• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shonen Jump's Undead Unluck Wins Tsugi ni Kuru Manga 2020 Awards

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anoud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
HOW!? Confused
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Anoud wrote:
HOW!? Confused

LOL...I didn't want to be the first person asking that, so thanks.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:52 pm Reply with quote
It's not my cup of tea, but apparently once you get past the early chapters, Undead Unluck becomes really, really good. I heard rumors saying it's been dominating the weekly votes.

Weird seeing Mitama Security up there considering it just ended last week though.

(I wonder if Act Age would have made a spot if it wasn't for that recent case.)
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:01 pm Reply with quote
What!? Mashle: Magic & Muscles been rob!
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:12 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
It's not my cup of tea, but apparently once you get past the early chapters, Undead Unluck becomes really, really good. I heard rumors saying it's been dominating the weekly votes.

Weird seeing Mitama Security up there considering it just ended last week though.

(I wonder if Act Age would have made a spot if it wasn't for that recent case.)

As you’ve said once you get past the early chapters, Undead Unluck does hit its stride and satisfies that itch Gintama left behind in the magazine. It’s been blowing up in Japan (especially with its recent arc), so it doesn’t really shock me that it won. Act Age would’ve undoubtedly gotten it, had it not been for the scandal.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Shonen Jump series is licensed by Viz Media and is available to read in both print and digital.

In Japan yes, but Viz has made no mention if they plan to print UxU. (Please Viz I really want to own this in English!)

Anyways, Undead Unluck has got to be one of my favorite series in Shonen Jump at the moment, just behind Chainsaw Man and My Hero. Once you get past the first couple chapters which I admit were kinda weird and do not represent the series as a whole, it has amazingly choreographed fights and double spread art, unique world building and expected character abilities, and pretty decent humor. I always save it for last when I read the Sunday Jump chapters because it without fail leaves me with a smile and waiting for more. I really hope more people get into it (and especially hope it doesn't get axed), it seems criminally underrated.

As for Mashle (hope this isn't too off-topic but it got 11th place and the two series started almost at the same time), I've been reading it since the beginning as well, as while I liked it at the beginning, lately it's been kinda going downhill. It makes the same creampuff and mindless muscles beats magic all the time and just isn't funny anymore. Lately it's been doing a stale baddy-of-the-week fighting that I end up forgetting by the next week. I know the similarity to Harry Potter is kinda a parody but it just rubs me off as unoriginal, and the MC just seems like a Saitama clone with even less character development. Don't get me wrong I'll probably keep reading until it ends but I personally haven't been enjoying it too much lately.
#810704 wrote:
Act Age would’ve undoubtedly gotten it, had it not been for the scandal.

I thought I read that this award was reserved for series that started in the last year, which AA would not be eligible for.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly I only read like one chapter of UxU and it was just so skeevy it killed any interest I had in the series. I had a quick look at a newer chapter a few weeks ago but I guess because I didn't know all the stuff in between it was kind of boring. I think I'm also not a fan of the art style.

In regards to the web comic results, I'm glad Tis Time for Torture is so high! I would love for Haruhara to get another one of his series animated, and this one seems primed to achieve that. I'm so happy for him, and it's such a good manga.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I hated this manga in the beginning (I'm just not too fond of the perverted depiction in the early visuals), but as I read it, it's actually very intriguing and can surprisingly maintain its thrilling pacing, with more than few agitating cliffhangers. The somewhat vulgar depiction is still there, since it's closely related to the main character's ability, but for good or for worse, the mc at least isn't depicted to look perverted or enjoying what he's doing in that way. The art which seems to me to lean more on classic shounen is also a plus. It's become my favorite among new titles at the moment.

Edit: after actually reading the article, wow, Mashle is way down than I expected.

Last edited by Dian Z on Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Huh. One talkback thread for the two pieces on the winners?

Quote:
Second place went to another Shueisha title, this time writer Rikito Nakamura and artist Yukiko Nozawa's comedy romance Kimi no koto ga Dai Dai Dai Dai Daisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo. The series is published on the Shonen Jump+ app but is not currently available in English. The series follows the perpetually broken-hearted Aijō who meets the God of Love after praying at a shrine. The god tells him he will meet 100 girls fated to fall in love with him but if his relationship with them fails, they'll die in a cruel twist of fate.

For those who are curious, the title translates to "The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You", and it is the most gloriously insane harem manga I have ever read. I don't even mind that it's doomed to one day collapse under the weight of its expanding cast.

(I just hope it becomes popular enough for the people who write soulmark fics on AO3 to catch wind of it.)

harminia wrote:
Admittedly I only read like one chapter of UxU and it was just so skeevy it killed any interest I had in the series.

For what it's worth, while I was displeased by the skeeviness too, it gets dialed way down quick.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing this huge victory means Undead Unluck is hear to stay. Nice.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Thoroughly enjoying UxU everything about it is intriguing and it doesn't pull punches like most shonen manga do. Mashle, on the other hand, was a struggle to get through the first chapter and I could never go back. It's just Mob Psycho with muscles crammed into Black Clover. There wasn't a single thing about it that felt original and the MC isn't even a likable idiot.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:04 am Reply with quote
Undead Unluck isn’t bad, after it dials down the groping and expands on its world building. I missed a bunch of chapters in the middle, but I started reading the latest arc and it’s pretty good. Still wondering if the story is going to seriously ship the teenage girl protagonist with the ageless immortal adult protagonist...

But I’m scratching my head at Agravity Boys at # 6. I read the first few arcs, and it seems to have one joke.
MetalGarurumon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:46 am Reply with quote
Kimi no koto ga Dai Dai Dai Dai Daisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo, Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru and Yofukashi no Uta are much better than Undead Unluck...

What the fudge is doing Agravity Boys in sixth place? lol.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:03 am Reply with quote
For the sake of this post, "more recent" or "newer" counts WSJ titles that began regular serialization on 1/1/2015 or later. Given the fact that various "more recent"/"newer" tend to have shorter publication lifespans, I suppose those said titles lasting at least a year will be quite the accomplishment. Heck, unless they are those really popular titles like "My Hero" them lasting at least 10 vol. would be an ever bigger accomplishment.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Great to see Destroy all creatures here, it's a real blessing of a work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2