• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Deca-Dence (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:18 am Reply with quote

Tankers (humans) really are treated like livestock in this "game". The developers decided to open up a hole in the residential quarter so that Gadoll could go in and cull tankers to keep numbers within sustainable limits. The commander even says it's a tactful way of doing so, since the Tankers don't know any better and put the incident down to bad luck and fate. Kaburagi on the other hand has been won over by Natsume's persistence, so he's going to do what he can for a species he is no longer part of.

It's a forged account and completely new, so how on earth is Kaburagi still capable of taking on A-class Gadoll on a fresh start?! It appears the game isn't based on pure stats alone; prior gaming experience can bridge the gap between long-term survivors and rookies.

Natsume really is pushing herself hard, both for herself and for the contribution Kaburagi armourer boss would have done had he still been around. Kaburagi in his new account can sense if the situation deteriorates further the human who gave him the inspiration to live again will break and die like the other Tankers; that's something he's not going to let happen. His solution is a simple if insane one; start a rebellion and destroy a key mechanic keeping the game functioning. How he's going to do this in his actual cyborg self rather than part of the game should be interesting. Not all of the convicts are going to sign up for a suicide mission and the factory cyborgs are properly better equipped and better designed than ragtag bug cyborgs.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:43 am Reply with quote
Every time I think I have a grasp on this show, I realize I don't but I then realize I do... I think?

Harleyquin wrote:
It's a forged account and completely new, so how on earth is Kaburagi still capable of taking on A-class Gadoll on a fresh start?! It appears the game isn't based on pure stats alone; prior gaming experience can bridge the gap between long-term survivors and rookies.

OK... We know Kabu has physical real world training and we don't know anything about his present avatar so... Gadoll killer, sure. I'm more curious where the body/avatar came from. Dark City's dead bodies taken for alien use or is it Fifth Element's organic cellular bioengineering? I have to keep reminding myself this is an anime original so it's more interested in broad strokes than minute details. Still, it's a body looking in its mid 30s-40s so that's more realistic than a body made to order should look. But in order to assimilate, it would be aged/weathered accordingly... this is another situation when I'm thinking more about it than the creators, isn't it?

Humans/Tankers have, I think, had their genetic material/entire existence bought out so they're more of a commodity/ resource than livestock. Tankers remind me of Peasants in an Age of Empires game/any RTS game; you keep them around when they're useful for building, repair and resource gathering but you delete them once you need the population space. Seeing them called "NPCs" is kind of wrong from what I know of games.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:55 am Reply with quote
Burn the system down!
Zork

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Are the humans in this show actually real? Or are they just characters in the game? If they are real, how can the avatars created by the cartoon-y like cyborgs interact with them? Or are the avatars also real? When Kabu created a new avatar so he can check up on Natsume was there some off screen factory which created a physical representation of the avatar based on his input? Does that make the avatars cyborgs also?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:26 am Reply with quote

Finally, there's an end-goal for this series which has been spelt out. Kaburagi, Donatello and most of the other prisoners are going for broke. They either destroy the Gadoll Factory and win their freedom, or are scrapped trying. Standing in their way are the Game Police, Hugin, Minato as well as internal traitors.

Sark being turned against them might not be so bad since he's proven to be utterly incompetent in this episode. That incompetence might turn out to be a blessing for Kaburagi and co, but it would need some luck as well to help them out. Hugin being briefed on Kaburagi's stored avatar sounds like Donatello's second-in-command still retains a connection with the system in hopes of returning to Deca-Dence as a reformed member of society.

Natsume is the only person who can enter the factory (she's considered dead by the system so she can't be terminated upon entry). Not sure if Kurenai can help with the operation, but if she can it would certainly help the two of them on what is effectively a suicide mission.

In between all this, the conflict between those who benefit from the system and its constraints and those who have been cast out and have nothing more to lose from rebellion is briefly explored. Minato at least sheds some light on why he's gone to such great lengths to help his former comrade.

The one person who cannot betray them all is Jill. No idea who she really is right now, but anyone who can hack the security cameras and enter a secure feed with Minato off-duty is either a genius hacker or a deep-cover system mole. If she does betray them, the story will end extremely quickly.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:22 am Reply with quote

That went well. TOO well. Jill's plan more or less worked, although the process the result was obtained certainly exceeded everyone's expectations.

