there's untapped market potential there.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:16 pm Reply with quote
wing-zero-strike wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
if they get adaptations in the future, would work best in TV channels or streaming services?

At this point, I think the market for material like this is mostly in streaming, and I would probably see it more as a Crunchyroll kind of thing.

That said, many of the series like Clock Striker seem like a natural fit for a "Saturday Morning cartoon" vibe (uh... hence the name, apparently). If Nickelodeon or Disney X.D ever got serious about having more of an original action animation lineup like in years past, or if Hulu, or HBO Max ever wanted to step in that realm, I'd like to think (hope?) that there's untapped market potential there.

I see then. And Netflix and FUNimation?
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:10 am Reply with quote
You guys are debating about the quality of the work and here I am just wondering why the flame wielding girl on the left of the promo art is wearing what looks like thick stockings over her jeans. When the art is shrunk to the side bars pic it makes her look like she's not wearing any pants until you see the pocket outlines. At least for a brief second until you do a double take.
wing-zero-strike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

I don't see why not for either. Of all the streaming services, the one putting the most effort into both original animation and younger skewing action animation is Netflix, so they would probably be a good fit. (Netflix is my least favorite of the streaming services, but that's down to a bunch of my own odd personal preferences).

FUNimation is probably the most unlikely fit, IMO. I don't think they've done much in the way of non-Japanese original properties with their streaming service. But, so far the "Crunchyroll Originals" initiative seems to be better received than I expected, so maybe FUNi will get into that game as well.

Ultimately, if some of the better stories of Saturday AM Comics get adapted with decent quality, non-CG animation, I'd be happy wherever it shows up!
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:18 pm Reply with quote
wing-zero-strike wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

I don't see why not for either. Of all the streaming services, the one putting the most effort into both original animation and younger skewing action animation is Netflix, so they would probably be a good fit. (Netflix is my least favorite of the streaming services, but that's down to a bunch of my own odd personal preferences).

FUNimation is probably the most unlikely fit, IMO. I don't think they've done much in the way of non-Japanese original properties with their streaming service. But, so far the "Crunchyroll Originals" initiative seems to be better received than I expected, so maybe FUNi will get into that game as well.

Ultimately, if some of the better stories of Saturday AM Comics get adapted with decent quality, non-CG animation, I'd be happy wherever it shows up!

Oh yes indeed. And technically speaking, Radiant is from a French comic, so you could say it’s one of their rarest non-Japanese works.

And apart from the two sites, I’m wondering for Tokyopop OELs or even some English language light novels from sites like Wattpad and RoyalRoads.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
You guys are debating about the quality of the work and here I am just wondering why the flame wielding girl on the left of the promo art is wearing what looks like thick stockings over her jeans.
Ah yes, the important questions. I think she's wearing jean shorts (that have turned up cuffs) over a pair of stockings.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Cryten wrote:
You guys are debating about the quality of the work and here I am just wondering why the flame wielding girl on the left of the promo art is wearing what looks like thick stockings over her jeans.
Ah yes, the important questions. I think she's wearing jean shorts (that have turned up cuffs) over a pair of stockings.

They're called Jorts, and John Cena wants a cut of his royalties.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2