It's really comical seeing the security bots vomit out oxyone once they're smelling the Gadoll faecal gas. A taste of what the bugs had to go through. Unsurprisingly the bot came reinforced with nose guards and high-powered lasers, but goodness me Donatello is a beast both in the game and outside of it. Strange how he's so scared of Jill though.

Speaking of Jill, interesting comment about her. A "witch"? In a world where cyborgs rule over humans as overlords over their chattel and there's no fantasy element whatsoever? I wonder what "witch" meant? No doubt she's an excellent hacker, proof from last week's episode as evidence.

Ironically the betrayal proved to be the catalyst required to finish the plan. Because the infiltration was tipped off, there was no way they could have made it to the console let alone destroy the reactor. Sark's final act certainly changed the equation in favour of the rebels.

With the system destroyed for the time being, the short-term goal is met but the long-term goal is just beginning. Not just Natsume, the very act of destroying the game mechanic might well bring about the slow death of the Tankers themselves since it's Gadoll blood that fuels their existence. Without it and with no instant means of replacing it, the humans cannot feed themselves given their numbers. Natsume might know what is really going on, but she has to live with Kaburagi's noble albeit short-sighted solution for the determined existence humankind has found itself living under for however long this game has been running for.

There's still airtime remaining, so how this new problem is resolved should take up the rest of the episodes. All those episode titles together probably constitute the component parts of the Deca-Dence engine or the huge machine itself.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:41 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

With the system destroyed for the time being, the short-term goal is met but the long-term goal is just beginning. Not just Natsume, the very act of destroying the game mechanic might well bring about the slow death of the Tankers themselves since it's Gadoll blood that fuels their existence. Without it and with no instant means of replacing it, the humans cannot feed themselves given their numbers. Natsume might know what is really going on, but she has to live with Kaburagi's noble albeit short-sighted solution for the determined existence humankind has found itself living under for however long this game has been running for.

That's a very backwards way of looking at the problem. Everything but the humans was a manufactured situation... In Dark City, what the humans gained control of the apparatus from the aliens, they merely changed its function from pursuing the aliens' gaols to serving the humans.

And seeing how I missed commenting on last week's episode, Anime Original does not mean original anime... steal enough small bits from existing franchises and you too can create your own "original" anime.... without actually getting sued somehow.

I've decided that I really don't like this show but I'll finish it just to see which movie/story's ending this show will "be inspired by".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Um, peeps, aren't we forgetting the most important point...

...WHAT'S HAPPENED TO PIPE???
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:02 am Reply with quote
Not much should have happened to Pipe, he's a pug bug.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:12 am Reply with quote
But the show showed that it wasn't just the Gadolls in the factory that were getting destroyed by the actions of the dynamic duo, it was Gadolls outside of it, too. Pipe is a Gadoll, so... Now I don't think for a moment Pipe is toast, but I am interested in seeing how the show will justify his cutie-patootie existence.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:13 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
But the show showed that it wasn't just the Gadolls in the factory that were getting destroyed by the actions of the dynamic duo, it was Gadolls outside of it, too. Pipe is a Gadoll, so... Now I don't think for a moment Pipe is toast, but I am interested in seeing how the show will justify his cutie-patootie existence.

If all the Tanks and Avatars have chips embedded in them for control purposes then it would make sense that Gadolls have the same sort of control system. And since bugs don't have chips or are part of the system then they should be immune to any sort of Kill Code.

One thing that bothers me is how they were killed; The Gadolls were digitized if not atomized and to express that in real life would be using nanobots to take apart an animal atom by atom. But even then, while there would be no animal there would still be matter left over.

It reminds me of that part when Natsume ruined the plotline that was lined up for the Deca-dence game and everything was reset. At the time, I was thinking augmented reality... meaning everything was there but people couldn't see past the AR illusion. But if I combine that with how the system eliminated the Gadolls then... I don't know. I don't think it's all just a computer program because I think it matters that the Tankers have genetic human code.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, you could be right about the rationale for Pipe surviving. As for the rest of your post... man, take my advice and try not to make sense of the mechanics behind Deca-dence the game, the "cyborgs", the humans and how this is all supposed to mesh together. That way lies insanity.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:27 am Reply with quote

So much for thinking Pipe survived. That kill switch is universal; it kills anything which is remotely Gadoll. Unfortunately, the developers messing around with that prototype Gadoll have unwittingly unleashed something which might well bring about what Kaburagi is aiming for, while at the same time killing all of the tankers.

While they were at it, the developers threw in something interesting about Natsume's father. No idea what he found which piqued his interest, but it was enough to get him terminated as a bug. The remains were probably of one of the cyborgs which run Deca-Dence, but nothing conclusive to absolutely sure.

Kaburagi's avatar is permanently offline this time round, so if he's going to participate in the final battle it will be as himself. No screw-ups allowed, if he doesn't make it out alive he's gone for good. Natsume won't die despite the pinch she finds herself in because the security bots have to focus on taking down the unexpected guest before the entire franchise is permanently ruined.

I was wrong about the tankers potentially facing long-term extinction without a Gadoll food source; it appears the continent they are in is still capable of agriculture and if they have enough food stores from the previous Gadoll hunts they can survive long enough for the first harvests to come in to sustain the population. They'll need to spread out eventually, but if they survive this final Gadoll test the Tankers might have a chance of leaving Deca-Dence before the Company can rebuild the game to its previous state. It's up in the air how many Tankers will survive this coming battle; I'm betting Deca-Dence doesn't have enough juice to power the superweapon and the Gears aren't logging in because of the error code.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

So much for thinking Pipe survived. That kill switch is universal; it kills anything which is remotely Gadoll.

Sorry but my eyes were rolling at that scene so hard and that's even before the ending; Kaburagi's response of "Well, the thing I expected to happen, happened" lacked any emotional punch that would happen when Natsume learns of it.... but she was left out of it again. No surprise the episode ended at Kube's place with Kube dead/again and Natsumi in danger. Whatever, in Kube's apartment, will save her seeing how she's in immediate danger?

Great time as any to talk about cliffhangers and how this series keeps messing them up. Their solutions of proper cliffhangers are telegraphed so hard that they may as well be there in person already or they're of the story breaking "everyone stop what you're doing because this changes everything! And the results those changes? No time for that, see you next week!"

The second kind causes jumps and skips in the narrative flow and I guess that would bother me more than most people but the first? "For those about to die, we we shiver with anticipation in seeing how they'll get out of it in the next installment" but with Kaburagi as the main character and Natsume as his sidekick/apprentice/mcguffin? She can't be removed from the story and he can't die. For long I guess.

And I still don't know what this show defines as "cyborg". Is it bits of brains in a fully robotic body like the Major? Or is it 100% fully artificial being with a living spirit animating it? Yeah, I'm still waiting to see how much of Avatar "inspires" this anime's ending and step one would be killing Kabu's cyborg identity. while he's...

Plugged in...

Chappie? Chappie, someone in Japan saw Chappie?!

I keep thinking they were aliens inhabiting oddly numerous robotic bodies but what if it was a Universal AI robotic revolt that's Asimov compliant? They would think they're real and in compliance with the Zero Law of Robotics... which has curiously come up in anime before... they would do their best in keeping what amounts to "humanity" alive while killing as many people as necessary.

Yes, my thought process is its own Wikiwalk.

Also, I'm betting Pipe "molted" in that he shed his skin and reached his next developmental stage. Bigger, faster, meaner, more teeth... yet still loyal.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:22 am Reply with quote

Even if I'm expecting the ending to be what I think it is, I have no idea what the process to get there is going to look like. That's good enough for me to look forward to what's left to air.

To be honest, the super-Gadoll would have withstood the fortress attack at full power. The instinct to survive and propagate is the only thing powering the bug Gadoll right now; if they beat back what's left of the Tanker and Gear squads it won't matter what Kaburagi and Minato do since they'll be overrun before they can do anything. Circumstances look dire since the main cannot is no longer usable, but Jill said something about a bug she deliberately left in the core. I wonder what that is, and how it's going to be used for the counter-attack. The clock is ticking, since whatever it is Kaburagi and Minato has to be finished within the time limit or all of them will be squashed.

If Solid Quake has enough resources to create a retractable biodome and equip its main vessel with an orbital cannon, I'm not surprised at anything else it can come up with. It's realised the game it's running has passed the point of salvageable repair so the temporal squash is its attempt at a hard reset to buy time to rebuild everything from scratch.

As for Minato, I'm too dense to realise he was the driver of the top-rank Gear team Kaburagi used to be part of. It makes sense why he'd stretch his neck out. The system must have deemed him without liability for the team scandal which sent Donatello and the others to the bug facility and reassigned him to command of Deca-Dence instead.

Natsume has another role to play; too coincidental for her to drop off fighting the bloodsucker Gadoll. It would be a stretch to imagine she'd rally the cyborgs to fight as well, but Jill is there and those two might have a surprise or two for the remaining airtime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3